See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st impression from Revit 2010...

I could stop if I wanted to Kevin Janik's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 1st impression from Revit 2010...

I think there is a crowd of users that wish their designers could get into Revit and use it more like SketchUp making transition to Revit fast and earlier. That I think is what Autodesk is responding to. Earlier integration of design into Revit will result in a high ROI for the product and more money in the pockets of companies plus, I believe, better integration of our designers concepts resulting the designs becoming reality quicker and easier for everyone working on the project.

Kevin

I could stop if I wanted to rmejia's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

1st Impression has to be the jumpy ribbon UI.

I don't know what Autodesk program I am using anymore, which might be a good thing or a bad thing. If they are going to be changing the UI for consistency through their different programs, I'd also like to see a consistency in the logic inside the ribbon tabs between the different programs. Not all things apply within AutoCAD and Revit (layers for instance) but I don't see why other common elements could not be identical in the ribbon tabs between the two programs.

Negative:
    I'd like to know why in the Home tab there only Model Text and Model Line, why not regular text and lines (in my case this is what I use 97% of the time). Why no Sections or Elevations? A solution is to use shortcuts, but it would be useful to have the option to add panels to the Home tab or better yet, to create custom panels which can be docked in the ribbon or be floating.

Positive:
    I like the element preview when insterting families like doors and windows. I like that the project browser stays in place! finally!

Mixed:
    The conceptual massing is interesting, but I would like to see it more integrated with the rest of the model, rather than a separate modeling space. The reason for this being that many times the conceptual mass being creating is defined or affected by it's context, which is an integral part of the model. It is hard to model it independant of where it is to be finally placed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to rmejia's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by hdjohnson View Post
    I still can't believe that I can only slope a ceiling in one direction!
    I did one that sloped in 3 directions using the Modify Sub Elements option the other day. Moving the different points up and down. This feature was added in 2009, pretty useful for shapes going beyond the slope arrow.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

It is sad....

One of the features that attracted me to Revit was the consistency of the UI even with the addition of new features each release. Training made easier with the lack of moving buttons, ribbons, and bows. What you need is on the screen and not grayed. Problems could be walked through with a telephone call with staff.

After much resistance from management and continued na-sayers, now I am in the position of Imigration from AutoCad to Revit in a large multi-disciplined design-build firm. I have restrained from telling management that the last 9 months of training will need to be repeated and production will go down again. Timing for this ----.

And when Autodesk first purchased Revit - what we thought mattered.
    Not that you are listening Autodesk, but it may be the end of Revit in this firm.

I could stop if I wanted to PaperStreet SoapCO's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Personally, I haven't used Revit 2010 yet but there is absolutely no way I would ever give it up because of this release. Believe it or not, Revit 2009 still works even after Revit 2010 is released (or installed!). Throwing the baby out with the bath water anyone?

Login to Give a bone

WHY WHY WHY does the ribbon always come up hidden/collapsed EVERY time I launch the program?? Seems like I ALWAYS have to click the little arrow to the right of the tab names to show the ribbon and the tools in it.

Login to Give a bone

Yes, I wondered that - I thought it was just something I had last clicked before saving.

It is quite interesing though to work in 2010 for an hour or two and then open up 2009...

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

i am having mixed feelings about the new version. the ribbon definitely has some shortcomings, particularly the way set items move around between functions, but then again, it also has it merits in that it does make things more accessible, some of the time... i find the help dialogue boxes a great way to train staff to use shortcuts... with the shortcut being listed each time... after all, i believe the best way to use a software is often a combination of both key and icon selections...if you do so, then the rbbon becomes quite effective.. not too bad at all

the 3d orbit is greatly improved with shadows on, which is nice..

my biggest bug bear is the delay in the ribbon regenerating.... takes too long at times and then at others seems to disappear to white altogether... quite annoying..

i will persist with this version, seems delaying is only delaying the inevitable..

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Let me ask a general question... is the Ribbon a workable solution? In other words, I believe we would basically all agree the ribbon can be improved, I've even heard people that work for Autodesk agree to this. But it seems that the ribbon could be made into a functional, perhaps fairly dynamic solution to certain issues. We've had to use "tabs" in the past anyway, so clicking to the right Ribbon spot shouldn't be much different if they can achieve consistency in the location of the tools in the ribbon and streamline some of the clicking process. It could lead to Autodesk improving Revit in an area ArchiCAD users rave about, an easier to understand (icon based) user interface. I'm not saying it has improved now, I'm saying this is a movement that could lead in that direction.

My point.. the ribbon was incorporated across the Autodesk product line, this was NOT a factory decision, at least not directly. Autodesk is also not going to go back on the ribbon unless its a real bleep-up for customers and marketing. I know Phil has been vocal about the ribbon, can we agree it might have some potential? Perhaps the worry is as much in the fact that often features that require improvement ...well... never seem to get improved? In this regard I do hope users make their opinions heard.

I could stop if I wanted to Phil Read's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert View Post
    Let me ask a general question... is the Ribbon a workable solution?
    No. The ribbon is fundamentally flawed for complex design environments. It purposely (and incorrectly) co-joins nouns - the thing being built - with the verbs - the action that you can preform on the thing being built. The result is a confusing mental map of icons that subjectively expose or reveal themselves with each decision.

You guys have no idea of the number of phone calls, emails and instant messages I've received from past associates inside the factory telling me the ribbon is "b***s**t and they're frustrated as hell that they weren't able to think freely with regard to creating an elegant, cross-product GUI. Instead - the ribbon was imposed as a corporate mandate. They're not able to say anything publicly, but I assure you guys that what is being said publicly ("Here's why the ribbon is better...") is a complete contradiction to what is said privately ("Look - you know we hate this, but it was forced upon us...").

Consider this: if the ribbon is a great metaphor for design rich environment, what did Microsoft (who developed the ribbon) come up with for the Expression and Silverlight suite? Not a "ribbon" in sight:
    Sloppy seconds anyone? Looks like Microsoft isn't willing to eat their own dogfood - which kinda says something. Autodesk must expose the existing the UI in Revit 2010 and then do their own rigorous homework with regard to a cross product look and feel. Poor design aside, I consider it inexcusable that no business strategy was put into place that allowed companies time to adjust other than "upgrade and get over it."

And now ADSK's asinine, arrogant response? "Well, the ribbon is here to stay - so help us make it better." I've got even a better idea - stop disrupting our businesses. The corporate vanity that believed a "common look and feel" across design applications was more important that what the users still can't do with those same applications once you look past the new GUI (that is still fundamentally flawed and must be significantly reconsidered) is deeply irresponsible considering that no customer, no user group, no user forum, no wish list has put the redesign of the Revit GUI high on their request list.

The result? It'll take years and more customer and shareholder millions to "fix" what is now more broken than what it was meant to improve.

What a stupid, foolish and enormous waste of customer and shareholder value and good will. So many millions, so many years, so much human effort has been spent making something "new" and yet not making it better.

And Autodesk expects me to convince my company to trust Autodesk with even more millions in software purchases and subscription fees so they can keep shuffling the GUI at the expense of other functionality? "This time, it really is better! We promise! Just a few more years and it'll be perfect...".

Well - if I did that it'd be irresponsible and I'd be expected to resign.

Hint.
    Last edited by Phil Read; 2009-04-18 at 04:06 AM.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast