Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Revit Launcher

NavisWorks Moderator david.kingham's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit Launcher

DaveB's thread was getting long and confusing with so many different scripts so I thought I would start my own since our versions are becoming fairly unique as well. This is considerably different from the last one I posted previously.

This program is used to create a local file automaticaly, open the file in Revit with the option to Specify worksets, Detach from central, etc.

The Revit Launcher.exe can be placed in the same folder as the central file, but I would recomend putting it in one location on your network.

If you place it on your network you will then need to create a shortcut to this file. After you create the shortcut go to the properties, the target should already be pointing to the location of the Revit Launcher.exe, Start In needs to be the path to the central file, be sure to put quotes around the path.

There can only be one Revit file in this folder.

The name of the central file must be XXXXX #VV Central.rvt, where XXXXX can be anything of any length, # is the discipline
    (A, S or MEP, where the 3 letters in MEP can be expressed in any order) and VV is the version number
    The spaces shown in the filename can be any character you want, including a space.
    So 123456789 Project_A08-Central.rvt would work the same as 123456789-Project-A08_Central.rvt

The following dialog will come up when the shortcut is double clicked.

From here you can select the discipline of Revit you want to use, 64 or 32 bit Revit, if you want to open all worksets (default), Specify Worksets, Detach from central, Only open Revit or Only Create Local File.

If you click on the Advanced tab you can see how much RAM is installed in the machine and the size of the central file.

When you click OK a local file will be created in C:\Revit Local Files\XXXXX Where XXXXX is the first portion of the central files name

The local file will be renamed to remove Central and add the current users username

If a local file already exists it will be moved to C:\Revit Local Files\Archive

If an archive exists it will be moved to the Recycle Bin first

The program automatically opens the correct version of Revit based upon the version number in the filename (works for 2008 and up)

If the central file is named incorrectly or there are more than one Revit files in the folder, or if the correct version/discipline of Revit is not installed a error message will be displayed.

The local file is then opened automatically with whatever workset option you have selected or detaches from central if the option is selected

The warning about copying the local file is automatically dismissed

The worksharing monitor will be automatically opened if it is installed

The program is compatible with XP, XP64, Vista and Vista 64

Currently compatible with Revit Architecture/Structure/MEP 2008/2009 64 and 32 Bit

I will be updating for Revit 2010 when it is released

The script can be terminated at any time by pressing Win+X

You can also change the defaults through the shortcut, for example you can add this to the end of the target in the shortcut: Specify S 09, everytime someone clicks this shortcut now it will default to speficy worksets, open with Revit Structure 2009. On most projects we do not use specify worksets, this is why the default is open all, for large projects I just change the shortcut to specify. Some projects have Architecture and Structure in one file, so I have two shortcuts to open the same file but one opens with arch, the other with structure.

I'm open to any improvements!

UPDATE I have added the ability to change the username in the advanced tab and the script now checks to see if there is a recovery file in the local folder, if there is it gives you the option to open the recovery file or create a new one.

UPDATE 4/20/09 Now works with Revit 2010

UPDATE 6/2/10 Now works with Revit 2011, added function to repair common Revit problems by pressing Ctrl + R when launcher window is open, you can also view a list of variable by pressing Win + V

UPDATE 6/11/10 MAJOR update for 2011, now works with addins!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by david.kingham; 2010-11-15 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Added Info

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Launcher

Thanks a lot DK This looks awesome. I'll be stealing some of your code in the near future to have a GUI option too. What I was thinking (since I'm a fan of just doing the double-click and run with no user input) is to have a "switch" like my "detach" or "worksets" switches, and add a "gui" switch to invoke the GUI mode. I like having it centralized in one location, but I believe with that method I had some sort of issue (I believe I couldn't pass parameters to the script).

I'm currently working on a script to make edits to the ini files. I have it nailed, but I still need to add some more features. This is intended to help fix paths etc. after Revit is installed (like if locations/folders are renamed etc.). I learned a lot about doing string operations which will serve me well for my next project, which is to enhance the build checking so it only notifies a specific user about not being on the latest build the team is on, and then the error goes away automatically when the build is updated, rather than having to delete the txt file manually. I'll share that once I get it done.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Dave, this is only a snippet of my whole script that I actually use, I had to strip a lot out to make it work without any modifications. Here is my production version which has a lot of file setup, registry setup, printer setup, build checking, etc, etc.

I've had no problem running it from a central location even with switches in the shortcut, I have a number of switches for just setting up Revit, setting up for doing training files, just opening Revit....yeah it's awesome

Note to everyone else; use the one in my original post if you want an out of the box solution, this one will require major modification to work in your setting.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

All in all it looks great. I like the new interface, but I have a few questions/ comments.

Currently all 3 disciplines (A, MEP, S) show up regardless of what is installed on the machine. Can you search to see what is installed and then filter the list based on that. The same is true for 32/ 64 bit. If you are on a 32 bit machine then only 32 comes up but if you are on a 64 bit machine both come up regardless of what is actually installed. It would be nice if the only options were what was actually installed on the computer rather than everything.

Does the A variable (A09) actually do anything anymore? When 10 comes out will I have the option of opening in 09 or 10 or does the script hard code what release to open and just give the option of what flavor?

Also generally I don't want people changing their user name. Does this script still blank out the user name line in the .ini file or does it rely solely on the user input (once I change it to Bob, am I always Bob or does it default back to nkramer on the next run). Can you put the user name in a different tab or password protect it in some way so that most people don't have access to it.

In general people are afraid of change. I like the new interface but in some ways it has to many options. I was thinking something more along the lines of a first tab that uses the A09 switch to predetermine what app should be opened with the only user input as to how to open (all worksets, selected worksets, etc) and then put all of the other options on the advanced tab.

I will look into some of my own questions over the break. I know how to password protect something but generally my knowledge of AHK is limited to reverse engineering...

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated; otherwise I will see what I cahn put together over the holidays.

Nick

Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: Revit Launcher

I am using Vista x64 Business and I am getting an error when I try to use it. I have both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Revit installed in the default location but I get the same error when I try to open a file using both options. I attached the error box. Also, the 32/64 drop down only has 32 and then a blank slection.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

I think it's a problem with your shortcut, make sure you put quotes around the paths. If there is space in the path it will consider the rest a variable.

Login to Give a bone

Nick, I worked on this for awhile and am getting close, it's a bit challenging and I'm not sure if everything you want is possible but I'm trying.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david.kingham View Post
    Nick, I worked on this for awhile and am getting close, it's a bit challenging and I'm not sure if everything you want is possible but I'm trying.
    Thanks. I realize that it may not all be possible, but as I am not very versed in AHK it is hard to know what will and will not work....

I am working on a few things myself, but yours may be more streamlined than mine...

Nick

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the script.
    Most our projects setup with more than one central files, is that possible to add the feature to select which central file you want to open to make a local file.
    Thanks, Tobin

Login to Give a bone

Hello,
    thank you for your script. we're attempting to get it working but are receiving the same error message as noted above; "revit not installed".

i have placed 'Revit Launcher.exe' in the server folder of the revit file. then made the required shortcut on my desktop to the program. my path in the 'start in' has the necessary quotes.

the name of my file central file is called '070-072_ma_m_central.rvt'

we're running Revit MEP 2009 64bit on vista 64 bit machines.

your help is greatly appreciated.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast