Thread: Regapp and Anno Scales

I could stop if I wanted to CadDog's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Regapp and Anno Scales

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to touch on these two utility to see if anyone have any new information.

I have been finding more problems this past year with users not know anything about this.

What if anything are you doing to control and/or maintain this problems.

Thanks and any information will be welcome and helpful.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Regapp and Anno Scales

Quote Originally Posted by CadDog View Post
    What if anything are you doing to control and/or maintain this problems.
    Utilities that run at drawing load that auto-purge this bloat. For the Anno-Scales, it deletes everything and restores defaults we specify.
    DGN linetype bloat is also auto-purged, although it's rare to run across this now. Most DWGs out there are clean.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

REGAPPs get left alone, manually purged from time to time. I've had problems with a few applications that get cranky when their REGAPP isn't present. They're rarely a problem for internally created files.

Annotation scales are handled automagically and intelligently i.e. each drawing has an idea of what should be there, and it will check any inherited from XREFs for the same name and values.

Login to Give a bone

I use my AutoPurgeReg utility (free at Exchange, link in my signature) to handle all unused RegApps at drawing Open and Save automagically, and Autodesk's 'Cleanup Scales' utility to batch process folder(s) of drawing's Annotation Scales at once... Just be sure to set the 'scale list threshold' to 0 (zero), so you don't end up with duplicate Annotation Scales with same name.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    I use my AutoPurgeReg utility (free at Exchange, link in my signature) to handle all unused RegApps at drawing Open and Save automagically, and Autodesk's 'Cleanup Scales' utility to batch process folder(s) of drawing's Annotation Scales at once... Just be sure to set the 'scale list threshold' to 0 (zero), so you don't end up with duplicate Annotation Scales with same name.
    Thanks BlackBox but before I install this utility I need ask.

Has anyone else install this and if so how is it working for you?

Sorry BlackBox I just want to make sure this utility has a little history of working before I install it.
    A few of our offices I recently have been helping have many problems with file size issues so I really need to take a second look at any I proposed to use as a fix.
    I my local office problems are small since most here use regapp and anno scale cleanup utility.
    I love that once install I won't need to worry about this issue so much...

Login to Give a bone

Thanks BlackBox but before I install this utility I need ask.

Has anyone else install this and if so how is it working for you?

Sorry BlackBox I just want to make sure this utility has a little history of working before I install it.
    A few of our offices I recently have been helping have many problems with file size issues so I really need to take a second look at any I proposed to use as a fix.
    I my local office problems are small since most here use regapp and anno scale cleanup utility.
    I love that once install I won't need to worry about this issue so much...
    No worries; questions are always welcomed.

If you're referring to my app; that's been published in Autodesk's Exchange Apps store since September 2013 (2014 version), it's got a 5-star rating (although getting positive feedback is very difficult), it's been downloaded +1300 times, used in +/- 70 Countries, and I've been using it for my own daily plans production since 2011 version. If you're apprehensive (that's fine), perhaps try it out on a single workstation that you've already backed up, before utilizing on multiple. Good news, it comes with a money back guarantee! Haha Besides, you can always email if you've found an issue.

If you're referring to Autodesk's Cleanup Scales app; it's fantastic too. The only real issue I have with it, is that it's a standalone app you've got to download from their KB page, and isn't either included with the official ACAD/C3D product installer, nor from your Autodesk Account. I use this LISP to make it available to users without having to navigate to the app's install folder to launch manually:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...r-AutoCAD.html

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...2-AE-2018.html

Code:
    (defun c:CleanupScales (/ file)
      (if (setq file (findfile "CleanupScales.exe"))
        (startapp "explorer" file)
        (prompt "\n** File \"CleanupScales.exe\" not found ** ")
      )
      (princ)
    )

HTH

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Thanks BlackBox,

I was worry you would take it the wrong way so thanks for the stats...

Ya, I was planning on install the AutoPurgeReg just on my station to see how it works and
    also be able to answer any questions users have later.

Scale list cleanup is less of an issue now but files coming from subs normally are cleaned up.
    I have a question on you lisp. How does CleanupScales.exe works if not on your local station?
    I did tried in the past to create a server load but it didn't work because it was looking for a .dll , if I remember right.

Using this lisp would also help me make it easier for the users to clean up their scales and those on subs files.

Lastly, Thanks again for understanding where I'm coming from, in wanting to make sure about the programs I tell ours users in my company about.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks BlackBox,

I was worry you would take it the wrong way so thanks for the stats...

Ya, I was planning on install the AutoPurgeReg just on my station to see how it works and
    also be able to answer any questions users have later.

Scale list cleanup is less of an issue now but files coming from subs normally are cleaned up.
    I have a question on you lisp. How does CleanupScales.exe works if not on your local station?
    I did tried in the past to create a server load but it didn't work because it was looking for a .dll , if I remember right.

Using this lisp would also help me make it easier for the users to clean up their scales and those on subs files.

Lastly, Thanks again for understanding where I'm coming from, in wanting to make sure about the programs I tell ours users in my company about.
    You're welcome; as explained in my email, I get it.

I encourage everyone to take what they like from what I offer. Nothing more.

As for CleanupScales.exe, step #3 of the ReadMe file explicitly states that the application EXE & resource DLL be placed in "the installation directory of your AutoCAD-based product."

Cheers

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

BlockBox.

I sometimes read to fast so I totally misunderstood this "I use this LISP to make it available to users without having to navigate to the app's install folder to launch manually:"

I thought you had a way to eliminating the users need to install locally by being able to run this app from the local server...

This lisp is nice but I have them place a shortcut for both apps on their Taskbar.

Thanks BlackBox...

By next week I hope to be able to tell them to remove the BROOM from the Taskbar...
    Last edited by CadDog; 2018-01-18 at 04:26 PM. Reason: second thought

Login to Give a bone

Cheers dude; glad you got it sorted.

Computer Specs: