Thread: Get a pattern from an AutoCAD file!

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Get a pattern from an AutoCAD file!

This does not refer to customizing hatch patterns, but if you have a particular hatch pattern in autocad you want to use in Revit, there is a quick way to load it. In autocad draw a rectangular polyline and fill it with the hatch pattern you want (you may need to adjust the scale of this hatch), save it and import this dwg file into Revit...then explode the dwg. Now this hatch pattern can now be found in the model pattern type of your Fill Patterns in Revit.

I've found this to be helpful when I need a new hatch pattern on the fly.

{edit} This was copied from another THREAD
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2005-09-23 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Copied from another thread

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Get a pattern from an AutoCAD file!

Sorry, i tried to make a pattern in autoCAD, then imported to revit, then exploded it. but i couldn't find it out the same pattern in fill patterns in model or drafting type.
    please let me know where i am going wrong.
    Thank you

Login to Give a bone

Sometimes you have to use a .pat file that was originally created to be a fill pattern import. You can't always rename a .txt file to .pat. To do this, go to your C:\ drive Revit folder Data > revit.pat. You can copy this file, delete everything, and then use it as a container for your new fill pattern .pat file. I was getting syntax errors on import until I did this.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Does your method create Revit model patterns or drafting patterns?

GT

Login to Give a bone

So you want a pat file from that exploded DWG file right?

Here is a little trick (and it works for transferred Revit Files as well)...

1st. Create multiple views using the fill pattern you want the pat file for.
    2nd. Open up one folder for a DWG export location. Open another folder for a copy/paste location.
    3rd. Export the multiple views you setup to the DWG Export location, make sure that you can see the window when its open.
    4th. You will see a DWG file, then PAT files....copy and paste the PAT files to your other location, as they will disappear when the DWG is finalized.
    5th. Open the exported dwg file, either one and highlight the fill pattern you want the PAT file for. The name of the fill pattern should match one of the PAT's you copied.
    6th. Voila! You have your PAT file you can convert to Revit (model or drafting) or make changes to.

So why multiple views when you export? I'm never fast enough for the copy and paste....I can copy but when I paste I get an error that the original is not found. Since the second view uses the same as the first it still finds the original and can paste.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Am I doing this wrong? I have been creating new custom pat files by using the New Custom pattern drop down menu. This way I copy the pat files directly from ACAD patterns into Revit. It works for me.