Thread: Door Window assembly ADT2004

Login to Give a bone

Default Door Window assembly ADT2004

Hi all,

I am a first timer, thanks for the applause, that really needs some help.

I would like some help with a door window configuration I am trying to model. the config is a standard door immediately adjacent a window which has the same head level as the door but is half the height. IE there is a wall panel immediately below the window.

I have tried inserting a door and then a window immediately next to it, but while this looks ok in plan, when viewed in elevation the wall does all sorts of funny things like shifting some of the masonry in to the window space or showing a solid wall with the door and window sills protruding.

I have also tried putting an opening in the wall but find I cannot fill it with the door and window.

Can any one help as Door/Window styles do not appear to cater for this configuration.

Thanks

Martin UK.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Door Window assembly ADT2004

Hi Martin,

Please note that I have moved this thread form the New User Forum to this one. I believe it would be better served here.

Thx and Welcome to AUGI.

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Door Window assembly ADT2004

Quote Originally Posted by martinvr
    Hi all,

I am a first timer, thanks for the applause, that really needs some help.

I would like some help with a door window configuration I am trying to model. the config is a standard door immediately adjacent a window which has the same head level as the door but is half the height. IE there is a wall panel immediately below the window.

I have tried inserting a door and then a window immediately next to it, but while this looks ok in plan, when viewed in elevation the wall does all sorts of funny things like shifting some of the masonry in to the window space or showing a solid wall with the door and window sills protruding.

I have also tried putting an opening in the wall but find I cannot fill it with the door and window.

Can any one help as Door/Window styles do not appear to cater for this configuration.

Thanks

Martin UK.
    Welcome to the club & I am sorry to hear about those B@st@rd @ss terrorists that keep striking - it really makes me sick. I apologize for not posting a reply sooner, but I've teaching classes for ADT non-stop which leaves me with little time for AUGI.

Have you looked into using a door/window assembly? There is one tool for door window objects on the design palette that uses a standard style, but more styles can be found for these objects in the same location as all other styles content for ADT.

If you want a wall to display immediately below the sidelights of the assembly, you may need to build a custom style to do this. The part below the sidelight would still be part of the assembly, but you would need to configure it so that the panel displayed wall material instead of door or window parts. So, in reality, it's not really a wall below the window, you're just tricking the program to make it appear that way when viewed in the model.

The file I attached should give you an idea of what I'm refering to, I just don't have the time to get into this right now. This at least should give you an idea to start with.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

Hi Steve.
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have only just had a chance to check back with the user group. I had been doing some work on your suggested course but it is a very steep learning course for me as there appear to be a lot of things to pull to gether to achieve that one aim. I had to cheat for that particular project, and thus could not link my elevations to the plan for updates etc. I will have to find a solution to this as it occurs on so many of the designs we do.

Do you think there is any mileage in putting an opening in the wall and fitting an isolated door and window into it. I have tried this but cannot isolate the doors or windows as I was able to in AEC5.1.

Regards Martin.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by martinvr
    Hi Steve.
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have only just had a chance to check back with the user group. I had been doing some work on your suggested course but it is a very steep learning course for me as there appear to be a lot of things to pull to gether to achieve that one aim. I had to cheat for that particular project, and thus could not link my elevations to the plan for updates etc. I will have to find a solution to this as it occurs on so many of the designs we do.

Do you think there is any mileage in putting an opening in the wall and fitting an isolated door and window into it. I have tried this but cannot isolate the doors or windows as I was able to in AEC5.1.

Regards Martin.
    Instead of picking a wall to place a door on, just hit enter & it will allow you to put the door anywhere. You could also try attaching a custom block to the door/window assembly at the bottom/side for the wall panel.

Even if you can't get it to display right in elevation, you can get the majority of it done with the section tool & then block it out & finish up with acad linework. If anything else changes on the rest of the elevation, you can re-cut it & then paste the remaining info where it's changed.

Login to Give a bone

The attached file has two Door/Window Assembly styles with doors and half-height sidelights. The one on the left does not have a profile attached to it, so the wall does not fill in under the sidelight, leaving a void. There is no bottom frame assigned to the assembly. The half-height sidelight was created by assigning a nested grid and setting the mullion in this grid at the desired location of the bottom of the sidelight. Then the bottom infill and frames were removed using an infill override.

The one on the right is a copy of the one on the right, with a profile added, in the exact shape of the outside of the frames/floor line. I left the polyline used to generate the profile in the file. Assigning the profile allows the wall to fill in below the sidelight, but a different profile [and a different Door/Window Assembly style] will be needed for each unique width. ADT will scale the profile to suit other widths, but that will result in the wall not fully infilling under the sidelight, if the width is wider than the profile, or in the loss of some or all of the frame and part of the door below the level of the sidelight if the width is less than the profile.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

I expanded upon the explanation posted above in an article in my blog, if anyone is interested in more details [and illustrations].

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Door Window assembly ADT2004

That is great. I am just going to see what I can do with modifying your examples. THANKS A BUNCH FOR THE HELP.

Login to Give a bone

Please note I have moved this to the Style Management forum.