Thread: Converting anything to a Smart DWG

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Converting anything to a Smart DWG

I know many of you have run into the issue of tracing from either a PDF, DWF, or other image forms to get a smart DWG file to work from when the client won't give up a DWG file. I have tried many of the Converters out their only to find them to produce poor quality DXF's or DWG's. The lines, objects and text within the drawing are broken into so many fragments and segments that it is would be easier and faster to go back to tracing than to attempt to edit the new DWG. I am looking for the title of the best converting software available that will not break the budget. Please Advise. Thank you.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Converting anything to a Smart DWG

If you search these forums for 'raster to vector', you'll get quite a few results on images and pdfs being converted. A basic summary is that there is software like Raster Design and others that will do conversions, but, there is still going to be manual checking, assigning to layers, merging lines, etc. necessary.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

If you have dimensions and want your drawing to be to scale there really is no substitute for manual redrawing.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    If you search these forums for 'raster to vector', you'll get quite a few results on images and pdfs being converted. A basic summary is that there is software like Raster Design and others that will do conversions, but, there is still going to be manual checking, assigning to layers, merging lines, etc. necessary.
    Thank you for your Reply Ms. Perry, I have read your comments on many of the other threads and see that you are pro Autodesk. I Like that, however, If a $200 program can be found that does the same thing as a $2,000 program, wouldn't you opt for the lesser expense? Thanks again for your insight.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    If you have dimensions and want your drawing to be to scale there really is no substitute for manual redrawing.
    This is what I am comming to the conclusion of as well.

Login to Give a bone

Sure, there are many programs "like raster design" which is hardly to say that you should or should not use that specific one, many have been discussed in other threads and the general consensus is that none of them are perfect.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

We also get this question a lot. Try Print2CAD. I'm not endorsing it or anything, but we had a few guys who liked it enough to purchase licenses for it. I think it has a trial period. But like everyone says, it make take some manualy work to clean a vectorized drawing up.