Thread: AutoCAD on a second machine.

Login to Give a bone

Default AutoCAD on a second machine.

I have a strong feeling that I know the answer to this question, but thought it wise to check out the forum before giving up.

Is there a way to install or run AutoCAD on my laptop when ACAD 2010 is already installed on my desktop? There is virtually no chance I would be running ACAD concurrently on both machines. Is there such a thing as a used (AKA "Cheap") AutoCAD source of old versions?

I am a retiree on a fixed income, and use AutoCAD for my hobby, radio controlled model airplanes. My usage is entirely 2-D. My version 2010 was acquired years ago, but now, as a retiree, I can't afford the price of the cheapest version that I have found on the web.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Curt340924; 2012-04-22 at 09:37 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD on a second machine.

Read the licence file. As the owner of the licence, you should be able to install to both a desktop and a laptop for use by the same person.
    If that does not suit, look into the License Transfer Utility - here.

Login to Give a bone

IIRC the EULA enables you to do that, providing that both machines are owned by the licensee.

However, given your useage, you might be ahead looking at DWG compatible alternatives, Draftsight is free to use, for any purpose, as in nanoCad. I've run the former, but not the latter. DoubleCAD is also free, at least for personal use. Then there are BricsCAD from Bricsys and Ares Commander from Graebert - not free, but lower cost that Acad or LT - and programmable with LISP. (Draftsight is actually a modified version of Ares, mostly lacking the LISP programming capabilities). and of course, the various intellicad flavors - v7 was recently released and is supposed to be quite good -

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    IIRC the EULA enables you to do that, providing that both machines are owned by the licensee.
    Curt, Although the ELUA enables you to do that, you must fill out a Home Use License Agreement form in order to get the registration code. You do not need it if you use the license transfer utility.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

The Home Use is part of the Subscription agreement, not the normal EULA; since the OP is on 2010, my presumption would be that he's _not_ on sub. I don't have a 2010 EULA to look at, but here's the relevant info from 2011:

3.1.2 Use Away from Usual Work Location.
    (a) For Stand-alone (Individual) and Multiseat Stand-alone Versions. If You have acquired a Stand-alone (Individual) Version or Multiseat Stand-alone Versions, for each Permitted Number of copies of the Software, You may Install and Access, solely within Your Territory, one (1) additional copy of the Software on a second Computer provided that:
    (i) such second Computer is owned or leased by You (and not by another person, such as Your employee, if any);
    (ii) such second Computer is either a portable Computer or a nonserver Computer away from Your usual work location;
    (iii) the additional copy of Software is Accessed solely for the purpose of enabling You (or Your employee, if any) to perform work while away from Your usual work location;
    (iv) the original and additional copy of the Software are used only by the same person, and only one (1) of the Software copies is Accessed at any one time; and
    (v) both copies of the Software are Installed and Accessed exclusively with the copy protection device (if any) supplied with the Software.

very reasonable wording for an EULA, protects the vendor and give the licensee a bit of flexibility...

Login to Give a bone

Good to know. We've always had networked licenses, so I didn't know. I knew about the license transfer (PLU for older releases), but we just check out a networked lic.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

cadtag: I just compared the 2010 EULA 3.1.2 with your posting above. They are identical.

This is GREAT news!!

Curt