Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Transparent Local File Creation - GUI (v5) *UPDATED*

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Transparent Local File Creation - GUI (v5) *UPDATED*

Hi all,

I decided to start a new thread since this represents a substantial re-work in the approach when compared to my original version. Although as you'll see, it's still quite faithful to the original concept of using a shortcut to launch your project on a daily basis.

I'm going to keep this short as you can find help on the ins and outs by clicking HERE. Feel free to post comments, questions, suggestions, etc. in this thread. Hope you find it useful!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #### Version 5 - 04/18/2010

Revit: Tested to work with 2009, 2010 & 2011. Should also work with 2008 but have not tested.
    OS: Windows 7 (x64), Vista Enterprise (x64). Should also work on XP (x64) but have not tested.
    Features:
    1. Centralized application with a GUI that lets you navigate to your Central File Folder and displays projects that comply with the naming convention. You can then right-click and pick an option. It's that simple!
    2. Shortcuts are written to the desktop automatically so you only need to interact with the application window once. Next time you need to launch your project's local file, you use the desktop shortcut as in previous versions.
    3. Most settings are now customizable within settings.ini.
    4. Build checking has been greatly enhanced to only warn those machines working on a project whose build is behind that of the team. The warnings go away automatically once the machine is upgraded.

#### Version 5.1 - 07/21/2013

This has now been upgraded to work with 2013 and 2014 (even OneBox) and it can be downloaded from here as I could not upload it to this forum for some reason!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dbaldacchino; 2013-07-21 at 09:26 PM. Reason: New release

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Transparent Local File Creation - GUI (v5) *UPDATED*

David,
    Thanks for providing the update...Our Team members appreciate the creativeness.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Transparent Local File Creation - GUI (v5) *UPDATED*

Thanks! The first planned update is to add functionality to launch the worksharing monitor, similar to David Kingham's version...we'll see

Login to Give a bone

Hmmm, I was just giving this a try and ran into a little problem with my version of Revit.

I don't know if you're still under NDA or not, but I'd like a peak at what they've got planned... maybe you could pm me some screen shots or something?

Edit: oh, now I see what's going on there... i'm suppose to add the version number of *revit* to the file name, not the version number of our "project" (we use "version" numbers through various design iterations). i got it now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by iru69; 2010-04-30 at 06:05 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Hahaha 2041? I hope to retire by then

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Transparent Local File Creation - GUI (v5) *UPDATED*

Dave,
    Love it! But...
    If I have an integrated discipline model, the naming convention can't work. Can there be a line (or lines) added to the settings that identifies the discipline as "X" then gives user option of flavor?
    -Gary

Login to Give a bone

Hi Gary, can you please explain a little further with an example? Some example filenames would be valuable to understand the issue.

Login to Give a bone

Dave,
    If I understand the launcher correctly, it looks to the discipline designator in the filename to pick the appropriate Revit flavor to launch. We have a single integrated model for multiple disciplines (and therefore using all flavors). My challenge would be for the flavor selection to be manually chosen by whomever is launching.

Login to Give a bone

Gotcha. That would, however, defeat the automation-niceties of the app

For your very particular case, you can place the app on each user's machine (unzip to a folder) and modify the settings.ini file to point at the install path of the particular flavor you want that user to always use for this project. This way let's say all your users have all 3 flavors installed, but you want user A to open with RAC, B to open with RST and C to open with RMEP, then you force all paths for A to RAC, B to RST and C to RMEP. Now irrespective of the discipline designator you use, the 'forced' Revit flavor will be used for each user.

If the same users need to work on "normal" jobs and you need the original functionality (correct flavor of Revit to be used per discipline designator), then you can have them use an additional version of the application in it's original form (so you can have an independent settings.ini file), whether on the network or their local C drive.

If A has only RAC installed, B has only RST and C has only RMEP, then the application in its original configuration will still open the installed version for you and you don't need to tweak anything. You will just get one warning that the correct flavor was not found (ex: designator "A" and user only has RST) and will ask if you want to use another flavor to open it.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

David

We have been using a version of your local gen for the last few years. When I tried to update the script for 2011 the auto opened session of Revit is no longer seen by workshare monitor. After working with some other people we think we have this nailed down to the journal file from the old script.

The journal opens Revit just fine but apparently something is missing. The real mystery is that if you use a Revit created journal file to open a file then that session of Revit also is not seen by workshare monitor.

Looking at your Local Gen v5 you use a completely different set of commands. Is this something that you stumbled upon or are the commands documented somewhere in the API?

Old Journal
    Code:
    FileAppend,
    (
    '
    Set Jrn = CrsJournalScript
    Jrn.Command "Menu" , "Open an existing project , 57601 , ID_REVIT_FILE_OPEN"
    Jrn.Data "File Name"  _
    , "IDOK", "%Destination%\%LocalFile%"
    Jrn.Data "WorksetConfig"  _
    , "Editable", 0
      Jrn.Data "MessageBox"  _
              , "IDOK", "This Central File has been copied or moved from ""%A_WorkingDir%\%CentralFile%"" to ""%Destination%\%LocalFile%""." & vbCrLf & "" & vbCrLf & "If you wish this file to remain a Central File then you must re-save the file as a Central File. To do this select ""Save As"" from the ""File"" menu and check the ""Make this a Central File after save"" check box (under the options button) before you save." & vbCrLf & "" & vbCrLf & "If you do not save the file as a Central File then it will be considered a local user copy of the file belonging to user ""%USERNAME%""."
    Jrn.Command "Menu" , "Workset control , 33460 , ID_SETTINGS_PARTITIONS"
    ), %JournPath%specify.txt
    Your v5 Journal

Code:
    If VRSN >= 10
    	{
    	FileAppend,
    	(
    	'
    	Jrn.Command "Internal" , "Open an existing project , ID_REVIT_FILE_OPEN"
    	Jrn.Data "FileOpenSubDialog" , "DetachCheckBox", "True"
    	Jrn.Data "TaskDialogResult"  , "Detaching this file will create an independent file and you will be unable to synchronize your changes with the original central file. Are you sure you want to detach this file?",  "Yes", 6
    	Jrn.Data "File Name" , "IDOK", "%FolderCentral%\%CENTRALFILE%"    
    	Jrn.Data "WorksetConfig" , "Custom", 0
    	), %JournPath%detach.txt
    	}
    	Else
    	{
    	FileAppend,
    	(
    	'
    	Jrn.Command "Internal" , "Open an existing project , ID_REVIT_FILE_OPEN"
    	Jrn.Data "FileOpenSubDialog" , "DetachCheckBox", "True"
    	Jrn.Data "MessageBox" , "IDOK", "Detaching creates an independent file and prohibits saving any changes back to the original Central File."
    	Jrn.Data "File Name" , "IDOK", "%FolderCentral%\%CENTRALFILE%"   
    	Jrn.Data "WorksetConfig" , "Custom", 0
    	), %JournPath%detach.txt
    	}
    I am trying to understand what the difference in the commands is and how we can avoid or correct the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast