Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Persistent Variables

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Persistent Variables

per-var.txt

This is after I tested the code, the original was just blank. I'll look into your suggestions too, I always find out I end up using 10 lines of code when 3 will work.

I don't know how it would work with combining the "w" and "r" parts of the first portion. Can you use (read-line) when the file is open to "W"? The first portion is there to create the file if its not found. If you can't use read-line there, it would need closed and re-opened as "R" anyway, if you can, then it would only need the "w" either way. Experiment time I'd say... looks like nope. Still neat thought, I haven't considered using an if function like that thought it makes sense now that I'm looking at it. Still I'm kinda slapping my head that I didn't use the (getenv "userprofile") from the get-go. Can't assume everyone uses c:\ for their system files. Could probably ditch the documents folder too, just in case someone had gotten rid of that folder. Or add a "search-and-create-if-not-found" snippet for the document folder.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Persistent Variables

Quote Originally Posted by ccalder View Post
    ... I always find out I end up using 10 lines of code when 3 will work.
    Such is the nature of development; you should see my .NET applications source-code.

Quote Originally Posted by ccalder View Post
    I don't know how it would work with combining the "w" and "r" parts of the first portion. Can you use (read-line) when the file is open to "W"? The first portion is there to create the file if its not found. If you can't use read-line there, it would need closed and re-opened as "R" anyway, if you can, then it would only need the "w" either way. Experiment time I'd say... looks like nope. Still neat thought, I haven't considered using an if function like that thought it makes sense now that I'm looking at it. Still I'm kinda slapping my head that I didn't use the (getenv "userprofile") from the get-go. Can't assume everyone uses c:\ for their system files. Could probably ditch the documents folder too, just in case someone had gotten rid of that folder. Or add a "search-and-create-if-not-found" snippet for the document folder.
    Your original code perplexed me, being hones; I just slapped that together while my project submittal was printing, hence wanting to know more.

I still feel that this is a bit more complicated than it needs to be - creating a new mechanism for storing typed-values to an external file, when there already exists a low-risk means by which to do same using built-in functions with HKCU hive in Registry.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12