See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making changes across multiple drawings

Login to Give a bone

Cool Making changes across multiple drawings

Hi

Is there a programme. LISP or Macro for updating the Revision of drawings. I have 60 drawing that need a new Rev, date and description.
    I am using autocad 2013.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Making changes across multiple drawings

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wise View Post
    Hi

Is there a programme. LISP or Macro for updating the Revision of drawings. I have 60 drawing that need a new Rev, date and description.
    I am using autocad 2013.
    You can use something like ScriptPro, or write your own LISP code to do the same with ObjectDBX, which will be a great deal faster (but requires a great deal more coding).

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Also thought I'd mention Sheet Set Manager (SSM) as another option, particularly for incorporating Field populated values into your Attributed Title Block(s)... I make a single Sheet Set (custom?) Property change without opening a drawing in the editor, and the entire plan set is updated automagically.

Cheers

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    ... into your Attributed Title Block(s)...

Sorry for the thread hijack, but it's semi-related....

I keep trying to find the advantage to using attributed title blocks...
    Why would someone want duplicated linework in every sheet file?
    We xref in the border/title block drawing, and then any needed fields (for things that vary on each sheet) are just TEXT or MTEXT entities sitting in each sheet file.
    Anything that is consistent on all sheets (Project Title, job number, etc.) is simply plain text in the xref.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    Sorry for the thread hijack, but it's semi-related....

I keep trying to find the advantage to using attributed title blocks...
    Why would someone want duplicated linework in every sheet file?
    We xref in the border/title block drawing, and then any needed fields (for things that vary on each sheet) are just TEXT or MTEXT entities sitting in each sheet file.
    Anything that is consistent on all sheets (Project Title, job number, etc.) is simply plain text in the xref.
    [continue thread hijack]
    I agree for the most part, especially if you are using SSM.

But I think the advantage for attributed blocks in a title block (where the information changes) is, it's pre-set up with the correct text style, justification, layer, etc. and so you don't run the risk of some cad-hack throwing down just any old text. And you can edit everything in on dialog box instead of editing pieces of text. And of course they can contain fields too.

But yes, in a perfect world, you would have text sitting in your drawings that no one would mess with, with fields controlled by SSM, no need to go in and edit each sheet.
    [/thread hijack]

Login to Give a bone

Our Title Blocks are dynamic, with Visibility States, allowing for user to quickly switch between Plan (Full), Plan (Double, Horiz), Plan (Double, Vert), Plan and Profile, Plan and Profile (Double, Horiz), Profile (Full), Profile (Double, Horiz), [Cross] Section (Full), [Cross] Section (Double, Vert), and Exhibit (Border Only [no attributes]), etc.

I've implemented event-driven code to resize/remove/create Viewports with Plan, Profile, and Section properties automagically... User merely needs to zoom to correct location, and apply Annotation Scale (which modifies standard scale; due to built-in one-way relationship).

This can be done via Visibility State icon when title block is selected, or via Menu macro as part of user's workspace (even if title block layer is locked; which it is, via AcadDoc.lsp at drawing open).

If you're going to insert a block into each-and-every-single sheet (which is easier to maintain then separate MText entities anyway), then what does it matter if it's a self-contained, functional title block?

If I need to modify the actual block and attributes, I go to one location. So I guess I've never seen the benefit of splitting them up into 2 or more (XREF, and Attributed block of annotation only, or MText, etc. mapped to Fields), which just introduces complexity. Now, I've also automated our ability to 'update' title blocks for an entire directory at a time, if/when that rare occasion comes up (how often do you update standards?).

Also, doesn't using XREF Title Block preclude Civil 3D Plans Production Tools (maybe it doesn't *not sure*)? You may not be using that functionality now, but you could down the road.

In any event, as-is I only open a given sheet (after being setup) to actually edit that sheet. If any content in the title block needs updating (i.e., sheet-specific plan revision notes, sheet title, station range, or project-specific client name, project phase, etc.), I just edit via SSM Sheet and Sheet Set Custom Properties accordingly, and print. It may take a bit more time to setup initially, but once in place, is far less 'maintenance' that to split it all up, IMHO.

To batch purge before sendout, I have one entity (and a layer?) to strip, and all sheet content is gone... If you split it up into 2 or more (XREF and annotation-only block mapped to Fields), you still have two entities (and a layer?) to strip, which is only made more time consuming if using separate MText in lieu of a secondary block anyway... I'm struggling to see the upside of splitting them, even with the use of automations.

Cheers

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

Also, doesn't using XREF Title Block preclude Civil 3D Plans Production Tools (maybe it doesn't *not sure*)? You may not be using that functionality now, but you could down the road.

Not using it, never will.

Login to Give a bone

Not using it, never will.
    That's entirely your choice (obviously)... You've piqued my interest, as to why such a strong opinion about something you don't use?

Cheers

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

That's entirely your choice (obviously)... You've piqued my interest, as to why such a strong opinion about something you don't use?

Cheers
    It just won't work. I could possibly see how it might have some use on a relatively straight alignment with one or two utilities, but our P&P sheets are far too complex, and we'd spend much more time "fighting the system", than just doing it the way we've always done it.

Source: We have used the PPT - that is how we came to the conclusion above.

Login to Give a bone

It just won't work. I could possibly see how it might have some use on a relatively straight alignment with one or two utilities, but our P&P sheets are far too complex, and we'd spend much more time "fighting the system", than just doing it the way we've always done it.

Source: We have used the PPT - that is how we came to the conclusion above.
    We choose not to use them either. They may have a great idea regarding them, however, the restrictions that come with using them are too much.

If I need to adjust the matchlines, I have to remember to allow for this when creating them at the beginning. Otherwise, I'm recreating the sheets one more time with no additional benefit to the project. Clipped viewports work fine.

Depending on the length of the alignment, this may need to be corrected multiple times. Our typical alignments, thankfully, do not span that many sheets. But when they do, I'd rather create the sheets once.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast