Thread: Datalink formatting

Login to Give a bone

Default Datalink formatting

I am wondering if anyone here has found a solution to the problems the "Datalink" command has with formatting. In searching the forums here it seems to be a limitation with the software. We have several Excel tables linked into AutoCAD with the datalink command, and even doing simple things like adding a few rows in the Excel file seems to throw the formatting off in the updated table in AutoCAD. Let alone more complicated formatting changes. This makes the command all but useless, since it is easier to re-link the file than make all the necessary changes in AutoCAD. And then we might as well be using OLE. Has anyone solved this issue? Does AutoCAD 2010 fix these formatting issues? Thanks for any help.

Steve Blackburn
    Frost Engineering
    Last edited by sblackburn; 2009-04-10 at 04:17 PM.

All AUGI, all the time Capt. Computer Crasher's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Datalink formatting

Quote Originally Posted by sblackburn View Post
    I am wondering if anyone here has found a solution to the problems the "Datalink" command has with formatting. In searching the forums here it seems to be a limitation with the software. We have several Excel tables linked into AutoCAD with the datalink command, and even doing simple things like adding a few rows in the Excel file seems to throw the formatting off in the updated table in AutoCAD. Let alone more complicated formatting changes. This makes the command all but useless, since it is easier to re-link the file than make all the necessary changes in AutoCAD. And then we might as well be using OLE. Has anyone solved this issue? Does AutoCAD 2010 fix these formatting issues? Thanks for any help.

Steve Blackburn
    Frost Engineering
    When you datalink the Excel files what cell formating are you using? Is the Excel formatting checked or unchecked? Depending on the setting determines when it updates whether or not it returns to the Excel formatting or stays with table style.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks - looks like that is the ticket. I just need to figure out now whether that can be changed after I've set up the datalinks or if the links need to be set up from scratch again.

All AUGI, all the time Capt. Computer Crasher's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sblackburn View Post
    Thanks - looks like that is the ticket. I just need to figure out now whether that can be changed after I've set up the datalinks or if the links need to be set up from scratch again.
    it can be changed at anytime then update the link.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

To change after the link's created, open the data link manager (Tools -->Data Links-->Data Link Manager ... OR right-click the icon in the status bar (bottom right) then choose Data Links). From the dialog right-click on the Excel Data link, select Edit..., wait for it ... wait some more ... ... wait a bit longer ... ahhh finally the Modify Excel Link dialog shows. If you can't see the Cell Formatting group on the right, click the arrow button (bottom right). Check the "Use Excel Formatting", and the "Keep table updated to Excel formatting". OK out of both Dialogs. Finally Tools-->Data Links-->Update Data Links ... and type K for All , or of course simply right-click the link icon again & select "Update All Data Links".

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the post. This was what I was looking for. What great help runing us through the whole process.

Login to Give a bone

Hey,

Sblackburn it is a software limitation. When I put in a ticket with Autodesk they switched the ticket from Q&A to development department. Hopefully we will see it in an updated version.