Thread: New topo above subterranean building

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default New topo above subterranean building

What are people doing to address subterranean vault conditions? Frr example, underground parking that extends a sidewalk or the like. A pad the full extent of the parking makes sense, as indeed this is what will be built. But then I need a new bit of "site" on top of the garage "roof" that only extends down to that roof, and that meets the edge of the cut site correctly, and ideally that I can slope up to the building to create good drainage.

Thanks,
    Gordon

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: New topo above subterranean building

Since you can't have a void in the topography, I would create the topo as you would want it to be, however in section views I would use it as a guide then trace over it with a filled region. You could also try in 2008 grouping the new topo(on top of the building) then turn it into a link, open the link and in that file change the site settings so the hatch only extends down to the top of your building and reload the link. Then make sure the view settings for the link are set to by link, not host.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Login to Give a bone

you can have a void in topo...atleast in Revit 2008...simply use the (in-plan) split surface tool on your topo in the shape of your architecture below, then select it and press delete...presto...void in topo...

All AUGI, all the time Gadget Man's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by michael.compton
    you can have a void in topo...atleast in Revit 2008...simply use the (in-plan) split surface tool on your topo in the shape of your architecture below, then select it and press delete...presto...void in topo...
    Somehow I don't think they had this in mind...
    If I understand correctly, it's more like to have a space surrounded by earth from every side (including the top), like for example, an underground car parking area under a city square park...

Well, if you do not have to show it in a 3-D section, you can use your toposurface with a poche set up to the level of the top of your underground building (so it sits on top of your building and shows correctly in a normal 3-D view) and for a standard 2-D section you can fill your earth pattern around, using Filled Region... see picture 1

However, if you need a 3-D section you do exactly the same, but instead of using a Filled Region (in 3-D it wouldn't work), create an in-place family, of category "Topography", which could be just several joined extrusions with the material set to show earth pattern in cut section... You could "wrap around" your underground structure using as many these "Topography" objects, as needed... But because for some strange reason, in 3-D view the Toposurface poche depth setup doesn't have any effect ( ), I simply (or sometimes not so simply...) model an approximation of a toposurface (again as an in-place family), using a combination of extrusions and voids. It doesn't need to be that accurate - after all, for the accurate shape of toposurface they can always refer to Site Plan and Site Sections... see picture 2 and 4

Of course, if you need both 2-D and 3-D sections, don't bother creating a 2-D section using the first method, just use the second method and show the effects in both views... see picture 3 and 4.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jetisart; 2007-07-28 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Added new pictures

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jetisart View Post
    Somehow I don't think they had this in mind...
    If I understand correctly, it's more like to have a space surrounded by earth from every side (including the top), like for example, an underground car parking area under a city square park...

Well, if you do not have to show it in a 3-D section, you can use your toposurface with a poche set up to the level of the top of your underground building (so it sits on top of your building and shows correctly in a normal 3-D view) and for a standard 2-D section you can fill your earth pattern around, using Filled Region... see picture 1

However, if you need a 3-D section you do exactly the same, but instead of using a Filled Region (in 3-D it wouldn't work), create an in-place family, of category "Topography", which could be just several joined extrusions with the material set to show earth pattern in cut section... You could "wrap around" your underground structure using as many these "Topography" objects, as needed... But because for some strange reason, in 3-D view the Toposurface poche depth setup doesn't have any effect ( ), I simply (or sometimes not so simply...) model an approximation of a toposurface (again as an in-place family), using a combination of extrusions and voids. It doesn't need to be that accurate - after all, for the accurate shape of toposurface they can always refer to Site Plan and Site Sections... see picture 2 and 4

Of course, if you need both 2-D and 3-D sections, don't bother creating a 2-D section using the first method, just use the second method and show the effects in both views... see picture 3 and 4.
    I'm new in REVIT ( 2 months hands on ).

And I will be doing what you just shown on your attached picture on the current tender design I'm working on (in Brunei).

Will you be kind enough to explain this process for us less experience user. Kinda step by step tutorial. Please.