Thread: ADT 2004 sees Chinese text as Multibyte codes

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default ADT 2004 sees Chinese text as Multibyte codes

Hi everyone out there,
    I really need advise from anyone who knows this problem.
    One of our PCs running ADT2004 on Win2k having difficulties recognizing Chinese text created in Single-Line command. Whenever I tried editing the text, it appeared as Multibyte code. And while creating Chinese text, the text became '????' instead of Chinese text. But when I tried using Multi-line Text, there is no such problem.
    I have compared the Language Settings/Input Locales with one of the PC(that has no problem editing Chinese text), and both settings are no difference. I have also looked in the Text Style in ADT2004 and adding extract Chinese fonts, which also did not solve the problem.

Anyone out there has ever experiences this, appreciate you can "enlighten" with a solutions to this. : ) thanks

Jason

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ADT 2004 sees Chinese text as Multibyte codes

Hi

Hopefully the below will help, comes via an old ACAD Guild thread...

-----Original Message-----
    From: owner-guild-acad@augi.com [mailto:owner-guild-acad@augi.com]On Behalf Of John Chung
    Sent: 17 December 2002 03:30
    To: guild-acad@augi.com
    Subject: [ACAD] Resolving Japanese fonts

Dear AUGI:

We are exchanging drawing files with a firm in Japan and are having problems resolving the Kanji fonts. What should be Japanese characters appear as "??????" in the drawing.

However, when the text object is edited, the string reads "\M+18351\M+1815B\M+18367(\M+195C2\M+18DBD\M+1816A".

Any suggestions on resolving the font?

Thanks

Belt Collins Hawaii Ltd.
    John Chung

Sent: 17 December 2002 12:20
    To: John Chung; guild-acad@augi.com
    Subject: RE: [ACAD] Resolving Japanese fonts

Hi

The below information applies to Traditional Chinese Text in AutoCAD drawing files, as both Chinese and Japanese use Multibyte Shape Numbers (\M+nxxxx) and the Multibyte Interchange Format (MIF) to convert/display Asian Language Character Strings the information will equally apply to your situation.

Note - Code Page reference and Language support files need to be exchanged for your relevant situation.

Have a good one, Mike

ps Feel free to contact me off Guild if you require any further info and I'll see what I can come up with.

Hi

You really need all the Font files used in the drawings, if the font you are using with FONTALT does not contain all the characters required you will experience ????.

Asian Fonts (Big Fonts) use Multibyte Shape Numbers, the Multibyte Interchange Format (MIF) is used to convert/display Asian Language Character Strings.

ie 16-bit values - 65536 available characters therefore the control characters are \M+nxxxx

I would recommend that you have the languages you require installed as AutoCAD needs/uses these files when you Open drawings Created/Edited with different Code Page Information.

If you do not have the correct language support files installed you will get a AutoCAD Alert message when Opening such files along the lines of "The files required to convert Text Entities and Symbol Table Names.... this might result in a loss of information."

Worth a read are the following Technical Documents on the Autodesk Web Site under the Knowledge Base Section...

ID: TS17402 - General information about Unicode and code pages

ID: TS17404 - Multilingual support in AutoCAD 2000

ID: TS22535 - NLS error message when opening drawing

ID: TS74305 - Chinese fonts and Big Fonts in Windows XP

ID: TS15972 - Use Big Fonts or Asian language fonts in text

ID: TS36953 - Explanation of the differences between SHX font types

ID: TS36973 - Text displays as non characters in localized AutoCAD versions

Give us a shout if you need any more info/help.

Have a good one, Mike

ps The company I work for are currently working on the Taiwan High Speed Rail Project, so far we have produced over 8000 drawings, all contain English with full Chinese translation. Can send you off guild some e-mail's I've written about display of Chinese Text characters, will have to be next week sometime as I'm just leaving for the weekend (20:00 UK Time).

Hi

First things first, Apologies for misleading/giving incorrect information on the above subject. Believe me, I'm eating some humble pie as I type.

Please see message below that I've just sent to my company back in the UK.

Have found some additional information for those interested on this subject at the Autodesk Web Site under the Knowledge Base Section...

ID: TS17402 - General information about Unicode and code pages

ID: TS17404 - Multilingual support in AutoCAD 2000

ID: TS22535 - NLS error message when opening drawing

Have a good one, Mike

ps We Live & Learn (me, more slowly than most)

----- Original Message -----
    To: Barry Jones ; Jayanti Bodhania
    Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 6:56 PM
    Subject: Re: Chinese Version of Windows 2000

Hi

I can now (only in the last two hours) confirm that Chinese Character Input into AutoCAD is possible on a English Operating System.

Below is what I have just set-up and tested...

Windows 2000 Pro (English). I believe you can also use Windows XP Pro.
    AutoCAD 2002.

Keyboard Properties (Control Panel) -

Input locale: Chinese (Taiwan)
    Keyboard layout/IME: Chinese (Traditional) - Phonetic

&

Input locale: English (United States)
    Keyboard layout/IME: US

Regional Options (Control Panel) -

Both "Traditional Chinese" and "Western Europe and United States" Language support files installed.

In AutoCAD must use Multiline Text Editor (MText) for Chinese Character Input and Display.

Note - Font file must be Unicode enabled.

DText is NOT! designed for Multilingual Support, therefore can not be used for Chinese Character Input and Display.

This explains why this did not work when I tried (using exactly same PC config as above) only a few weeks ago to Input Chinese Characters into AutoCAD.

When tested I only tried DText, as this is the method used on the project for Text Input. Did not think to try MText at the time <:)

This is the only problem/disadvantage I've found so far.

It may be best considering the small cost (4550 NT Dollars - approx 90 of your English pound notes) to purchase the Chinese Operating System so that we have a backup method to hand. We know the Chinese Operating System works for are needs on this project.

I will buy the Chinese Keyboard tomorrow, if you want the Chinese Operating System please let me know by tomorrow morning (Taiwan time).

Regards, Mike

Have a good one, Mike
    Last edited by Mike.Perry; 2007-05-20 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Updated links.

Login to Give a bone

Last year I was working on vehicles for Disney Hong Kong.

I found that you can use Text/Dtext by creating a bigfont style using Romans.shx + Chineset.shx.
    I did have the advantage of receiving the required text strings in a Word document so could cut & paste once the bigfont was created.
    I also tried Mtext and several ttf fonts including Bitstream Cyberbit and found that NONE of them supported every required character.

HTH

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Entering Chinese text directly into AutoCAD via Text or DText is only possible via...
    • Copy / Cut & Paste from some other source.
    • Direct input of Multibyte Shape Numbers ie \M+nxxxx
    • AutoCAD running on Chinese Windows Operating System.
    Running AutoCAD on English Windows Operating System, it's not possible to directly type Chinese text at the keyboard into AutoCAD via Text or DText.

Below are some more old ACAD Guild posts on this subject...

To: guild-acad@augi.com
    Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 4:43 AM
    Subject: [ACAD] Asian Font

Can enter asian font in M-text editor, but when i click o.k....just ???? appears?

What am I missing.....thanks, Mike

To: Mike Perry
    Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 2:41 AM
    Subject: RE: [ACAD] Asian Font

Mike...thanks for the reply...I was holidaying and just got back.

I'm using XP Pro...with windows IME installed

Am using Autocad 2002

I am trying to use Japanese font in Autocad.

I can use Japanese fonts in MS Office, and it works fine.

I can use Chinese in Autocad, but not Japanese.

I got to where I was trying to use a different code page, but couldn't find how or where.

Tried creating Text style with 'use big font' checked, but didn't know which font name or style to choose.

If I've given you any clues here...I would appreciate any further insights you may have...thanks....Michael

Hi

How are you entering the text characters into the MText Editor?

ie are you writing the Multibyte "\M+nxxxx" shape numbers directly into the Editor or are you actually running a Chinese Windows Operating System and inputting the Chinese Characters from the keyboard.

Are you using Traditional Chinese - Code Page 950 or Simplified Chinese - Code Page 93

Has the PC you are using, both Traditional Chinese & Western Europe and United States language system support installed on them?

What Windows Operating System are you running? ie 98, NT, 2000 Pro etc

What version of AutoCAD are you running?

Are you using a native AutoCAD Big Font File (.shx) or a TrueType Font?

Below is a little extract from the OnLine Help File...

Characters in text strings that are unavailable in the current font including any Unicode control characters are displayed as question marks. However, Unicode control characters are not [/size][size=2]interpreted if the current font does not support Unicode. In that case, the control characters are displayed literally.

Have a good one, Mike

Sent: Saturday, 13 April 2002 6:35 PM
    To: ACAD Guild; Michael Smith
    Subject: Re: [ACAD] Asian Font

Hi Michael

Am assuming you are using the English Version of both Windows XP Pro & AutoCAD 2002.

Can you really actually type Chinese Text within AutoCAD using you present configuration?

If so please tell how you managed to do so, as even the local people here (Taiwan) can not do that when using AutoCAD (English) running on English Operating System.

Here most local people use the English Operating System Version with English (United States) IME and the following Chinese IME installed...

Input locale: Chinese (Taiwan)
    Keyboard layout/IME: Chinese (Traditional) - Phonetic

Plus in Regional Settings they have both "Traditional Chinese" and "Western Europe and United States" Language support files installed.

This allows them to type either language in Most! application, this is definitely try for all MS products ie Word, Excel....

I would recommend that you have the languages you require installed as AutoCAD needs/uses these files when you Opening drawings Created/Edited with different Code Page Information.

If you do not have the correct language support files installed you will get a AutoCAD Alert message when Opening such files along the lines of "The files required to convert Text Entities and Symbol Table Names.... this might result in a loss of information."

Regional Settings is where you set the Code Page that is used by the PC -

General Tab -> Your locale (location): Choose the Country you want from the list in the Drop

Down Box-> Click Apply Button, you have now changed the Code Page of the PC.

To see this within AutoCAD at the CommandLine Prompt type "SysCodePage" should return the value 1252 (US & Western European). Now go to Regional Settings and do the above, choose Chinese (Taiwan) as the location. Back to AutoCAD and type "SysCodePage" should now return 950 (Chinese - Taiwan, Hong Kong).

Local's here using AutoCAD (English) that need/require the ability to Enter Chinese Text directly into the drawing files have AutoCAD (English) running on Chinese Operating System. This is the only way I've been told (seen) that Chinese Text can be Entered directly into AutoCAD drawing files.

What we've actually done here is set up a couple of PC's in the following manner -

Operating System - Chinese Windows 2000 Pro
    AutoCAD Version - English AutoCAD 2002

so that when Chinese Text is required in a AutoCAD Drawing File you go to one of these PC's (Before you ask, No I can not write Chinese, wish I could but am way too simple to learn such a complex writing style).

The Big Font that you try to use must support the language that you require (Apologies if this is stating the obvious).

Hope the above makes some sort of sense and is of help; just ask away if you have any more questions.

Have a great week, Mike

Please refer to post below for continuation....
    Last edited by Mike.Perry; 2007-05-20 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Correct bad formatting

Login to Give a bone

Continued from above post....

To: Mike Perry ; ACAD Guild ; Michael Smith
    Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 10:48 AM
    Subject: RE: [ACAD] Asian Font

Mike & Mike,

I'm using Win XP and AutoCad R14 & 2002.

I can happily enter any Asian text I like using Unicode fonts. Is there some reason that you can't use this method? Or this font type?

Using this, I can enter any Asian characters using the control characters \U+nxxx, in either Dtext or Mtext, and it appears beautifully on screen. I don't have to muck about with code pages or any system level settings. I just install the font for Windows then define a new style in AutoCad to use that font. You need to use the Windows Character Map to obtain the codes for the characters you need. It's slow, tedious work, but results can be achieved. I could send you a screen grab to show you a sample if you like.

The key issue for me is the output, and ensuring that whatever you get on screen will translate to the final form you choose. Although I guess this could just be the dwg itself.

I'm trying to migrate to Unicode font use for the ability to use any language, but am struggling as I ultimately want PostScript file output, for publishing purposes, which no-one seems to support yet. But if you are happy with say, plotted output, then Unicode fonts should do what you need.

Chris

Sent: 16 April 2002 05:25
    To: Chris Lee Ack; ACAD Guild; Michael Smith
    Subject: Re: [ACAD] Asian Font

Hi

Splitting hairs here but Asian Fonts (Big Fonts) use Multibyte Shape Numbers, the Multibyte Interchange Format (MIF) is used to convert/display Asian Language Character Strings.

ie 16-bit values - 65536 available characters

therefore the control characters are \M+nxxxx

\U+nxxxx uses the Code Page Independent Format (CIF) to convert/display those type of Text Strings.

Yes I agree the method you use to Enter Asian Text works but as you stated this is a very time consuming process.

Here we will have approx 5000 drawings on this project when completed and all must have English Text plus the equivalent Chinese Text on. This is why we have gone with the Chinese Operating System as this is the only method I/we know of that enables Chinese Text to be typed directly at the key board and appear in AutoCAD. I think you will agree that this method is a lot quicker than Entering Control Characters for each Chinese Text Symbol.

You would have to worry about Code Pages, Language Support Files if you where sharing/exchanging AutoCAD files between users that have/use different Language Operating Systems.

We were even given by the Client a Utility that changes the Code Page Information within a AutoCAD Drawing File. This Utility is handy but has it's own problems/bugs associated with it, due to these issues we no longer use this program on this project.

Refer to previous E-mail I posted on this Subject "Re: [ACAD] Display of Asian Text Characters" Dated 23.02.02.

I'm more than happy to share this Utility with anyone how may be interested, as I do believe it is a Freeware Program.

Here we use a Big Font (Unicode) .shx File supplied again by the Client.

Lee have you checked out the command PSOUT and taken a look at the acad.psf file, these may be of interest/help to you regarding PostScript (EPS) output.

Have a great week, Mike

Have a good one, Mike
    Last edited by Mike.Perry; 2007-05-20 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Correct bad formatting.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Guys,

I am having a similar problem. We have drawings with mostly english and some text in chinese so at first we are not able to display the chinese font at all and then later we added HZTXT.SHX chinese font and we are able to see all the chinese font properly. But, now the problem is when we open the drawings in AutoCAD 2007 or DWG Trueview 2007.... we can see the font but when we print the drawings then all the Chinese font Characters are getting displayed as square boxes. IS THERE ANY SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM? One solution that i gave to the user is change the font on the machine from English United States to Chinese(PRC) in Control Panel --> Regional Languages. Then he printed the drawings and chinese font got printed properly.

My Question is ....Is the above mentioned solution is the only one or is there a better way to print chinese font in US machines. Please advise.

Thanks in Advance