See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: #$&%! - why can't Autodesk at least provide at least the BASIC REVIT family in MEP?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: #$&%! - why can't Autodesk at least provide at least the BASIC REVIT family in MEP?

Quote Originally Posted by wboyanton View Post
    geeze how about something as rare as a wall mounted thermostat?
    The more I use REVIT the more I'm conviced AutoCAD is screwing all of us that purchased this software, it is no where near a finished usable product.
    Has Autodesk provided you with every AutoCAD block you've ever needed? Probably not. Learn to use the family editor. You can easily create a wall mounted thermostat by starting off with a light switch family.

Quote Originally Posted by wboyanton View Post
    Yet we foolishly and blindly follow them.....
    The "foolish and blindly" part is up to you. I'm using Revit because 1) I enjoy using it and 2) I like being employed. Like it or not, the industry is shifting from AutoCAD (2D) to Revit (3D). Many of the architects in my area are switching to Revit, and therefore, MEP firms who are using Revit MEP are going to have the edge. Sure, Revit MEP is far from perfect, but it will only improve with constructive criticism instead of ranting and raving.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: #$&%! - why can't Autodesk at least provide at least the BASIC REVIT family in MEP?

Well said...

Quote Originally Posted by sec-k View Post
    Has Autodesk provided you with every AutoCAD block you've ever needed? Probably not. Learn to use the family editor. You can easily create a wall mounted thermostat by starting off with a light switch family.

The "foolish and blindly" part is up to you. I'm using Revit because 1) I enjoy using it and 2) I like being employed. Like it or not, the industry is shifting from AutoCAD (2D) to Revit (3D). Many of the architects in my area are switching to Revit, and therefore, MEP firms who are using Revit MEP are going to have the edge. Sure, Revit MEP is far from perfect, but it will only improve with constructive criticism instead of ranting and raving.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mjdanowski View Post
    It has always been my advice to new users to get familiar with the family editor and the way families are created and constrained. If you do this, you will find that working in a Revit project is a lot easier.

You can do this!

Just create a generic annotation family of your thermostat and add it to the project.
    I know, I was just suggesting it to the OP.

Its not very BIM, its just the way I've been drawing thermostats in Revit and AutoCAD.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sec-k View Post
    Sure, Revit MEP is far from perfect, but it will only improve with constructive criticism instead of ranting and raving.

It is human nature to 'rant and rave'. I admit to a degree of ranting and raving myself. It's no different to, say, shouting at the kids to hurry up and get ready for school!
    Have you never shouted at anyone? It's called emotion, and I'm sure no-one here means anything malicious. I would have thought that if we are all restricted to "talking" placidly here then there is a danger that the message will not get accross!
    Last edited by Michael.c; 2009-05-21 at 02:53 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Oh, don't get me wrong, I've wanted to throw my computer across the room on many occasions because Revit was acting up. However, that wouldn't get me anywhere. Maybe I'm just beyond that point since I've been using Revit when it first came out as Revit Systems. There just comes a point where it seems a little childish I guess.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: #$&%! - why can't Autodesk at least provide at least the BASIC REVIT family in MEP?

Quote Originally Posted by michael.crowhurst View Post
    Australia
    (isn't Queensland part of Australia, beancurd?)

Michael I have yet to see anyone use Oval duct in all the leading consultants in New Zealand and Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by michael.crowhurst
    It is human nature to 'rant and rave'. I admit to a degree of ranting and raving myself. It's no different to, say, shouting at the kids to hurry up and get ready for school!
    Have you never shouted at anyone? It's called emotion, and I'm sure no-one here means anything malicious. I would have thought that if we are all restricted to "talking" placidly here then there is a danger that the message will not get accross!
    If you shout at kids, chances are they grow up to become a shouting and raving adult, cutting their pocket money works better.

I think if you are in a consultantcy people expect your to find solutions, fix problems and be positive, if I was raving and shouting and played the blaming game I would have been sacked long time ago.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Beancud View Post
    Michael I have yet to see anyone use Oval duct in all the leading consultants in New Zealand and Australia.

If you shout at kids, chances are they grow up to become a shouting and raving adult, cutting their pocket money works better.

I think if you are in a consultantcy people expect your to find solutions, fix problems and be positive, if I was raving and shouting and played the blaming game I would have been sacked long time ago.
    1. Re the oval duct....it's not commonly used but it is required every now and then.
    2. I don't see a problem with a bit of harmless venting of frustration with a product which is unarguably recognised, at the very least, as not being up to scratch
    (....and I just noticed that you refer to yourself as "The angry revit monster")

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Beancud View Post
    Most of the firms I've worked with use Oval duct as a preference here in the US. It is more efficient than rectangular and "looks nice"...so in exposed ceiling conditions they prefer oval. I hear about the lack of this capability from the majority of HVAC engineers I meet in the US.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: #$&%! - why can't Autodesk at least provide at least the BASIC REVIT family in MEP?

but damit I like to rant and rave....

Besides a Bitching (former) Marine is a happy Marine....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    Most of the firms I've worked with use Oval duct as a preference here in the US. It is more efficient than rectangular and "looks nice"...so in exposed ceiling conditions they prefer oval. I hear about the lack of this capability from the majority of HVAC engineers I meet in the US.
    Yes here in the US, Oval duct is widely used. It is more efficent and very usful if you have a low ceiling or a small plenum space.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast