Thread: Filtering Elements to Display in Different Views

Login to Give a bone

Default Filtering Elements to Display in Different Views

I have a project that is fairly equipment and furniture intensive and I'm trying to figure out the best way to filter all the different elements to be visible or invisible in the correct views.

I've created yes/no parameters for the various items such as: "Requires Backing?", "Structural Impact?", "Electrical Impact?", etc. But because of the way filters seems to work, once an item gets filtered out because it doesn't require backing, for example, there's no way to filter it back in if it does have an electrical impact.

How is everyone else handling this?

Do I still need to create parameters as straightforward as "Include on FF&E Plans?" and "Include on Architectural Plans?" in order to effectively filter elements on and off in different views?

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Filtering Elements to Display in Different Views

Ordinarily, I would create multiple sheets and then use Visibility Graphics (VG on the keyboard) to filter various elements. You can drill a fair way down in most items if you wish to, in some categories, down to the individual item level.

Cheers

Ian

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I strongly suggest that you used sub-categories (not parameters). Then you can easily achieve that with View Template.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dhurtubise View Post
    I strongly suggest that you used sub-categories (not parameters). Then you can easily achieve that with View Template.
    Sub-object definition within each "type/catagory of family are definitely the "best" way to go overall, and long-term. This will provide overal greater view flexibility, etc.

We use a combination of both. Creating Parameter(s) within a family catagory is still effective, as you can then create a View Filter to select them, and have the filter graphically change the appearance. This can then be applied via the View Templates.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought of sub-categories...

So suppose I'm going to make an Arch Plan, a Furniture Plan, and an Equipment Plan. Now the Furniture and Equipment plans are easy, but on the Arch plan, I want to show *some* of the furniture (a wall-mounted shelf that requires backing) and *some* of the equipment (because it's hardwired to the bldg).

Now since an element can't be in more than one sub-category, I can't create sub-categories for "Requires Backing" and "Requires Electricity", because a family may require both.

So I guess you are suggesting that for both the Furniture and Equipment categories, I create a sub-category called "Architecturally Significant", for example. Then I go into each furniture and equipment family and assign all the elements that make up that piece of furniture and assign them to the sub-category.

Doesn't that seem like a lot of work for something that I could achieve with a parameter?

Scott, you mentioned that you use both sub-categories and parameters. Could you give an example of how you use each?

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help.

Steve.

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

This is where you would use a filter.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by smail View Post
    Scott, you mentioned that you use both sub-categories and parameters. Could you give an example of how you use each?
    You have to understand view filters in a little more depth. View Filters have a couple of drawbacks as well (relatively minor). View filters cannot sort by Phase. I also do not believe that they are usable in Design Options (I could be wrong on that one). Using a large number of view filters in a large number of views in a large project will cause a performance slowdown. This is due to their having to do an additional sort/screen draw to bring the views up.

Design Options can sort on any parameter that can be scheduled. This means either a shared parameter or a project parameter. Once you understand these limitations, you can use them more effectively.

Yes, you can use just a parameter. But then you also need to make one or more filters, and enter date into that parameter to get them to work. As you alter, edit, or make families in the future, create additional sub-object categories in each of the families you create. This will eventually give greater flexibility, especially in schedules.