See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Revit Benchmark Utility

All AUGI, all the time robert.manna's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Smile Revit Benchmark Utility

All,

Please find attached a zip file containing a self executing zip that contains a utility for automating the benchmarking process. The zip package also includes two journal files and related Revit files. Once journal is one that I created "towers benchmark", the other is Phil Reed's 2009 benchmark utility. I have taken the liberty of making some slight modifications to Phil's code to make gathering results a little easier. The utility can be used with any journal file. Both included journal files write multiple results to a single results file, it also appends the start of a new set of results with a description of the journal being run. There is a text file called "SystemDescription.txt" open and edit this to describe the particular system you are testing. The zip unzips to "c:\My Temp\Revit Benchmarking" where you will find the exe, Phil's readme, the system description file, the journal files and a blank Revit template. There are two subfolders, one contains all the Revit files and another is where the results file is written. The tower benchmark file was created strictly with Autodesk content and a massing family I created. GuyR seems to think that it doesn't test a machine's overall performance as well as Phil's, I trust GuyR...

We used the utility in house to test 16+ demo machines from Lenovo and HP. We were using the default BH image on the machines. If people share results, it would be good to try to identify if it is a clean OS, or if it is your company's OS with all sorts of peripheral stuff. We also created journal files using real project files, and not just test files. We are working on a spreadsheet to process the results, once it is done, I will release a copy and our results. If you want to learn more pop by my blog dorevit.blogspot.com

Other then that, I can't think of much, the utility is self-explanatory, number of loops, and identify the folder where the journal you want to run is located. I hope people find this helpful, thanks to my Beta testers, they gave me positive feedback.

Cheers,
    -R
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by robert.manna; 2008-11-14 at 02:44 AM. Reason: typos

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Benchmark Utility

One other item that I promised in my recent blog post. This utility cleans journal files, making it easier to do fun things like add timers. Unzip this exe to a folder by itself. Then put the journal file to be cleaned in the same folder. Run the exe, it will create a copy of the original journal with all extra stuff removed. Move the copy and original out of the folder so you can clean another.

-R
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by robert.manna; 2008-11-14 at 02:45 AM. Reason: 2nd draft

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for sharing Robert!

I could stop if I wanted to stuntmonkee's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Does this utility track different times than the 08 version?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmonkee View Post
    Does this utility track different times than the 08 version?
    The utility itself does not track anything, its just a conveient and easy way to run a journal file more then once, so that you generate enough valid statistical data. Running a test once, isn't really a valid test on a computer as things are always going on in the background, particualarly machines set-up to be used on the "floor".

The "times" are generated by the journal file you choose to run. So the utility will detect all verions of Revit, and let you run any journal file you choose. The journal file has to be written to produce timed results. If you want to learn more about that process, hit my blog, and see my "CSI" posts on journal files.

Part I
    Part II
    Part III

So, because it is dependent on the journal files. I was able to take Phil's 2009 benchmarking journal, and modify it to correctly produce a results file if you're running the journal more the nonce. Had I left Phil's code alone, the results file would have been overwritten everytime the journal file is run. Rather, I put in code that appends the results to a single "Results" file. I've got a spreadsheet that needs a little more tweaking that can then read the results file. However, anyone who knows a little bit about Excel could write a simple macro to "read' the results file and generate statistical data. I'll post our results soon (maybe tonight) from our testing. But I'm not ready to release a blank version of the spreadsheet. If someone else wants to create a spreadsheet, that is fine with me.

If someone wants to modify Phil's 2008 journal that is cool too, just post it for everyone. Though I expect most people are going to be testing with '09 at this point.

HTH,
    -R
    Last edited by robert.manna; 2008-11-25 at 09:53 PM. Reason: typo

Login to Give a bone

Hi Robert,

I was wondering if you have updated the journals to run benchmarks for Revit 2010?

Login to Give a bone

I have not, and they would need to be re-built for the new UI and massing tools. If you had the hack for the classic UI they would still not work, as the classic massing environment is gone in 2010. A new test would have to be built using the new tools & UI.

-R

Login to Give a bone

Hi Robert,

Would you consider making a new one at all?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by pwong.223841 View Post
    Hi Robert,

Would you consider making a new one at all?
    I would love to make a new one, however at this time my company and I don't have a need and I definently do not have the time.

It is not a terribly hard thing to do to create a journal file. I have document most of what you need to know pretty thorougly on my blog, and made available the various "tools" that I use.

In 2010 I would probably perform a similiar exercise except with the new massing tools. Also, would likely consider integrating some of the things that Phil does/did in his benchmark journal files, such as exporting DWG files and maybe a rendering (though that is less critical).

I'm more then happy to test and review a benchmark journal that someone else creates.

My reccomendation(s). always use default out of box content, build your own folder structure (like Phil and myself) and include the neccessary files (templates, families, etc) just in case. You cannot rely on users maintaining the default Autodesk library folder structure, or that they even keep the Autodesk content easily available.

-R

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Has anyone tried this and gotten errors/crashes?

I recently tried to run this on Revit Arch and MEP 2009, 32-bit on both XP and Vista, and could not get it to work...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast