Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inventor Installation

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Inventor Installation

I had to replace my computer and it came with Vista 64 bit OS. I have installed all my AutoDesk products including Inventor. With some minor changes for Architecture 2008 I have them all up and running fine except the Content Center in Inventor. I get errors when I am installing with setup64.exe at the ADMS check list splash screen. I get a failure in the checking ASP status box, requiring an action which says: "ASPX file fiailed to run at URL:http//localhost/TestASP/TestASPNet.aspx". When I try the diagnostic suggestions it does not work. I also get two warnings: "Check IIS contection time out" and that I change to 900; and "Checking for know firewall" which I have Norton and I turn it off. The result is the same. The program loads and works but the Content Center does not. Any suggestions? I have solved the problem when it occurs with XP but cannot seem to get a handle on it with Vista. Since I am an instructor and I need this software I am in need of a solution ASAP. I have done a clean uninstall and reinstalled and the Data Manager didn't load and thus the content center did not load.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Inventor Installation

This all sounds very familiar to me. I had a lot of trouble installing Content Centre and it came down to password strength in the end. The installer will leave a log file at the end of the install and you need to track this down for the error code. See thread "Problem with Content Center " for what worked for me. Also you say you are running setup64.exe and I remember reading somewhere to only run setup.exe to install. The installer determines your system and runs the appropriate exe from there.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Nika,

I just read the other thread that you referred to, but your issue there is in regard to a specific error code which may not relate directly to this problem.

I have just encountered, and hopefully solved, the error messages that the OP has received.

What I had to do was this:

• Right-click 'My Computer' and select 'Manage'.
    • Expand 'Services and Applications'
    • Expand 'Web Service Extensions'
    • Right-click 'ASP.NET v2.0.50727 (32-bit)
    • Under the 'Required Files' tab, select the entry for .NET Framework (probably the only one there) and click the 'Allow' button at the right.

This cleared all the required action items at the test page, from there I just followed the instructions for correcting the warnings. (Be aware, the warning about the Windows Firewall' appears to be a generic one that simply appears whenever Windows Firewall is turned on, as it doesn't go away even after you enable the default web port. So long as you've followed the instructions I think it's safe to ignore that particular warning.

As far as changing the SQL server password, I'd recommend against that unless you specifically get the error message that Nika encountered - in which case it is correct solution.

Hope this helps,...Jon.
    Last edited by jguest; 2008-10-28 at 05:29 AM. Reason: typo
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

- Kristin Wilson, Nintendo, Inc., 1989.

Login to Give a bone

Oops! I didn't mean to imply I had a specific answer. I had many errors and had to work through them one by one. My suggestion was finding the log file (at the end of a long path) at the end of the install and searching on the error code reported there was what worked for me.

Login to Give a bone

No worries, thanks for your input and help. Even though it wasn't the specific solution to the OP's problem, it still helped me find a solution by making me think outside the box.

I'm hoping that twhistler can get back to us soon and tell us whether or not my solution worked for them too, or whether it was fluke on my part.

Unfortunately, I think that the error that we (twhistler and I) encountered occurs before the error log is written, as I couldn't find any trace of it. Can you recall the path to the error log file on your installation?
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Login to Give a bone

I can't find it now but it was at the bottom of a deep folder hole, something like (but not)
    C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Inventor
    The installer gives the address when it fails.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by nika View Post
    I can't find it now but it was at the bottom of a deep folder hole, something like (but not)
    C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Inventor
    The installer gives the address when it fails.
    Thanks, that's what I suspected. The error that twhistler and I encountered happens before any log file is written.

I must admit, though, I often do forget to look at the error logs in the early stages of trying to solve a problem. Things would probably go much quicker if they were my first port of call.

Login to Give a bone

I had some family issues and havn't been able to get back till today. I have been working on this issue for about three weeks. The error that is coming up is as follows:

ASPX file failed to run at URL:http://localhost/TestASP/TestASPNet.aspx

I have been sure that UAC is turned off. I have installed SII 7. I turned off all my security. Even then I get the same listing above. I have loaded it from setup and setup64 as well as setup32. I even downloaded Inventor 2009 and loaded it and got the same error.

I am running out of options to try. It has to be a setting that is not allowing the ADMS to load.

Login to Give a bone

There might be something helpful in one of these links.
    I tried Google results for "ASPX file failed to run at URL:http://localhost/TestASP/TestASPNet.aspx"

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9242018

http://discussion.autodesk.com/forum...sageID=5964470

They both seem to be related to IIS permissions
    Last edited by nika; 2008-11-03 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Incomplete

Login to Give a bone

twhistler - Have you followed my instructions for the third post in this thread

As stated, I had exactly the same problem as you - the solution I posted worked for me, and it is also the same as the solution in the second one of Nika's links.

Nika is right, your problem is most likely IIS permissions related.

Quote Originally Posted by twhistler
    I have been sure that UAC is turned off.
    Turning off UAC is a good idea whilst you get it running, but unless you are an advanced user then I'd probably recommend turning it back on after you have it all sorted though.

I have installed SII 7. I turned off all my security. Even then I get the same listing above. I have loaded it from setup and setup64 as well as setup32.
    Simply "installing" IIS7 is not enough in every case, what you need to do is "configure" it aswell.

I even downloaded Inventor 2009 and loaded it and got the same error.
    Not sure what you mean by this - are you meaning 'reinstalled'? Or did you not have Inventor install on the system that is running the ADMS server?

It is not essentialt to have Inventor on the same system, in fact, in most cases of an install in a corporate environment it would probably be the exception rather than the rule, as the ADMS server app would usually be installed on a dedicated applications server. (That is, dedicated to 'applications', not just to ADMS.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast