PDA

View Full Version : Revit 2010 display performance better than 2009, but not 2008

Wes Macaulay
2009-04-23, 03:37 PM
The new DirectX 9 display system in Revit is getting us improvements over 2009, but we would still say that the OpenGL 1.4 (or 1.3? can't recall) acceleration in 2008 was faster than what we have today.

I'm always amazed that Reviteers (who I would think work in 3D as often as our office does) here on AUGI aren't as ramped up about fast display as our office is. We absolutely hated how slow 2009 was, in ortho views and 3D. When you're panning in a plan, or spinning while adding soffits in 3D, speed is everything. Even the UI becomes secondary ;-) When I asked our staff about upgrading, the first thing they asked is, Is it Faster? And I said yes, but what about the UI? They said, Stuff the UI, we want the speed.

So now they're figuring out where all the tools are :mrgreen:

So from Site Lines, the order is More speed, please!

davidwlight
2009-04-23, 03:42 PM
Couldn't agree more!!! Fast speedy 3d graphics is essential; ask any sketchup or max user who jumps to Revit and you will hear them complain how slow Revit seems in 3d. 2010 is a move in the right direction.....but I would really like to seem Autodesk commit to supported graphics cards like we have in AutoCAD, Inventor, 3dsmax......;)

ahauck
2009-04-23, 11:00 PM
Hi folks.

Thanks for recognizing the performance improvements in 2010. The Revit Platform team is as intent on seeing performance improvements as you are. I have daily discussions throughout the Revit team about tuning the applications to deliver the kind of smooth reaction and update experience you'd like to see.

Our work in 2010 was just the beginning of what we'd like to do on this front. We see this release as a robust foundation for future gains.

We understand there's a lot of discussion around the new release, so Nicloas Mangon, our Building Industry Director, has written about the larger story behind Revit 2010 on the Inside the Factory blog:

http://insidethefactory.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/04/a-message-from-the-autodesk-building-industry-director-about-the-revit-2010-release.html

I'll also be spending some more time on the forums to answer questions and take comments.

Thanks,
Anthony

Anthony A. Hauck
Revit Platform Product Manager

Jun Austria
2009-04-24, 12:33 AM
I wish I can rejoice. Speed performance during walk degrade when you have a big file. I cannot do a smooth "walk" on a complex models ( this is only 30MB file only ).