Thread: Revit MEP 2009 Bathroom Riser

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit MEP 2009 Bathroom Riser

I have a 3 story dormatory in all 3 floor plans are the same. The bathrooms are identical to the floor below. I made vertical risers to all fixtures with maines all underground. I made a water closet group, a lavatory group, and a bathtub group. Problem when I bring a group into a bathroom using create a instance or copying and pasting, all my piping wyes are deleted and some are disconnected. I get a error message that says(Can't move or copy these elements at the same time. One of them is restricted to moving in one direction while the other is restricted to moving in a conflicting direction). I take all the wyes out and use short tees it will recreate or copy and paste just fine. Is there any way for me to trick Revits piping wyes on direction of flow ?
    Last edited by blueyes42; 2009-04-22 at 09:45 PM. Reason: misspelling

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit MEP 2009 Bathroom Riser

There are some issues with connected piping to plumbing fixtures when that piping is in a Group. Is your piping group connected to plumbing fixtures? Are you moving or copying? If you could send me the project I can futher investigate the issue.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by steven.rosen; 2009-04-24 at 03:43 PM. Reason: typo

Login to Give a bone

Yes they are connected to fixtures that are not hosted. I have a water closet riser that works fine, whether I copy and paste or create a instance. My lav riser nor my bath tub riser will copy and paste nor create a new instance without either loosing all plumbing wyes or their disconnected.
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time mwiggins121466's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Are they all on the same workset?
    Margaret Wiggins
    Revit MEP 2006 and Greater
    Electrical Designer
    Detroit, Michigan
    wigginsm@yahoo.com

Login to Give a bone

yes everything is on the plumbing workset

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the file, I reported the issue. Presently you could proceed by copying the fixture/piping in the floor plan views.

Login to Give a bone

The issue is with your pipe being sloped. If you draw it in flat, it will allow you to copy and paste it. When you are working with a sloped pipe that slopes in 2 or more directions, Revit doesn't let you copy and you get that conflicting direction error. It is a known limitation of Revit MEP, hopefully fixed in a later release, i tried in 2010, with no luck. So i guess we wait for 2011. The work around for it is as follows:

1. Draw the pipe flat.
    2. Copy and paste what you need
    3. Apply the slope to the pipe after it is copied. For this you use the Routing Modify toolbar. I think by default the tool bar is not showing so you will have to turn it on. It is 2 little green pipe elbows, one for justify and one for slope.

Login to Give a bone

You all are missing the point. All of my plumbing is drawn on the flat with NO SLOPE. All of the plumbing is in the plumbing workspace. The plumbing is fine except for plumbing wyes. When you copy and paste or make as a group and bring them in as a new instance, the plumbing wyes will sometimes disconnect. They dont disconnect at the fixture. What baffles me is my water closet riser dowsnt do this, but the lavatory and bath tub riser will. The wyes have 2 directions of flow, which seems to be the remark to all the errors that pop up when I copy and paste.

Error Message:
    (Can't move or copy these elements at the same time. One of them is restricted to moving in one direction while the other is restricted to moving in a conflicting direction).

If I click disjoin it will go ahead and let me copy and paste but the wye will disconnect.

Thanks everyone for your time.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by blueyes42 View Post
    You all are missing the point. All of my plumbing is drawn on the flat with NO SLOPE. All of the plumbing is in the plumbing workspace. The plumbing is fine except for plumbing wyes. When you copy and paste or make as a group and bring them in as a new instance, the plumbing wyes will sometimes disconnect. They dont disconnect at the fixture. What baffles me is my water closet riser dowsnt do this, but the lavatory and bath tub riser will. The wyes have 2 directions of flow, which seems to be the remark to all the errors that pop up when I copy and paste.

Error Message:
    (Can't move or copy these elements at the same time. One of them is restricted to moving in one direction while the other is restricted to moving in a conflicting direction).

If I click disjoin it will go ahead and let me copy and paste but the wye will disconnect.

Thanks everyone for your time.
    We have submitted several support requests to Autodesk regarding the same issues with piping systems. Have you submitted the problem to Autodesk and given them the files? I assure you they are interested in this particular problem and it can only help them realize the severity of needing to fix it.

Login to Give a bone

No I havent not knowing where to to do so. I will check with my Revit Rep. and see if he hasnt already done so. Again thanks for all your help.