Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family tutorial generic 150 psi slip on flange

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Smile Family tutorial generic 150 psi slip on flange

I have to say this is so much fun. My first attempt at this tutorial I messed up somewhere in the parameter creation/add and never finished it. The second go round I got right to the end but the flange is not attaching correctly - the face of the flange is connecting to the end of the pipe. Also, I thought that because all the parameters except NR were created as instance type, I would be able to change the flange diameter to match the pipe diameter after placement, since it didn't pick that up automatically, but they were all grayed out in the instance properties dialog.

I suspect that the attachment reversal issue has something to do with the direction of the connectors, but it's really hard to figure out if one is doing that right at the time. The sizing thing, I have no idea what the issue is.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ray.205827; 2009-09-22 at 06:18 AM. Reason: typo in body if message

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Family tutorial generic 150 psi slip on flange

No takers huh? I was really hoping for a crumb or two to know I was headed in the right direction on troubleshooting my flangeful backwardness.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Family tutorial generic 150 psi slip on flange

Would be useful if you post the lookup table

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

That which you request to be uploaded is considered by the software that uploads files to be an invalid file type therefore Iopened it with notepad and saved it as a txt file and renamed the extension from csv to txt. I hope this will work for you.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ray.205827 View Post
    I have to say this is so much fun. My first attempt at this tutorial I messed up somewhere in the parameter creation/add and never finished it. The second go round I got right to the end but the flange is not attaching correctly - the face of the flange is connecting to the end of the pipe. Also, I thought that because all the parameters except NR were created as instance type, I would be able to change the flange diameter to match the pipe diameter after placement, since it didn't pick that up automatically, but they were all grayed out in the instance properties dialog.

I suspect that the attachment reversal issue has something to do with the direction of the connectors, but it's really hard to figure out if one is doing that right at the time. The sizing thing, I have no idea what the issue is.
    First, one of your connectors is pointing the wrong way. The connectors need to be pointing opposite each other, each one pointing in the direction of the incoming pipe.

Second, if you create "NR" as a type parameter, you have to create a different family type for each size fitting. Instead, make NR an instance parameter and you will be able to change the diameter at your whim.

Last, to place the fitting between two segments of pipe, go to Category and Parameters and change the Part Type to "Union." You currently have it set as a "Transition."

Now, if you place a run of pipe first, then you place the fitting, Revit it will read the pipe size and give you the correct fitting size. Conversely, if you place the fitting first, then right click on the connector and choose "Draw Pipe," Revit will read the fitting size and choose the corresponding pipe size for you.

Hope that helps. Good Luck!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

OK
    First -thanks for coming to my aid, much appreciated.
    Second, thanks for confirming the direction arrow thing, that was an easy fix.
    Lastly, I recreated the family, discovering a couple of operator errors along the way from the first family creation, and then I figured out that after placing the flange and selecting it and looking at the type properties dialog, I was able to change the NR parameter to half the pipe diameter I was placing it on and it redrew itself to the right dimensions per the lookup table. The tutorial is very definite about this fitting being a transition rather than a union, presumably because a flange is typically placed on the end of a nozzle or pipe. No problem with that.

My biggest problem now is why does the flange place on the end of the pipe backwards? What in the family creation process controls where this sucker attaches itself to the pipe end and which way it should face after that? I really studied how the geometry is created and I don't really understand why the flange acts this way. I get how the LenA1 and LenA2 parameters do what they do. I also note that if one places a flange on the end of a pipe and then places another pipe on the open end of the flange, it attaches perfectly at the reference plane location. Its almost as if the idea is to place a flange first and then pipe from it.

I must say that this changing the size after placement is a right performance. I would have expected the thing to get the pipe diameter from the pipe and automatically figure out how big to draw itself. Not so!
    Oh Well - lookee, a wish list item!
    Last edited by ray.205827; 2009-10-05 at 05:52 AM. Reason: I messed up

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I may be wrong but I think the placement has to do with which connector is the "primary" connector. In the family editor click on a connector, you will see an option to set the primary connector.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Family tutorial generic 150 psi slip on flange

I did as you uggested in the Family Editor, but I cannot find such an option. Here is a screenshot of the instance properties dialog for the connectorI want to be primary.
    Not one to give up that easily, I opened help and did a search pn primary connectors and discovered the reassign connector toggle on the ribbon (did I mention I am using MEP 2010?). That did it!
    Thanks a bunch

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

That's what I meant, didn't have Revit open in front of me. Glad it worked.

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Family tutorial generic 150 psi slip on flange

Hi

Can anyone tell what's wrong here, I created a pipe Tee, and with the use of 'types' made an element that had all the value sizes contained within it all worked fine and calculated well.. see attachment tee calcs
    I then wanted to make this again and use a look up table for the changing values. I had all the problems as everyone else. ('could not parse column header' , ' input error' etc)
    So I thought I would back at the basics, I created Pipe.csv (placed in both lookup table directory and working directory of the fitting),

I created a pipe file placed it under the 'fitting' category, a parameter text file, with L1, ND, D1. linked the csv to the look up table, I then placed the parameters in the file and only made the L1 parameter (try to get 1 working first).. the error I get is inconsistant units

I have read all the threads in regards to this particular error, but none apply to what I am doing, I have also read Martin Schmid's paper "Creating Autodesk Revit Systems Content for Engineering Coordination" this is what aided me in understanding this.

I have tried it several ways and can get around all the error messages except this one.. I am sure the formula I am using is correct, and I understand what the csv columns mean.. so I wondered if it was something in the way I went about it, I have attached all the files (I included the pipe parameters file pipe.txt, so you will have to rename pipe.csv, file which I called pipe2.txt)

Hope it works and someone can help me here, once I solved this its back to the Tee fitting!!!,

Regards, Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast