Thread: Occupancy Load

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Occupancy Load

I am making a Code Data Calc Schedule, and am trying to calculate the Occupant Load. I have my area, derived from the plan, Load Factor, which is an instance parameter in the Rooms. I am trying to divide Area / Load Facter = Occupant Load, since the area and load factor are not constant numbers, how could I make this formula? any help would be appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Occupancy Load

Login to Give a bone

You want your Load Factor to come from a Schedule Key, as shown in the thread Dave just linked. The Schedule Key will be synonymous with the Occupant Load chart in Chapter 10 of the IBC, or whatever code version you use in your area. Then you do a calculated parameter to figure occupant load for the room.

Note that this method really only gives correct occupancy values for occupancies loads using NET areas. Lately I have been using area plans to get occupancy values for those requiring a GROSS area number. For instance a building of Business occupancy, 100 s.f. per person gross, so I just get the area of the entire building and have it divide by 100. In that case, my occupancy schedule is actual an Area Schedule, instead of a Room schedule.

If you do some more searching, you can also find what I and others came up with for figuring room occupancy numbers when fixed seating is involved. Basically I added another field with fixed seating which is hidden in the schedule, and a formula saying if the Fixed Seating field is greater than 0, then use that number, otherwise use the number calculated from the room area.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino View Post
    This worked perfectly actually. since the square footages and load factors are not the same in every room, this works great.

Login to Give a bone

This is a great schedule, but I am unsure how to load it into an existing drawing, any one have the answer, I am sure it is simple but...

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Occupancy Load

Quote Originally Posted by Slocum View Post
    This is a great schedule, but I am unsure how to load it into an existing drawing, any one have the answer, I am sure it is simple but...
    Slocum,

Here are two ways of doing this:

1) Open the file and go to the sheet that has these schedules on them. Click on the desired schedule and hit CTRL + C. Go to your existing file and go to the sheet you would like the schedule on and hit CTRL + V.

or

2) Go to your existing file and on the "Insert" tab, click on Insert From File / Insert View From File. A window will pop up, find the file that contains the schedules and click Open. It will show you the schedules, just check which schedules you need and click OK. (This is how we transfer drafting views, sheets, schedules, & renderings from project to project)

Hope that helps...

Login to Give a bone

the file no longer opens. Is there a trick I don't know about?

Login to Give a bone

In case anyone is trying to solve the whole problem about putting the calculated occupancy load in a room tag and found this in their search (like I have), many of the work-arounds are now unnecessary. See the new feature in the 2017 version of Revit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P253SSMT2wE