Thread: AutoCAD2010: CUI ribbon migration

Login to Give a bone

Default AutoCAD2010: CUI ribbon migration

I'm working away on getting our CUI migrated from 2009 to 2010, and running into a brick wall.

The setup we're using is to have an Enterprise CUI (a copy of ACAD.cuix) on the network, which loads in the "firmname-tools.CUIx" file as a partial CUI. The users will then have their Custom.CUIX file locally for them to play with till their heart's content. But we're not that far yet -- I'm still working on getting the enterprise CUIx to properly load the firmnametools.CUIx.

The problem seems to be the ribbon. I can transfer the tab and panels from the legacy file to the new-from-scratch CUIx. I can go into Customize Workspace and have the tab appear there. I then save the CUIx and Apply/Ok. But the new tab doesn't show up! What's more, any changes I make to the panel in the Customize User Interface dialog aren't retained after loading it back up. I have full read/write access to the files in question (as administrator), but nothing is retained after a save.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD2010: CUI ribbon migration

So the "new-from-scratch CUIX" is ultimately going to be company.cuix partial, correct?

Exactly how did you create the enterprise.cuix file?
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
    So the "new-from-scratch CUIX" is ultimately going to be company.cuix partial, correct?
    Correct! Our previous enterprise.cui was a bit buggy with empty tabs occassionally showing up when they shouldn't be (these were all tabs that had been deleted in the cui manager when I was first assembling the cui) -- apparently this is a known bug? In any event, I was hoping I'd still be able to preserve the tools and panels themselves and transfer them from the legacy cui to the new cuix.

Exactly how did you create the enterprise.cuix file?
    It's a copy of acad.cuix. The original thought was to use that as the enterprise and then partial-load everything else. (This is how we have it set up under our brief flirtation with 2009.) But after having a third or fourth read-through of your sticky on the cui at the top of this forum, I'm going to restructure this as follows:

custom.cuix (main, local user)
    company.cuix (enterprise, network)
    --- acad.cuix (partial load, network)
    --- acetmain.cuix (partial load, network)
    --- etc, etc.

The reason I'm putting using acad.cuix on the network is because my users are just savvy enough to be dangerous and would modify it if I left it to be loaded from their local workstations. I'm still not sure *why* it makes a difference whether acad.cuix is the enterprise or company.cuix is the enterprise. But this seems to work out in terms of getting my ribbon tabs to load-in and "stick."

I'm am still having problems getting the panels to come in properly. When I load them in, half the controls are missing.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tgross.197084 View Post
    I'm am still having problems getting the panels to come in properly. When I load them in, half the controls are missing.
    Are these OOTB panels that are having issues, or in-house panels?
    R. Robert Bell
    Stantec

Login to Give a bone

Are these OOTB panels that are having issues, or in-house panels?
    In-house. Of course! =)

It looks like all of the tools I'm having trouble with are controls (ex. combo boxes). We have a series of panels that group together some of the common tools with our in-house custom standards enforcement tools. So, for example, a part of one panels has the Dimension Style Control next some custom leader tools. The leader tools come in, but not the dimension style control.

Login to Give a bone

It will be a couple of days before I load 2010, so I won't be of much more help until then.
    R. Robert Bell
    Stantec

Login to Give a bone

Yeah, that's okay. At this point I've had a good look at what kind of work it would entail to just redo it from scratch, and it really isn't that much. It's not like I have to write all the code again or anything, just make a bunch of buttons pointing to it. And I was going to rearrange a few things on our ribbon anyway to accomodate some user requests. Thanks for your help!