Thread: Incomplete profile view w/ double profile display

Heartland of the Mid-west, home of the Indy 500
    Login to Give a bone

Question Incomplete profile view w/ double profile display

2008 Civil 3D on a Sewer Project

On the last steps of creating first project in Civil 3D environment, I have come to a problem with the “Plan Production Tools”—I have the plan layout done, the profile made (looks great in the base file(module space)), I’ve set my template for the sheets, created the view frames, but when I create the sheets, the profile isn’t displaying completely (structures & pipes) within the viewport. All I can see is some of the top of them with the grade along the alignment. I picked to show the pipe network, all alignments, all profiles, and the surface for the plan & profile (reference material), but it’s not giving me a good profile in the sheet profile viewport. Does anyone have some suggestions on settings or anything else that may help?

Also, why does it ask you for a profile orientation (orgin) before it saves the file and creates the sheets in sheet-set? The profile already is drawn dynamic to the alignment in the file! I'm not getting this functionality. The problem that I’m having, along with this statement of the orientation (orgin), kind of makes me think that it’s not displaying the profile that is already drawn in the base file; also I’m getting duplicate labels for the structures in the plan & profiles sheets. Is this a correct theory and if yes, why did I waste the time to make a profile when the software doesn’t put that profile into the viewport that has already been created from the alignment?

I’ve down this many times and can’t get it to work correctly, I’m sure it may be something simple that I’m overlooking, but with no experience with C3D, I’m at a loss. Some of the settings change within the display when I tried new ones, but I always have data missing from the profile, duplicate anno, or both. Please help as soon as possible for a preliminary meeting on the project this week. Thank you for the assistance with this matter.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Incomplete profile view w/ double profile display

What happens is that new profile views are created when you use the plan production tools. So if you are setting it to create new layouts in your current drawing and you click the origin of your original profile... it just made overlapping profile views. Weird huh? It likes to have a separate profile view for each new layout. This means that pipes and other special annotation will not be on the new profile view.

there are many ways to go about this. Do you use the new profile views? do you delete them and only use the plan/profile layouts created. You will have to figure out what will work for you. Hope that helps. Keep asking questions if not.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Incomplete profile view w/ double profile display

Quote Originally Posted by dmanning View Post
    It likes to have a separate profile view for each new layout. This means that pipes and other special annotation will not be on the new profile view.

Do you use the new profile views? do you delete them and only use the plan/profile layouts created. You will have to figure out what will work for you.
    Why am I getting double anno in plan view for my structures after I create sheets?

I've figured that out with trial and error on the overlapping of the profiles.

Option 1 sounds like it would be best...I can move the existing profile into the viewport and it will look good after I add a bunch of text for side elevations for example. I would prefer to create a new profile style that would be the same as the existing profile, but the pipe network will not display completely in the display area of the viewport. All I get is the tops of the structures and the grid and the band cuts off the bottom of the structures and pipes from view. IMHO, this is a very poor tool in creating sheets for plans within a piping project; unless someone can point me in a better direction, I would be better off to treat the profile like I did in LDT.

Thank you for replying to this post and I look forward to hearing any other suggestions or comments with this function of Civil 3D.

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Incomplete profile view w/ double profile display

Quote Originally Posted by Openwheeler View Post
    Why am I getting double anno in plan view for my structures after I create sheets?
    I have found that within the reference data part of the "Sheet Creation" tool, if you select the pipe network, it will duplicate the anno from it; one within the reference file (automatically does) itself and the other that is referenced to the sheets (user triggered), which you will be able to delete that anno. Don't check the box for pipe network on the last step in data reference and you will not get duplicate anno.

Option 1 sounds like it would be best...I can move the existing profile into the viewport and it will look good after I add a bunch of text for side elevations for example. I would prefer to create a new profile style that would be the same as the existing profile, but the pipe network will not display completely in the display area of the viewport. All I get is the tops of the structures and the grid and the band cuts off the bottom of the structures and pipes from view. IMHO, this is a very poor tool in creating sheets for plans within a piping project; unless someone can point me in a better direction, I would be better off to treat the profile like I did in LDT..
    Due to no replies within this topic, and no luck finding a solution myself though the User Guide and the Help File, this is the only solution to get the profile correctly into the drawing viewport. Good luck to anyone that tries this…I would love to hear from someone if they can figure it out, and be successful in doing this task within the “Sheet Creation” tool.

Thank you and have a great day,

All AUGI, all the time brian.hailey933139's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Incomplete profile view w/ double profile display

What I do is to create a sheet for my plan and profile, xref in what I need, dataref in what I need, and create the sheets in that file. This way I only have what I need in this drawing.

As for the duplicate labeling, perhaps one is from the xref and the other from the data ref. Remember, you can label through an xref now.

I've also noticed that the elevations of the profile views created aren't all that great either. I usually have to go into each one and adjust the datum elevation. That will push the profile up a bit to show the pipes.

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Incomplete profile view w/ double profile display

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hailey View Post
    What I do is to create a sheet for my plan and profile, xref in what I need, dataref in what I need, and create the sheets in that file. This way I only have what I need in this drawing.
    That would work also. I just moved the profile view that I already created into the viewport. It looks great and I don't need to mess with the referencing; the sheet set already did that for me when I create the sheets.

As for the duplicate labeling, perhaps one is from the xref and the other from the data ref. Remember, you can label through an xref now.
    You are correct and I've figured this problem out already. See post above from me.

I've also noticed that the elevations of the profile views created aren't all that great either. I usually have to go into each one and adjust the datum elevation. That will push the profile up a bit to show the pipes.
    I've found the same thing. I was playing around with it more after the post; in the profile properties, you can adjust them after the creation of the profile (sheets). I then tried to recreate the sheets with the pipe network to show, but couldn't get them to appear again, so I just gave up trying because I ran out of time and had to get them done by a deadline. I will continue to try new things with the profiles in the plan production tools and let this thread know if I can get a system down for quality sheet creation.