Thread: Backwards Compatibility

Login to Give a bone

Default Backwards Compatibility

I posted the questions below in the Autodesk discussion groups yesterday, but so far have not received a reply, so when I saw this thread, I thought I might ask here as well.

If our office upgrades to Revit Structure 2010 from RS2009, will we now be able to 'downversion' our model files (or newly created custom content in 2010) so as to be used in RS2009, if needed? (I understand this has been an issue in previous releases(?), correct me if I'm wrong.)

Now - if we happen to be working with an Architectural client who is still using RA2009, will we be able to provide model files for them to be able to use for coordination?

I'm hoping at this point that the answer is 'yes' to both questions. Does anyone know for certain? (I understand that any newer 2010 'enhancementes' over 2009 would not be available to use in older versions, but what about items that haven't really changed from older versions?)

If the answer is 'no' to either question, then what is the solution, given that we cannot force our clients to upgrade? - Or are these questions simply considered to be non-issues and therefore not a problem?

Sincerely,
    David Kozina

Revit Moderator
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Backwards Compatibility

The answer to both, now and probably forever, is no. In order to be compatible with our clients and to access legacy projects we maintain at least the latest 3 versions. While we typically encourage our clients to use the latest software available (especially if the new release has features we would prefer to use) we are willing and able to use any of the recent versions.

It has been previously suggested on this forum to utilize IFC to port models back to previous versions. While we have used this method for various reasons, I would not recommend this as a valid workflow for a project team as a means to colaborate across multiple versions.
    Last edited by Paul Andersen; 2009-04-15 at 01:26 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Backwards Compatibility

Guess I was hoping for a kinder, gentler 2010 version.

Well, then, that raises a few more questions - I'm sure these have been asked before, but I'm just trying to understand the implications...

Our company is on subscription and we have RS2009, and we will most likely be getting RS2010 in the near future.

Scenario 1: We update our software to RS2010. Does the EULA permit us to also use our older RS2009 version indefinitely as needed? - since it's a networked version, we cannot exceed the permitted number of users, so I don't feel that aspect applies - but what about the use of the older software?

Scenario 2: Next July, a structural office wishes to buy RS2009. Would they even be able to do this once RS2010 is released? If they are on subscription (do I understand correctly that they would have to obtain a subscription anyway when they purchase the software?) - does this allow them to obtain older RS versions as necessary in order to work with clients who may be using older versions of Revit?

Scenario 3: I have read some comments to the effect that since RS2010 will have such a different GUI, that if you haven't been using the software, it would be best to just start using RS2010, so that you 'wouldn't need to learn the program all over again.' But it seems that if there is a valid need to maintain older versions of the software for compatibility sakes, ones trained on RS2010 may have difficulties with the older interface, should they have to use it.

Any comments or answers to the questions raised by these scenarios (or even additional questions) would be greatly appreciated. As I said, I'm trying to best understand the implications of these apparent limitations so that I can avoid difficulties down the line.

Thanks,
    David Kozina
    Last edited by Paul Andersen; 2009-04-15 at 01:26 PM.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

David

Scenario 1. All "Subscription" users have access under the EULA to the current version of Revit and the last 3 versions of Revit (so you can use RST 4 if you need to). However this is based on 2 rules. First you need to have your own copy of legacy software (ie. you cant use Revit 1.0 because you never brought it till 4.5). Second you can only use 1 version Revit at a time on your machine, if you are working in Revit 2009 and want to do a project in 2010 you need to close the first one down and open the second.

Scenario 2. Yes as long as they were using Revit 2009 somewhere in their office, if not they would need to acquire the software through Autodesk or their vendor by request.

Scenario 3. The Interface has been ribbonised, that is all, whether your a new Revit user or an old Revit user all that has happened is the commands have gone from the design bar to the Ribbon. Adjustment time really is maybe a day of fulltime work, adding customisation and everything else (keyboard shortcuts) is something else. They might find it easier to start in 2010, but there should be no reason for new users to go back to 2009 once they know the package, same as us going to 2010 the buttons have just been moved around and hidden on us
    Last edited by Paul Andersen; 2009-04-15 at 01:27 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Autodesk changed their policy last year regarding prior releases. Just so we can clear up any confusion, I spent 45 minutes finding and actually reading all of the stuff I'm supposed to have read about subscription center. I hope this helps make sense of it all.

There is no longer the requirement that you had to have owned that prior version in order to use the prior version currently. That means if you bought your very first license of Revit Structure today and got subscription, you could use it has Revit Structure 2008 and 2007 if you wanted.

From my Autodesk documentation:
    As of April 7, 2008, the Previous Version benefit has been enhanced. Effective on that
    date, customers may use previous versions of up to three releases back from the 2009
    product release up to the total number of licenses of the product currently under Subscription. Subscription customers who do not have the previous version of the software may request available media through the Subscription Center. Refer to the “Eligible Product List for Previous Version Use” posted on the Subscription Center for a complete listing of eligible releases.

If the customer has licenses for three seats of a current product, the customer can use a total of three seats of the current and eligible previous versions in any combination.

Mixed version use of the current version and up to three versions back of the eligible
    previous version(s) is allowed as long as combined seat count does not exceed the total
    number of licenses of that product on Subscription.

Example: Customer has 10 seats of AutoCAD 2009 on Subscription. Customer will be
    allowed to use a total of 10 seats of any combination of AutoCAD 2009, AutoCAD 2008,
    AutoCAD 2007, and AutoCAD 2006 in mixed use.

Subscription customers with a 2009 network license now have in-product functionality
    that will provide an authorization code for previous versions up to three releases back, up to the total number of licenses of the product currently under Subscription for most but not all products.

The CD or DVD for eligible previous version software up to three releases back is available at no charge to qualifying customers from the global media replacement site, accessed through Subscription Center.

Once you cross grade, previous version use benefits only apply to Previous Versions of
    your new cross grade product, not for the product from which you cross graded.

I hope that clears up some of that mystery.
    Last edited by Paul Andersen; 2009-04-15 at 01:27 PM.

Login to Give a bone

If you do not have the serial number for the previous version, you will have to go to the subscription centre and follow the link to request one. It works okay, although when I tried it you were limited to requesting 4 previous serial numbers each time. Had a bunch of LT 2006's that were upgraded to 2009 and put on sub, but everyone hated it so we had to get previous version serials for 2008 for all of them. Still, it was reasonably quick (not automated, though, you get an email from a service rep with the serials).

Our network licenses are great though, and using previous versions with them 'just work'.

Login to Give a bone

Everyone,

Thanks for the info regarding these questions.

Appreciatively,
    David Kozina