Thread: Clash Report Formatting?

Login to Give a bone

Default Clash Report Formatting?

I need to format my clash reports so that they are not "straddled" across the pagebreaks. Basically, the viewpoints/snapshots that reach across multiple pages aren't viewable. Please see attached screenshot (1st image is of the problematic pagebreaks within the PDF and the 2nd image is of the HTML report that I generated the PDF from).

I like the format that the HTML clash report generates, but when I print a hardcopy to a PDF it doesn't appear to be the same format as the HTML. Do I need to format within NavisWorks or through the PDF writer and how?

I've also noticed that when I get to about 2,000+ clashes, that I cannot print/convert the HTML clash report. Instead, I get an error and sometimes my computer doesn't even recognize that I sent the print command. Is this normal with such an abundance of clashes or am I missing steps? (Just to clarify, I like to "bind" the HTML and JPG's into one single PDF so that I don't have to transfer all of the necessary JPG's to the project server and that the person on the receiving end can simply print and take with them).

Is anybody producing clash reports through the HTML option with success? Some of the other NW guru's I've talked to don't even use the XML or HTML reports. Instead they generate their own reports with Excel. I don't want to hop on that Bandwagon until I've exhausted all formatting options with the original report written within NW first.

BTW, I am using NavisWorks Manage 2009.1

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Clash Report Formatting?

I do use HTML and XML. However I hyperlink these to a spreadsheet that shows the clash detection matrices. My final deliverable is a DVD or CD with all reports and the spreadsheet. Instead of opening each HTML file, the excel spreadsheet is opened and hyperlinks open the HTML.

I can definitely see the benefit of formatting the html file to print on pagebreaks...It might take some more advanced editing of the xml file though. Interesting thoughts....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mitch.cornelius View Post
    I do use HTML and XML. However I hyperlink these to a spreadsheet that shows the clash detection matrices. My final deliverable is a DVD or CD with all reports and the spreadsheet. Instead of opening each HTML file, the excel spreadsheet is opened and hyperlinks open the HTML.
    Can you elaborate a bit on how you setup the hyperlink to the excel file?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I use an export to xml of all the clash tests to populate a sheet within my excel workbook. This sheet is then used to populate my clash detection matrices. I've attached an example of a matrix. Hyperlinks are set up within excel (right click-hyperlink-select file) to point from the cell that represents the number of clashes to the HTML clash report.

Is that more clear? It's a hard process to explain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

NavisWorks Moderator david.kingham's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You can get it to print better by going to page setup in internet explorer and setting margins as small as they'll go and get rid of the header/footer. To get page breaks you would have to manually insert code into the html

Place the following code in the HEAD of the html:

<STYLE TYPE='text/css'>
    P.pagebreakhere {page-break-before: always}
    </STYLE>

Then place the following code in the BODY of the html where you want the pagebreak:

<P CLASS="pagebreakhere">

I just send the html with the jpgs, but our projects are fairly small in comparison. As for printing that large of a file you may be running out of ram or it may be the pdf writer crashing

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I use an export to xml of all the clash tests to populate a sheet within my excel workbook. This sheet is then used to populate my clash detection matrices. I've attached an example of a matrix. Hyperlinks are set up within excel (right click-hyperlink-select file) to point from the cell that represents the number of clashes to the HTML clash report.

Is that more clear? It's a hard process to explain.
    Thanks for the reminder of the XML output. Given my latest binging on XSD Schema and XSLT Transform information, I might be able to leverage that for additional reporting.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

You have a link within excel that reads the XML data and generates the matrix? Would love some insight if it do ya.