Thread: AutoCAD 2010-Using geometric constraints on a block

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb AutoCAD 2010-Using geometric constraints on a block

Does anyone know if it is possible to add geometric constraints to a set of objects in a drawing then be able to insert that drawing as a block and be able to control the block with those same constraints? I am trying to design a mechanical piece of hardware with geometric constraints applied to it, and then use that piece of hardware as block in another drawing. I would like to be able to control this block by the constraints that I have applied in the original drawing. I guess my question to anyone that could answer this would be has Autodesk designed this new constraint feature to use just as a per drawing constraint or can I used those constraints to act dynamically within a block. The way I am thinking about this I would be able to have a block that moves the objects in that block accordantly to the constraints applied. If AutoCAD 2010 does not have the functionality to do this they should really think about this. Or if they do and somebody knows how to accomplish this it would really be a great help. Thank you.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD 2010-Using geometric constraints on a block

Quote Originally Posted by Brannonp View Post
    Does anyone know if it is possible to add geometric constraints to a set of objects in a drawing then be able to insert that drawing as a block and be able to control the block with those same constraints? I am trying to design a mechanical piece of hardware with geometric constraints applied to it, and then use that piece of hardware as block in another drawing. I would like to be able to control this block by the constraints that I have applied in the original drawing. I guess my question to anyone that could answer this would be has Autodesk designed this new constraint feature to use just as a per drawing constraint or can I used those constraints to act dynamically within a block. The way I am thinking about this I would be able to have a block that moves the objects in that block accordantly to the constraints applied. If AutoCAD 2010 does not have the functionality to do this they should really think about this. Or if they do and somebody knows how to accomplish this it would really be a great help. Thank you.
    Use Bedit and apply constraints.