Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASD + RST integration

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default ASD + RST integration

Hi,
    I have been “playing” with the ASD integration tool for RST. I can load my revit model in to ASD and then “sync” it back to my RST model. If I add members etc in ASD they are transferred back to the RST model.
    But if I add connections in ASD they are not “sync’ed” back to the revit model.
    Is that how it supposed to work ie it can’t bring over the connections to RST? I am still trying to get my head around ASD so I might have missed something 

Thanks

J

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ASD + RST integration

Is this with 09 or 10, 2010 has an update Revit button built into ASD.

Login to Give a bone

No, unfortunately connections will not transfer back to Revit. You could create a solid of the connections and load into Revit, but it probably wouldn't be worth the time and wouldn't look right anyway. If a beam is cut back for a connection in ASD, the beam will not be cut back in revit... so the solid connection would not look right.

A couple other things I've noticed regarding the sync tool:

-if a beam is positioned in revit using a "z-Direction Offset Value" with the "z-Direction Justification set to "Other", ASD will not maintain the correct elevation.
    -I noticed that when i changed beam sizes in revit and re-synced with ASD the elevation of the beams were different in ASD. ASD does not lock the insertion point of the beam. So if the original beam is top justified and say a w12 and it is switched to a W16 in revit, the new beam in ASD will be offset 4". You can manually lock the insertion point, but you would have to do this for all beam in asd.
    -ASD creates a new beam and column family when imported back to revit. The visibility of the W columns in messed up in fine and medium views.

Login to Give a bone

I wasn’t very specific was I

I am trying the new Extension tools for RST2010 where you are able to load the Revit File into ASD and then you should be able to load it back into RST. As I said I actually thought (was hoping) that you could load the connections back in to Revit as well.

Thanks

J

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I usually turn off the modelling layers for my members and save out the ACIS dwg file using the button in ASD.

I then load this to original location in Revit and use it as a link. From an overall structrural perspective and even close ups it comes out not too bad. Plus it renders which is quite nice from that perspective, though for good renders make sure you really put some effort in setting up your families in ASD.

I still think Robot is a better link then the direct one but thats just my opinion.
    Last edited by m20roxxers; 2009-04-27 at 11:11 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: ASD + RST integration

Thanks,
    I tried your method and it works OK ie I hide all the member layers etc and only have the fixings show. Then go to ACIS and saved them as file. In revit I can then link this file into the model. It works OK but it doesn’t bring in the beam cuts etc as they are “linked” to the beams. W
    Would be nice if we in the future could have a “seamless” round-trip between ASD and RST

Cheers,
    J

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

yep

Yeah there are still some hiccups with it. If I were you I would look at the Robot (if your allowed), as the integration is alot better between Revit & ASD.
    Still with your haunches and a few other connections it does require some manual tidy up in Revit to get it exactly right.

Maybe oneday it'll all work, but atleast ASD 2010 isn't crashing every 5 mins and actually alows you to save without quitting.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: ASD + RST integration

To anyone with some insight:

I have the Revit Structure Suite package, but I have not downloaded ASD. I'm trying to follow the forums to see what people are using it for exactly, with little luck. My company is looking to advance our Revit use buy creating a detail library and I thought maybe this program could offer some assistance. Am I missing out on some advantage by dismissing the program? If so, how are you all utilizing this tool?

Login to Give a bone

Hello,
    Excuseme, and what customizes (options) do you use when model exporting RST2010 to ASD2010 (Steel)? And how do the exported constructive elements show in ASD2010? - as 3d solid or as standart steel profiles?

Login to Give a bone

Hi,
    I've isolated the plates, bolts, anchors etc (with the member layers turned off) and exported using the ACIS file type. When I do this it gives me the option to select the required objects to be exported. I select all the connections but then I get this warning "No solids, regions or ShapeManager bodies selected". I'm working with Revit and ASD 2010 and would prefer to be able to see my connections in Revit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast