See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transfer custom commands to a new CUI file

Login to Give a bone

Default Transfer custom commands to a new CUI file

Hello, AUGI members.
    I have created hundreds of commands to create a ribbon I can use. Unfortunately, I created these custom commands under the stock (default) ACAD CUI file. My goal is to transfer these custom commands to a new CUI file, because I want to transfer this new custom CUI file to other computers for my co-workers to use. How can I go about moving these from the main source ACAD.CUI file to a custom one, maybe titling it "Custom MP"?
    Thanks in advance!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Transfer custom commands to a new CUI file

Someone else with more experience will likely chime in, but I think this is actually pretty easy.

1. Copy the acad.cuix and rename, or saveas with the new name.
    2. Remove all content that is not specific to your customizations in the new file.
    3. Save
    4. Remove custom content from acad.cuix
    5. Save
    6. Load custom cui as a partial
    7. Edit Workspace as needed

Login to Give a bone

I did as prescribed. I made the new CUI file name "MP Package.cui". When I tried loading that cui into my ACAD.cui (of which I reloaded), I received a dialog saying "Partial customization file cannot have the same Customization Group Name as the main customization File." Suggestions?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Create a new, blank CUIx file, name the group something reasonable (you probably left the copy as "ACAD" when you tried before). Use the CUIx transfer section of the CUI editor to drag your Ribbon tabs and panels to the blank CUIx. There's so much that is already under the ACAD.CUIx removing it all is going to be more work than only moving your content.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

As dgorsman said always start by transferring what you want into a new blank CUIX. If you reference any ACAD icons you need to make a copy of ACAD.dll and rename it to match the name of your new CUIX file.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

See... people with more experience

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

The icons are not stored in the CUIX file. I'm guessing you created them and placed them in your Icon folder. They would need to be copied to your co-workers Icon folder as well.

This thread belongs in http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay....oCAD-CUI-Menus

Login to Give a bone

Thanks, gents. That worked. But I do have another question regarding the CUI files.

Overview: I have created a custom partial CUI file (called "MP.cui") that I have loaded into my ACAD CUI file under the Partial Customization Files in the CUI dialog, of which is pathed on my computer (the C:\ drive). It has custom buttons of blocks, lisps, commands, etc.. All these have been created under the "MP" source, not "ACAD". This CUI file has since been loaded from my co-workers' computers; each of their computers have the original/stock ACAD CUI file pathed through the original/stock folder under "Support", while the MP.cui file has been loaded under their Partial Customization Files in the CUI dialog of which is pathed to our company network (the W:\ drive). It has all the current custom buttons.

Intent: The intent is to have my co-workers continue to utilize this custom ribbon I created, but if I create a new button or edit the arrangement of the ribbon, I want that to reflect on all of my co-workers' computers. Since my MP.cui file is pathed from the C:\ drive (my computer), it would seem all I would have to do is replace the network MP.cui with my MP.cui.

Problems encountered: I have added new buttons, but they do not show on other peoples' computers. For whatever reason though, the command shows in the list of commands in the CUI dialog, but won't show even if they were to try adding it to the ribbon. Even at times while closing and opening AutoCAD, the command would disappear from the list! The new material will only show on my computer.

Is there a step I am missing? What can I do differently?
    If some of this does not make sense, I will try to clarify.
    Thanks in advance.

-Adam

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I keep my custom menus as MNU files and use menuload with the master file on the server, as I am the only one making changes control is kept in hand, as a mnu can be edited with notepad no need to edit within CUI. Once you work out the syntax its easy to add pop ribbon or toolbars and you can copy and paste from the cui.

Step 2 you make a change to a mnu use menuload to unload and reload from server this makes the CUI. Either force a instant load by using menuload on each machine or close Autocad and restart it will find the new cui so its on all. In my case its normally a next day thing as they start work.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Straka04 View Post
    Thanks, gents. That worked. But I do have another question regarding the CUI files.

Overview: I have created a custom partial CUI file (called "MP.cui") that I have loaded into my ACAD CUI file under the Partial Customization Files in the CUI dialog, of which is pathed on my computer (the C:\ drive). It has custom buttons of blocks, lisps, commands, etc.. All these have been created under the "MP" source, not "ACAD". This CUI file has since been loaded from my co-workers' computers; each of their computers have the original/stock ACAD CUI file pathed through the original/stock folder under "Support", while the MP.cui file has been loaded under their Partial Customization Files in the CUI dialog of which is pathed to our company network (the W:\ drive). It has all the current custom buttons.

Intent: The intent is to have my co-workers continue to utilize this custom ribbon I created, but if I create a new button or edit the arrangement of the ribbon, I want that to reflect on all of my co-workers' computers. Since my MP.cui file is pathed from the C:\ drive (my computer), it would seem all I would have to do is replace the network MP.cui with my MP.cui.

Problems encountered: I have added new buttons, but they do not show on other peoples' computers. For whatever reason though, the command shows in the list of commands in the CUI dialog, but won't show even if they were to try adding it to the ribbon. Even at times while closing and opening AutoCAD, the command would disappear from the list! The new material will only show on my computer.

Is there a step I am missing? What can I do differently?
    If some of this does not make sense, I will try to clarify.
    Thanks in advance.

-Adam
    This could be a workspace issue. Active workspace determines which UI elements are shown (Ribbon panels, content; toolbars; etc.). If they make changes to their workspace and don't save it (I always recommend manually saving, rather than automatically saving, workspace settings) then the next time AutoCAD is run the old workspace settings will be used.

I recommend running your own computer the same as everybody else's, complete with partial CUIx files from the network. That will help with diagnosing problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast