View Poll Results: Would you like to be able to shape handles by a distance entered on the keyboard?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Star - Yes very interested in this feature

10 66.67%
  • 4 Star

1 6.67%
  • 3 Star

2 13.33%
  • 2 Star

1 6.67%
  • 1 Star - No we don't need this feature

1 6.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stretching shape handles by distance

All AUGI, all the time cadkiller's Avatar

Default Stretching shape handles by distance

Group;

I wish I could stretch the shape handles of an object by a distance I entered on the keyboard. I presently have to rely on other objects to snap to and if nothing is there I would have to create it before hand. Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by cadkiller; 2006-01-11 at 08:06 PM.

Default Re: Stretching shape handles by distance

You can already do this.

Hit tab to select the end of the wall. You'll see the end highlight as a line rather than a dot. Once selected, select move. Move your mouse the direction you like and key in the exact distance.

I actually should have clarified more. I know it works for walls and some other objects; but you can't stretch a mass or inplace object that has shape handles on it to a predetermined distance. The post should have been "stretching shape handles by distance".
    Last edited by cadkiller; 2006-01-11 at 08:06 PM.

Works the same way for a mass.... Even in 3D. As for families - if you have a ref plane that defines the end - you should be able to tab to that and do the same thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aaronrumple; 2006-01-11 at 07:20 PM.

Maybe I'm missing something or I'm not explaining myself properly. When I click on a shape handle of a mass it moves that face to some incremental amount. If I select the shape handle and try to stretch it to some predetermined distance I can't unless I have something to snap to. I want to be able to select a shape handle and stretch it to a predtermined distance that I enter after I select the shape handle.

Quote Originally Posted by cadkiller
    Maybe I'm missing something or I'm not explaining myself properly. When I click on a shape handle of a mass it moves that face to some incremental amount. If I select the shape handle and try to stretch it to some predetermined distance I can't unless I have something to snap to. I want to be able to select a shape handle and stretch it to a predtermined distance that I enter after I select the shape handle.
    That's what I'm saying you can do. It's just that you don't use the shape handles to do that. You use the move command.... Shape handles work with the snap settings and are for just what you describe pulling to another object.

The advantage of having the move command do this is that you can not only enter a distance, but you can use relative distances too - just like in AutoCAD.

I think the clicking on the shape handle to move the object "an increment" is really more of a bug than a feature. What is happening is that when you press on the shape handle, the face will jump to the point of the cursor. If you release, it looks like it "incremented". But all that you've done is a drag... It is just that the face and control were in two different locations.
    Last edited by aaronrumple; 2006-01-11 at 08:21 PM.

Okay I see what you're saying about tabing the face of an object and using the move command. So lets compare the 2 methods.

1- Current method

A- Hover over object.
    B- Select Tab and cycle faces.
    C- Click to select the face
    D- Invoke the move command.
    E- Click a work point and aim in the direction you want.
    F- Enter distance value.

2- Proposed method

A- Select shape handle grip.
    B- Enter distance value and that's it.

Please correct me if the steps are wrong.
    It still would be nicer and much quicker IMO to just grab the shape handle grip and be able to input a distance. That's what I would like to see.

BTW I can only get shape handles to snap to objects when in the edit mode. If I'm not in the edit mode it will not snap to anything.

I don't get this either. If I select a wall opening for instance and want to drag one end of it I have to guess the amount. If I select "move" the whole thing moves. Please explain how to use the move command with a shape handle?

Joe

For the opening: Float mouse over the end of the opening. Hit tab (probably twice - as the wall will be selected on first tab). As you cycle through the end of the opening will highlight. Select it. Now use the move command. This works with everything. Curtain Grids. Ends of Walls. Instance constraints inside families. Etc.

When stretching a mass with the shape handles, I find that masses will snap to ref. planes. Other masses, references within walls and many other objects. For those things that a mass won't drag to, I just use align. Click. Click.

Yes, being able to select the shape handle might be a few steps less. However, the implication that you can't move a precise amount now is not the case. This has always been possible in Revit. If the shape handle were to change behavior, now we have additional steps.

The current steps are (a bit different than you list.):
    A. Tab to highlight object. (I don't consider hover as a command as you have to get you mouse to the right part of the screen regardless.
    B. Pick
    C. Move Mouse.
    D. Enter distance.

You proposed method would be:
    A. Select Object.
    B. Select Shape Handle
    C. Move Mouse (because you can go either direction with this technique or should be able too.)
    D. Type Distance.

Same number of steps.

But we lose the click and drag of a shape handle. Because now a shape handle needs to remain "selected" while you type. So now if I do want to shape edit, I have to hit esc or something because the mouse up event can't deselect it.

Aaron, thanks for the tip - I've been struggling with that one. Now I can post to the "things are great today!" thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast