See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Simple Array

Login to Give a bone

Default Simple Array

I'm trying to do what i thought was a simple array. i have a parameter which controls the height and an array to evenly space lines horizontally. when i change the height, the array splays on an angle instead of a straight line. i tried locking the line to the top and bottom reference planes before i arrayed it, but it doesn't help. When i lock the first and last line in the array after its already arrayed i get an error message. ive tried to array it with unchecking "group and associate" but then i cant control the array

what am i doing wrong?

ive attached an image for you to see what it looks like
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Simple Array

Try this:

Delete the old array.

Place your first line and align lock both the line and each end to the reference planes. Flex the planes to make sure the line is locked.

Array the line, with "group & associate" checked and "move to last" checked.

Once arrayed highlight the last line, and edit the group. When in edit mode, align lock the last line to it's reference plane as well as each end. Exit the editing session.

Add your parameter to the array count if used, and then flex the reference plane to see if the lines behave.

Login to Give a bone

i tried doing this already, and i tried doing it again just like you said and it still doesn't work. this seems like something that should be so simple and very common, yet i cant figure it out. pretty fustrating. any more ideas?

i used a line based family, do you think that has anything to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    Try this:

Delete the old array.

Place your first line and align lock both the line and each end to the reference planes. Flex the planes to make sure the line is locked.

Array the line, with "group & associate" checked and "move to last" checked.

Once arrayed highlight the last line, and edit the group. When in edit mode, align lock the last line to it's reference plane as well as each end. Exit the editing session.

Add your parameter to the array count if used, and then flex the reference plane to see if the lines behave.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If you want the lines in the array to be flexible in height, you need to use a nested family. Nested families are the only way to have something IN an array, and have it still be flexible in nature.

The line goes in its own family, with a height constraint. You then load it in to the array family, and array the line family. In the array group, you go to the properties of the line family, and tie the height parameter to a height parameter in the array family.

Login to Give a bone

thank you so much! it worked. i thought it would be a little easier but it works nonetheless. thanks again!