See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NEW BUILD available @ Autodesk

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: NEW BUILD available @ Autodesk

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    I haven't heard one way or the other. Builds seem to be doing the trick for now!
    Builds don't add features, just refinements and bug fixes.
    Since there always has been a point release it would be a bit strange not to have one without saying anything. How would one go about getting a definitive answer on this question? Seems a question that deserves an answer.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    Controllable Temp Dim size....

!

Yeah, real happy IF someone would document how to change them as noted in the Web update file. Not a mention in Help file or Temporary Dimensions command. So what's the magic line to add in the Revit.ini? It's not a listed option and not mentioned in any of the Readme literature etc. Nice command, we just aren't going to tell you how to use it. You've got to guess how and where to adjust and what the command is..
    Last edited by SkiSouth; 2007-08-23 at 02:42 AM.

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The new build is allowing a lot more of the video cards in my office to be able to have OpenGL enabled and open views containing complicated DWG backgrounds... so this is a good news build for us!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by barathd View Post
    Scott:

Pardon me for asking - is there going to be point release?

Regards

Dick Barath

Forgive my ignorance: what is the difference between a point release and a build?
    Do each of those affect my ability to work with others?

For example, I am still using the box-DVD version of RAC2008- did not make time to download the 1st megasized file; did not want to continue upgrading projects; etc. The same rings true today; but , if given good reason I will start the download. Anyone with comment please speak up. thanks.

Login to Give a bone

See Joe's post above.
    Builds are intended as bug fixes & performance improvements. They rarely add new features.
    Point releases tend to add new features, but not as major as the yearly release. My theory is that the point releases are usually features that the Factory hoped to get into the big release, but weren't ready for prime time when the deadlines arrived.

That said, some of the point releases HAVE had some pretty impressive features added. Worksets in 8.1 come to mind - in fact, I think Worksets were introduced in 6.1.

My guess is that 9.1 was the last point release we'll ever see. With 2008, Autodesk changed their release cycle to synchronize the release of all of their products (AutoCAD-based and Revit-based) at the same time. When Revit was young, there were so many major features being introduced, they couldn't wait for a whole year to get them out. Now, as the product matures, a 6-month development cycle just doesn't give them enough time to develop-test-fix-test to maintain a quality product.

Login to Give a bone

New builds don't effect compatibility and address bugs and stability issues. They're practically invisible installs. Point releases are like new versions and loose backward compatibility because they introduce new or different functionality.

Login to Give a bone

Andre,
    thanks. I noticed that this thread refered to the new build as "SP2..." does that mean I need to install a "SP1..." first?

and, just to make sure I understand this: the version I am using is RAC2008, and the build is the one that came with the original launch of the version. Since first released, the Version has now gained two new builds, the 2nd of which came out yesterday?

Revit Product Manager
    Login to Give a bone

Support is currently in the process of creating a solution that explains how to modify the Revit.ini to adjust the size of the temporary dimensions. However, the following are the steps to do so:
    1. Open Revit.ini file in Notepad. The file is typically located in C:\Program Files\Revit Architecture 2008\Program.
    2. Add the following line to Revit.ini in [Graphics] section:
      TempDimFontSizeInPoints=N
      Where N is a number larger than 8 (default hardcoded value). Good starting point is twice the default size (i.e. 16-17).
    3. Save Revit.ini.
    4. Restart Revit. If the size of temporary dimensions is still small, repeat from step 1 with larger number.

Please note, the [Graphics] section may not exist. If this is the case add a line that contains [Graphics].

Revit Product Manager
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
    Andre,
    thanks. I noticed that this thread refered to the new build as "SP2..." does that mean I need to install a "SP1..." first?
    No. This new build contains all of the fixes in the previous build. The builds are not service packs like the AutoCAD products have. They are actually complete installations of Revit Architecture 2008.
    Last edited by scott.latch; 2007-08-23 at 02:46 PM.

Revit Product Manager
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by barathd View Post
    Pardon me for asking - is there going to be point release?
    No. There will not be a point release for Revit Architecture 2008. We have decided to focus our efforts on an annual release schedule.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast