Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huge file sizes

Login to Give a bone

Default Huge file sizes

OK, don't laugh, it wasn't my idea I just inheirted it.

The company I work at is still using ACAD 2000.

The drawings are simple and only have about a dozen layers. A finished drawing is maybe around 600KB. There is one user whose files consistently are 3 and 4MB. I've tried purging them, using superpurge, wblocking into another new drawing file and auditing them. Nothing works. One interesting note, when I ran the audit on one of them the first 2 passes it found 1067 items, the 3rd pass it found 20,700. I don't know what's going on.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Huge file sizes

Login to Give a bone

Definately check the layer filters.
    I find drawings all the time that have a couple hundred layer filters that come from "I don't do where"

Login to Give a bone

I found Robert's delet all layer filters routine and BAM, that did the trick. Now my question is: Why does it only happen on that one machine?

We all basically use the same technique; open the new floor plan, open a finished floor plan and cut & paste blocks, text, etc. But only that one user has a problem with the files getting huge. Is there a variable that controls that?

I'm definitely going to add Robert's LISP routine to our files and make a button for it on our toolbar.

After discovering that it was the Named Layer Filters I checked out the not so helpful HELP file to see how they're created and get copied around. I then went to check our template files and a few of our symbol files and guess what? You got it every file I checked had 215 unused Named Layer Filters. When I went to check the dwg files that were 3 & 4MB that had a whopping 19,000+ unused Named Layer Filters.

Man I can't wait til my boss coughs up the money to upgrade. Right now we only have 3 copies of 2004, and we need 3 more. They aren't using it because the last IT/CAD guy didn't like WindowsXP, either that or he didn't know or didn't want to find out if all the LISP routines he had written would still work in 2004 on an XP platform. I found out last week when they bought the new computers from Dell last year, they cam with XP, but he sent them back and ask them to install Windows2000 Pro and then install ACAD 2000 because that's what he knew how to use. So here I am trying to catch these guys up on stuff they should/could have been doing for a couple of years.

Oh well, at least it keeps me challenged at the office. However, I know my life is alot easier becuase of AUGI and these forums.

You guys really rock and really help me rock!!!

Login to Give a bone

As an aside -
    I recently inherited a bunch of small, innocuous drawings but, in each one, when I first click the layer manger, an acad alert box pops up with a message to the effect "This drawing contains more layer filters than layers. Do you wish to delete all layer filters? y/n".

Of course, I answered "yes".
    I'm surprised that no one else has mentioned this. Has no one else seen this alert?

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Huge file sizes

Quote Originally Posted by johnbogie
    As an aside -
    I recently inherited a bunch of small, innocuous drawings but, in each one, when I first click the layer manger, an acad alert box pops up with a message to the effect "This drawing contains more layer filters than layers. Do you wish to delete all layer filters? y/n".

Of course, I answered "yes".
    I'm surprised that no one else has mentioned this. Has no one else seen this alert?
    only those with acad 2006 installed... and, yes, this is something that I really enjoyed

check out the system variables on this:

Quote Originally Posted by help files
    Type: IntegerSaved in: RegistryInitial value: 2
    Deletes excessive layer filters to improve performance. When a drawing has 100 or more layer filters, and the number of layer filters exceeds the number of layers, LAYERFILTERALERT provides a method for deleting layer filters to improve performance.

Off

When the Layer Manager is opened, deletes all layer filters; no message is displayed

When the Layer Manager is opened, displays a message that states the problem, recommends deleting all filters, and offers a choice: “Do you want to delete all layer filters now?”

When the drawing is opened, displays a message that states the problem and offers to display a dialog box where you can choose which filters to delete

Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mes0945
    only those with acad 2006 installed... and, yes, this is something that I really enjoyed

check out the system variables on this:
    Looks like they got something right.

Login to Give a bone

So, there's no such variable in ACAD 2000?

Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: Huge file sizes

Quote Originally Posted by t-bone67
    So, there's no such variable in ACAD 2000?
    sorry, no such luck...
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

So, did you ever figure out why this happened on that one machine? We are having a similar problem but I can't recreate it to keep it from happening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast