Thread: Model Text and Flip Controls

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Model Text and Flip Controls

Has anyone determined how to get model text in a family (either in the family directly or nested as a different family) to Keep Readable when using flip controls? Mirroring the component does not work either.

I find it difficlut to believe this is a new question but nothing I tried as a search returned a result. We have never cared in the past since waste/recycle families were all individual base cabinets. Until we got this specific family request from our medical studio, we did not need a flip control for right/left.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Model Text and Flip Controls

Model text is a model and treated like any other component. To achieve what you are asking, you would need to make both model texts (one for one way, and another for the flipped orientation) and then add a visibility parameter that will toggle them.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Richard - CSG View Post
    ...make both model texts...
    Model Text is a "special" component. I am aware of your work-around but my question was whether Model Text might also behave in a "special" way so I could access something similar to Keep Readable.

The method you suggested means we must create the model text as a separate family. When it is nested into the host family with two instances, it increases the file size. If is not a huge amount (only about 80KB) but in a medical project with lots of patient rooms, the cabinet family is repeated multiple times with different sizes. Every little bit helps.

The reason model text without nesting does not work is that I can set the reference plane to align at the cabinet front but I must choose to align either the height or the location within the width. If you align and lock both, the family breaks. Every time. Therefore, I have a larger family than I need with the work-around or I must sacrifice some flexing and create separate "mirrored" families.

But thanks anyway...

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by phyllisr View Post
    Model Text is a "special" component. I am aware of your work-around but my question was whether Model Text might also behave in a "special" way so I could access something similar to Keep Readable.

The method you suggested means we must create the model text as a separate family. When it is nested into the host family with two instances, it increases the file size. ...
    I find Richard's solution to be the way to go in this case, and I don't understand why you say that in order to do that you 'must' create the model text as a separate family. Please refer to reply # 11 at http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=120123&page=2 , which shows a case where I applied what Richard is suggesting. In that whiteboard family (shown and provided in that thread), I could create another model text on the left, and just another visibility parameter to decide which text to show in each case. You could do the same in your casework family.
    Last edited by alfredo medina; 2010-08-31 at 01:57 PM.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    ... you 'must' create the model text as a separate family...
    The sample family in the post you referenced works correctly until you flex the size. Open the white board example and try changing the width to 5'-0". The parameter controlling the text location "breaks" and the label is no longer inside the white board. Nor is the mounting height controlled with a parameter. If you want the white board mounted at a different height, it will not stay in the corner. If I want to "fix" the location and change the size, I can only do it with a nested family.

Attached is the family I created using the work-around and a nested model text family. Hope this explains the problem and my solution. But I would still rather something like Keep Readable was an option.

Am I being clear as mud?
    Attached Files Attached Files

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by phyllisr View Post
    Am I being clear as mud?
    Clear as mud, Phyllis! you win. I remember having some issues with that family (although, I thought it was OK, but obviously, it is not) Now I remember why I did not put reference planes to control the width, because I did have issues locking the text to the whiteboard. You're correct. Now I see why you were mentioning the need to nest the model text.

Also, have you noticed that model text does Keep readable when mirrored in the family editor? ...strange
    Last edited by alfredo medina; 2010-08-31 at 03:56 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Richard - CSG View Post
    Model text is a model and treated like any other component. To achieve what you are asking, you would need to make both model texts (one for one way, and another for the flipped orientation) and then add a visibility parameter that will toggle them.
    I know how to control visibility. But how does my component know which way it is flipped? The project needs to tell my family which way it is flipped in order for me to control the visibility. Is the an IF statement i can use???

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by petermoltrup View Post
    ...how does my component know which way it is flipped?
    Unfortunately, you are stuck. You have stumbled on the reason I asked the question inititially. All the work-arounds and solutions require the modeler to pay attention and look at the elevation. Whether a modeler "should" do something is not always the same as actually doing it. We have had a few document sets issues with the text reading backward but so far (knock on wood) we have caught it in shop drawings and we have never gotten stuck with a settlement for cabinets actually constructed with backwards text.

Login to Give a bone

So this means there are absolutely no way to do this?? If so it seems like a huge flaw in the design. I dont care if my family size increased 10 folds, as long as there was a way. To me it would seem pretty easy to fix i there was just a function of some kind, one could call that would return a YES or a NO if the family was flipped or not.

All AUGI, all the time Alex Page's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

All because we cant put labels within the family in elevation