Thread: Text Nested in Family

Login to Give a bone

Default Text Nested in Family

Does anyone know how we can attach text to a nested family.
    I have some millwork with different options for example double shelf, single shelf, closed, closed with 2 drawers.
    I would like to be able to put the word ADJ onto the single shelf nested family so that it shows up on the main millwork cupboard and not the other ones with the other cupboard types.
    Is this possible?
    Or anyway of accomplishing this.
    Work arounds?

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Text Nested in Family

Don’t know if it’s quite what your after but…
    In similar situations I use a ‘type’ field in the nested family (be it mark, description… use what’s logical) and enter my desired text in there. Make sure your nested family is ‘shared’ and load it into your host family and then your host into project. I then use a multi category tag that tags the desired type parameter of any selected component.
    For example I have TAP in the description field of my tap family and that’s loaded into my wash hand basin family which has WHB in the description field. Now if I load that into a project and use my multi category tag that picks up description I get TAP or WHB depending on what I select. In your case I would use ADJ. for your adjustable shelf and leave the others blank or even type FIXED?
    Make sense?

Luke

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by lab21 View Post
    Don’t know if it’s quite what your after but…
    In similar situations I use a ‘type’ field in the nested family (be it mark, description… use what’s logical) and enter my desired text in there. Make sure your nested family is ‘shared’ and load it into your host family and then your host into project. I then use a multi category tag that tags the desired type parameter of any selected component.
    For example I have TAP in the description field of my tap family and that’s loaded into my wash hand basin family which has WHB in the description field. Now if I load that into a project and use my multi category tag that picks up description I get TAP or WHB depending on what I select. In your case I would use ADJ. for your adjustable shelf and leave the others blank or even type FIXED?
    Make sense?

Luke

I am not to sure if I did it right.
    But It didn't seem to work for me.
    Also
    Are we able to keep the ADJ as part of the single shelf.
    So when I click yes or no in the base cabinet family if i want a single shelf or not, the ADJ goes or comes with the single shelf.

Not really having to tag it.

Is this possible

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by joeldivina703731 View Post
    I am not to sure if I did it right.
    But It didn't seem to work for me.
    Also
    Are we able to keep the ADJ as part of the single shelf.
    So when I click yes or no in the base cabinet family if i want a single shelf or not, the ADJ goes or comes with the single shelf.

Not really having to tag it.

Is this possible
    I'm trying to understand what your doing in this family. You have a base cabinet with shelving inside of it. You have a 'Shelf' family nested into this family. There is a yes/no parameter which controls if there is one shelf or two (visibility control?). If there is one shelf then it is adjustable, but if there is two shelves they're fixed. You are trying to have text display if there is only one shelf and not two.

If this is what you are trying to accomplish then you can write a formula in another yes/no parameter for the visibility of the 'Model Text' to say, [Shelf_Text_Control=not(show_two_shelves)].

Otherwise post your family, so we can look at what you've done thus far and possibly have a better idea as to what you're looking to do.

Thanks,
    Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

Hi here is the family. I do not have text yet on it. But yes that is what I am trying to say when wanting text on the shelving.

Quote Originally Posted by jsteinhauer View Post
    I'm trying to understand what your doing in this family. You have a base cabinet with shelving inside of it. You have a 'Shelf' family nested into this family. There is a yes/no parameter which controls if there is one shelf or two (visibility control?). If there is one shelf then it is adjustable, but if there is two shelves they're fixed. You are trying to have text display if there is only one shelf and not two.

If this is what you are trying to accomplish then you can write a formula in another yes/no parameter for the visibility of the 'Model Text' to say, [Shelf_Text_Control=not(show_two_shelves)].

Otherwise post your family, so we can look at what you've done thus far and possibly have a better idea as to what you're looking to do.

Thanks,
    Jeff S.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

i Also tried putting in that formula you suggested. It wouldnt/t work.
    Maybe I just did it wrong .

Quote Originally Posted by jsteinhauer View Post

Thanks,
    Jeff S.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Fundamentally text will not appear in a family, by design. You have to nest a Label annotation family to "see text" in a family. Have a look at how the Revit stock content washer or dryer families are assemble to see this in action.

Keep in mind that these labels are designed to have a fixed text size like 1/8" or 3/32" which means that they only really work in one scale view. Their relationship to the geometry they are linked to will shift in/out depending on view scale. They will even overwhelm the view if you go to a coarser scale view. It is necessary to provide a way to turn off this kind of annotation to avoid this...or use a tagging strategy instead.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Text Nested in Family

So I took a look at your family, and did some modifications to it. Please see the attached file to see if it will work for you. The trick is to use Model Text, not annotation text. It will not scale with the view, and will rotate with the family. This can get you into trouble, so in most families where I have Model Text, I actually have two. If the family needs to be rotated upside down, then I switch which text is being displayed.

Again, I hope these modifications will work for you.

Jeff S.
    Attached Files Attached Files