Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plumbing Isometric

Login to Give a bone

Default Plumbing Isometric

Has anyone ever used a 3D view for a plumbing isometric with annotation, sizing, etc. We have been doing them in CAD, which seems kinda silly.

Any thoughts?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Plumbing Isometric

Quote Originally Posted by mparks.161070 View Post
    Has anyone ever used a 3D view for a plumbing isometric with annotation, sizing, etc. We have been doing them in CAD, which seems kinda silly.

Any thoughts?
    Yes that's an interesting one....the same has occured to me in the past, too.
    The concept of producing ANY type of schematic drawing in Revit, be it an isometric, or a "flat" schematic (air schematic / piping schematic etc) is something that I just cannot come to terms with!
    For one, it is not part of the model.
    Also, there are no co-ordination benefits, as it purely a topological (is that the right word?) representation of the design intent.
    And there is certainly no benefit in "spinning it around" in 3D! Why would you ever WANT to look at a schematic from a different angle!!!

So, can someone please explain? Are there any benefits? I cannot think of any.
    Last edited by Michael.c; 2009-03-19 at 05:29 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: Plumbing Isometric

a 3d view will not give you a true 30/60 riser
    you cannot break lines to indicate crossings
    a simple system "may" work on some projects

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by michael.crowhurst View Post
    Yes that's an interesting one....the same has occured to me in the past, too.
    The concept of producing ANY type of schematic drawing in Revit, be it an isometric, or a "flat" schematic (air schematic / piping schematic etc) is something that I just cannot come to terms with!
    For one, it is not part of the model.
    Also, there are no co-ordination benefits, as it purely a topological (is that the right word?) representation of the design intent.
    And there is certainly no benefit in "spinning it around" in 3D! Why would you ever WANT to look at a schematic from a different angle!!!

So, can someone please explain? Are there any benefits? I cannot think of any.
    Actually, the benefits are obvious, one we must provide riser diagrams to get plans approved in many areas of the U.S., so since the Risers are required, the benefit of an Automatic Riser Diagram is that it would always be up to date with the changes made in the drawings.

Having to create this manually is a coordination nightmare, if you change something on the floor plans, it should be updated everywhere, this includes schematic plans.

So again, the benefit is that the Riser diagram would always be up to date and since the riser is required, we need a way to accomplish this.

As for the 3-D thing, yes that is one way that we have considered using to get around this issue, but unfortunately you can't put in tags in a 3-D view, only dumb text that will not update when you change a fixture.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cwade.109269 View Post
    Actually, the benefits are obvious, one we must provide riser diagrams to get plans approved in many areas of the U.S.
    Well yes ok, the benefits of a schematic as such are obvious. of course. I interpreted the question as being "what are the benefits of having a 3 dimensional schematic" and THAT is where I fail to see any benefit.

So again, the benefit is that the Riser diagram would always be up to date and since the riser is required, we need a way to accomplish this.
    I can see that the "automatic update" of the information / engineering data within a single line "flat" schematic would be beneficial.

Login to Give a bone

As for the 3-D thing, yes that is one way that we have considered using to get around this issue, but unfortunately you can't put in tags in a 3-D view, only dumb text that will not update when you change a fixture.
    Your right, a 3d section box seems to be the best solution at this point in time, problem is like yo said you can not tag pipes nor equipment in this view, which eliminates any parametric portion of annotation you have in a 3d iso. Other problems you will find is the breaking of pipes to show them not intersecting, its very difficult to create a good working iso from a 3d view, but it can be done. I hope to see this issue addressed in the 2010 release, it has been mentioned several times.

Login to Give a bone

I wouldn't expect much from 2010.

All AUGI, all the time JoelLondenberg's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mparks.161070 View Post

Any thoughts?
    This is the method we've settled on - see the attached picture. It seems to be the most BIMish option, all the views and annotations are as parametric as possible. The ISO/3D view isn't noted up, but we place it directly adjacent to the plan view and plbg wall elevation views. The 3D view helps you to orient yourself, the flat views give the detail.

I think that there is a good chance we will be able to argue this method through most any plan check office, for the ones that won't accept it - it's back to the drawing board...er...drafting view.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Joel- Have you found that when plotted it can be very difficult to identify which pipes are not supposed to connect since there is no "pipe breaking" if you will. In color it looks great and easy to see your different systems and follow it, but when in black and white its much more difficult. Im assuming you issue in black and white plots. What has your experience been with this?

Login to Give a bone

This is something that I have questions with as well. We are using Revit 2011 now and there still seems to be no good solution for Plumbing Isometrics. At this point if the pluumbing plan is in anyway complicated we draw up the schematic in AutoCAD and import it into Revit as a drafting view to note it up. I like the idea of a 3D view that could be used as a solution but there are still to many problems associated with it.I wish ( maybe this would be best suited for a wishlist) there was some means for revit to create a Node to Node relationship between plumbing fixture that are associated on a system. Then I could go in and adjust that node to node view and make it visble and mark it up. This would be an ideal way of dealing with Plumbing Schemartics. Then as floor plans are adjusted, the schematic would update, The idea of Revit is that information only has to be input once, but for Plumbing this is not entirely accurate yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast