Thread: Annotative dimension bug

Login to Give a bone

Default Annotative dimension bug

I have been seeing this problem come up occasionally on our drawings since switching to annotative objects. I can't figure out how it is happening. It seems that at random it will change my text for certain dimensions to the actual paper text height. I think this has to do with having an annotative text style inside an annotative dimension style. Can anybody confirm this theory since I can't seem to make AutoCAD do this when I want it to. I will attach an example drawing that shows what the problem is.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Annotative dimension bug

I opened the drawing I had attached to my previous post and the problem is not showing on that one. Let's see if this one shows the problem. There are 2 or 3 dimensions on the drawing where the text is very small.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Which dimensions are you referring to? They all look fine to me.

Maybe it's a video card/ driver issue?

I just checked the OOTB annotive dimensions, and they do not use annotative text. Maybe that is the problem after all.
    Last edited by dzatto; 2009-03-25 at 05:40 PM.

Login to Give a bone

There is a 1 1/2" dimension at the left end of the beam marked 188B and there are a couple of 1 1/4" dimensions in section A. I'm not really sure what OOTB stands for but I checked the properties of the 1 1/2" dimension and the text is set to the same annotative text style as all the other dimensions.

Login to Give a bone

Oh, sorry. OOTB is Out Of The Box. Just stuff that is already set up in CAD.

I see the dimensions on the section now. I still don't see the one for the beam. There's a 1 1/2" dimension just under the letters RD. Is that the one? It looks normal in my drawing.

On the 1 1/4" dimensions, I did 2 different things and they both fixed the problem. I don't know why the problem exists, though.

The easiest thing is to do a matchproperties with a dimension that is showing up correct.

The second thing is to select the dimensions, and in the properties box, under text, retype in 1/8 for the height. It says that already, but when you retype it, the text resets and shows correctly.

I've never had that problem with my Anno text and dims.

Login to Give a bone

I also notice that your text style has a height associated with it. It's always best to set up your text styles with a height of 0. That way you can adjust them in you dimensions propeties if needed. If you give it a height, then you can't adjust them. That may also have something to do with it.

I also did a dimension update. I just typed Dim, then Update and selected those dimensions and they changed to be correct.

Still not sure why it's doing it.

Login to Give a bone

I think I know what to do to fix this. I think I need to set up another text style with the 0 height like you suggested and use that in my dimension style. The only reason the text has a height now is that we use the same style for everything else on the drawing and I was thinking I had to have it that way to be able to put text in the drawing.

I'm thinking that AutoCAD gets a little confused when you have the height in the text and the dimension style and it doesn't know which one to use.