See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Reassigning F1 key

Login to Give a bone

Default Reassigning F1 key

I know this topic has been done to death, but I have an issue reassigning the F1 key in 2014. I reassigned it the same way as I did in 2013, by going through my CUI, keyboard shortcuts, shortcut keys. I added the save command and used the F1 key. Now every time I hit F1, it saves the drawing but also brings up the help window. How do I keep the help window from popping up every time?

Any help is appreciated.

Jared

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Reassigning F1 key

Quote Originally Posted by jaredk View Post
    I know this topic has been done to death, but I have an issue reassigning the F1 key in 2014. I reassigned it the same way as I did in 2013, by going through my CUI, keyboard shortcuts, shortcut keys. I added the save command and used the F1 key. Now every time I hit F1, it saves the drawing but also brings up the help window. How do I keep the help window from popping up every time?

Any help is appreciated.

Jared
    This is something I have never been able to do with the CUI (since our company locks it from CAD users modifying it), so instead I reassign it using AutoHotKey. Since I run AutoHotkey at startup I never have an issue with the F1 key having issues. You can assign it within AutoHotkey to only run the save command when the AutoCAD window is active. AutoHotkey is a free program you can download if you don't already have it.
    Last edited by FabriCADed; 2013-07-11 at 12:47 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by FabriCADed View Post
    This is something I have never been able to do with the CUI (since our company locks it from CAD users modifying it), so instead I reassign it using AutoHotKey. Since I run AutoHotkey at startup I never have an issue with the F1 key having issues. You can assign it within AutoHotkey to only run the save command when the AutoCAD window is active. AutoHotkey is a free program you can download if you don't already have it.
    Could you send me the script to assign it only while AutoCad is active? I tried reading through the tutorials for AutoHotkey but I am no scripter and everything was way over my head. The most experience I have is creating a few LISP files.

Login to Give a bone

Could you send me the script to assign it only while AutoCad is active? I tried reading through the tutorials for AutoHotkey but I am no scripter and everything was way over my head. The most experience I have is creating a few LISP files.
    Code:
    #IfWinActive AutoCAD 2010
    F1::WinMenuSelectItem, , , File, Save  
    return
    Keep in mind that if you are running a different version of CAD you will need to change the script to read that version instead of AutoCAD 2010. Let me know if you run into issues.

Login to Give a bone

Code:
    #IfWinActive AutoCAD 2010
    F1::WinMenuSelectItem, , , File, Save  
    return
    Keep in mind that if you are running a different version of CAD you will need to change the script to read that version instead of AutoCAD 2010. Let me know if you run into issues.
    Apparently I did something wrong. I'm using AutoCad Architecture 2014. I changed the first line to say that, but when I run the script, pressing F1 does absolutely nothing. At least it doesn't bring up the help box but it doesn't save. What am I missing?

Login to Give a bone

Apparently I did something wrong. I'm using AutoCad Architecture 2014. I changed the first line to say that, but when I run the script, pressing F1 does absolutely nothing. At least it doesn't bring up the help box but it doesn't save. What am I missing?
    It is possible that the window that is running is something other than "AutoCAD Architecture 2014", you can use the Window Spy feature that AutoHotkey provides to tell you what the Window title actually is. Right click on the AutoHotkey icon in your tray and select window spy, it should pop up with a window that is blank, then click on your AutoCAD Architecture window and the first line in the Window Spy window should tell you what the window you are running actually is called. (The attached image shows you a clip of the window spy running.)

window spy.JPG

Then you can insert that into the code, make sure you reload the script then see if it works or not. If not, I am not completely sure as I am just a beginner with Autohotkey scripts myself, but I will continue to try and troubleshoot best I can.

Login to Give a bone

It is possible that the window that is running is something other than "AutoCAD Architecture 2014", you can use the Window Spy feature that AutoHotkey provides to tell you what the Window title actually is. Right click on the AutoHotkey icon in your tray and select window spy, it should pop up with a window that is blank, then click on your AutoCAD Architecture window and the first line in the Window Spy window should tell you what the window you are running actually is called. (The attached image shows you a clip of the window spy running.)

window spy.JPG

Then you can insert that into the code, make sure you reload the script then see if it works or not. If not, I am not completely sure as I am just a beginner with Autohotkey scripts myself, but I will continue to try and troubleshoot best I can.
    After running window spy, I found out the window is called "AutoCAD Architecture 2014 - English". I inserted this into the script but it still didn't work. Don't worry about troubleshooting it. You at least got the help box to stop popping up. Thank you for the help.

Login to Give a bone

After running window spy, I found out the window is called "AutoCAD Architecture 2014 - English". I inserted this into the script but it still didn't work. Don't worry about troubleshooting it. You at least got the help box to stop popping up. Thank you for the help.
    Ha, it's in my nature to try and fix it once I get started.

You may be able to use the following as your code.

Code:
    #IfWinActive AutoCAD Architecture 2014 - English
    F1::^s
    return
    Make sure AutoHotkey is running and that the script has been reloaded before running using the hotkey. Also you can delete the
    Code:
    part if you wish, but keep in mind it will remap the F1 key for every program at that point. If you don't mind that, you can do that and it will become a save key regardless of program.

Login to Give a bone

Ha, it's in my nature to try and fix it once I get started.

You may be able to use the following as your code.

Code:
    F1::^s
    return
    Make sure AutoHotkey is running and that the script has been reloaded before running using the hotkey. Also you can delete the
    Code:
    part if you wish, but keep in mind it will remap the F1 key for every program at that point. If you don't mind that, you can do that and it will become a save key regardless of program.
    You are a lifesaver! I tried the first code and presto, it worked. Thank you so much for the help. Now I have to do this to everybody else's computers when they do their upgrades, but at least now I know how to do it. By the way, you mentioned you have autohotkey run the script at startup--do I just convert the script to .exe and add it to my Startup folder?

Login to Give a bone

You are a lifesaver! I tried the first code and presto, it worked. Thank you so much for the help. Now I have to do this to everybody else's computers when they do their upgrades, but at least now I know how to do it. By the way, you mentioned you have autohotkey run the script at startup--do I just convert the script to .exe and add it to my Startup folder?
    I actually just have the AutoHotkey executable in the startup folder, it starts it and the script is the only one I use so it automatically loads. I usually save my script into my Documents folder.