Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob Question on setting elevations

Login to Give a bone

Default Noob Question on setting elevations

I am new to autocad, I am running 2009. I use a third party duct drawing progam that runs thru Autocad 2009. Now my question is how do I set up the drawing to be at zero elevation..or for that matter the elevation that the xrefs come in.(I use arch. drawings as the background).

the next question is how do I set up the 2nd floor elevation...which I assume would be like setting up the first floor elevation.
    Thanks a bunch in advance...this site has help me a ton so far!
    James

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Noob Question on setting elevations

Quote Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
    I am new to autocad, I am running 2009. I use a third party duct drawing progam that runs thru Autocad 2009. Now my question is how do I set up the drawing to be at zero elevation..or for that matter the elevation that the xrefs come in.(I use arch. drawings as the background).

the next question is how do I set up the 2nd floor elevation...which I assume would be like setting up the first floor elevation.
    Thanks a bunch in advance...this site has help me a ton so far!
    James
    General questions you need to answer so we can help you better...
    Are you drawing in 2D or 3D?
    Is the Arch drawing in 3D?

I don't know anything specific to 2009, but if you're drawing in 2D and you want to be at 0 elevation (which is the default) you type on the command line: "elevation" and hit <enter> and then type in "0" <enter>.

Also look into the variable "insbase" you want that set to 0,0,0 too.. for inserting xrefs at zero elevation.

Login to Give a bone

I am drawing in 3D and the arch. drawings are in 2D.

I hope I posed the question properly. Will those commands make the base z elevation o'-0"? Then for the next drawing for the 2nd floor I would use the 2nd floor finish elevation of 15'-0" as the 0'-0". I need to be able to xref the drawings in so they come in at the proper heights. I hope this makes sense....thanks for the help.

Just a thought I bet I can tell the x-ref what elevation to be.....or can I?

Login to Give a bone

As Ted said, 0 is acad's default elevation (z-value).
    When inserting blocks or attaching xrefs, you have the option to define the insertion point using 3 boxes labelled x, y and z; just enter the desired elevation in the z box. Or pick any object, including x-refs, and alter the z value in the properties manager. Also, if you snap to any existing object, its x, y and z-values are used (though you can turn that behaviour off).

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Ted and John
    So do most people draw multi-story building with each floor set at zero elevation then when you have to combine(for lack of a better word) them you change the z elevation to what it needs to be when you xref it in? I want to try and follow the standard out there and not go off on my own!
    Thanks again
    James

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Ted and John
    So do most people draw multi-story building with each floor set at zero elevation then when you have to combine(for lack of a better word) them you change the z elevation to what it needs to be when you xref it in? I want to try and follow the standard out there and not go off on my own!
    Thanks again
    James
    Are you using vanilla autocad or a vertical (like ACA or AMEP)?

I draw all my building in 3D using AEC objects (walls, doors, and stuff). These are in ACA, by the way. ACA has something called project navigator. In it, you set levels for each floor. When you draw, you tell project navigator what level you are drawing. When you design in the drawing itself, you are at a 0 elevation; but when you Xref the other levels, project navigator puts them at the correct elevations.

So, for example, you have your building with the finished floor at 0, and the second floor at 15'. In each of the drawings, they will both be at 0. But you tell project navigator that the second floor is at 15'. You associate the second floor drawings with the second floor level in project navigator. Now, when you Xref the second floor into the first floor, it automatically puts it at 15'.

It's pretty slick. Of course, that's only in ACA. If you're using vanilla cad, then I don't know how you would do it.

Login to Give a bone

dzatto,
    I am using just Autocad 2009 with a 3rd party duct drawing program.

It sounds like I draw each floor at 0 elevation then xref each floor in at it own elevation....if I am getting this.
    Thanks again guys

Login to Give a bone

By typing in "elevation' on the command line you can set the elevation that you draw at. You would have to be cognisent of what elevation you are at before you start drawing each time you open the drawing. Or you can draw everything at elevation 0, keeping the layers for each floor separate and through properties you can adjust the elevation of all items on that layer.

Login to Give a bone

dzatto,
    I am using just Autocad 2009 with a 3rd party duct drawing program.

It sounds like I draw each floor at 0 elevation then xref each floor in at it own elevation....if I am getting this.
    Thanks again guys
    You could do that. An easier way is to set you elevation for 15' when drawing the top floor. That changes your default elevation from 0 to 15' (or whatever you set it at). You do it by clicking the button that says elevation in the lower right hand corner of your ACAD tray.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jlubbert View Post
    By typing in "elevation' on the command line you can set the elevation that you draw at. You would have to be cognisent of what elevation you are at before you start drawing each time you open the drawing. Or you can draw everything at elevation 0, keeping the layers for each floor separate and through properties you can adjust the elevation of all items on that layer.
    Is that the same as the elevation button on the tray? Not really sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast