Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi-Slope Roof - Roof By Footprint

Login to Give a bone

Default Multi-Slope Roof - Roof By Footprint

Is it possible to have multiple sections with different slopes in a single "roof by footprint" using the slope arrows method? When I try and sketch it I don't know what to do at the ridges and valleys. If I draw a line at the ridge and valley then I get an error message when I try to create the roof saying I can't have lines intersect. If I eliminate the ridge and valley sketch lines then I get an error message saying the bottom end of slope arrows has to be attached to a sketch line. What am I missing? I can build all these roofs as separate pieces but that causes other problems.

Roof Plan Sketch.PNG

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Multi-Slope Roof - Roof By Footprint

Personally I've never tried to use the by foot print option as I'm not happy with the results when doing complex roofs.
    I tend to model them as individual pieces. Either set the slope or make it flat and modify the sub components to get the elevations you want at individual points.
    I posted an example for someone not to long ago.
    There it is. See this post.

Login to Give a bone

What your doing can't be done. Sketch line must be one continuous, unbroken line around perimeter and arrow tails got to start from that boundary edge. But yes, you can have different slopes in one sketch. The "sections" will create themselves. This looks doable as a monolithic construct though, but I'd need more info, especially with regards to the condition at the lower right roof. If you want to post the slopes your are trying to achieve (offset heights at tails and heads would help visualize), I'll give it a quick try. I like a multi-slope challenge. Roof by footprint is my preferred method. The least problematic in the long run.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

That would be pretty simple to do as a flat roof by footprint and using the Shape Editing tools.

Login to Give a bone

Absolutely Steve! That would have been my plan "C". Depends on what we're looking at in Jeffrey's plan view. Could be butterfly roofs coming off a flat roof (the middle rectangular portion) - or, it could be sheds, and a gable (@ lower right). Dunno. My initial thought was butterflies, because I typically see arrow heads oriented towards the high end - but not always. My Plan "B" would be to create two Roof by Footprints, though. Less math involved that way, if you know what I mean (e.g. figuring point/hinge elevations).

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for your input guys. You read the plan correct at the middle roof section is flat and the other roof segments are pitched. I'll try using the flat roof with shape edit tools option. The downside to that as barthbradley points out is the additional math figuring out the slopes. The slope arrows make things pretty easy in that regard. Especially if (when) I have to modify the slope of the irregular roof area as the design develops.

Jeff

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

A little math with a calculator is still a lot easier than the framer has it...

Plus the calculator is "in" Revit...

[sorry that formula should be multiply * , oops]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2015-12-14 at 07:59 AM.

Login to Give a bone

One other thought . . . Is it possible to grab the bottom faces of the 5 roof areas I have defined individually, join them and use them as the basis for a new "roof by face" object?

Jeff

Login to Give a bone

Unless I’m misunderstanding, Roof by Face won’t get you the monolithic construct that I thought was your objective. It’ll give you a bunch of “panels”, for lack of a better description. If you want a single geometry representing all the whole roof design, Steve’s suggestion is the best and probably only way to get there. If those are two sheds and a gable intersecting a flat roof, you can’t get one roof using the Roof by Footprint method. Personally, I’d build 2 roofs using RBF: Sheds and flat for one, and the lower right gable for the other. Also, I’d use a slope arrow for the irregular-shaped roof and “Defines Slope” at the others. That would be my approach.

Thanks for your input, Steve. You point out something that is often overlooked and underutilized: the ability to enter calculation strings. =(good tip!)

Login to Give a bone

Okay, sounds like "roof By Face won't work since I do want a single roof object if at all possible. Perhaps I should back up and provide a sketch of what I think I want to achieve. See below:

Roof Object Section.png

Does the flat roof with shape edit tools still seem like the best option to accomplish this? I don't want to get into having to shape edit ever layer of the roof assembly "sandwich". I just want to establish the structural layer that drives the assembly, and then have the ability to modify the top surface of the insulation layer.

Thanks for your help!

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast