PDA

View Full Version : Roof Problems! HELP!

rgecy
2003-08-29, 05:44 PM
I am trying to create and join 2 gables to the existing roof and I keep getting "cannot make footprint". I have included the file below and the roof line I am trying to achieve. The roof is an 8/12. I keep having problems creating a gable roof where two gables join at a corner. I was able to fudge a little by creating a tiny slope defing line down in the corner to help create the main front gable, but I could not get the smaller gable to join! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

stitch1778
2003-08-29, 08:38 PM
i posted your file with a reworked roof
hope its what your looking for

rgecy
2003-08-30, 04:35 AM
Stitch,
I did not see any changes to the file when I downloaded it. Maybe my system is messing up but could you check again for me.

Thanks,
Robert

Wes Macaulay
2003-08-30, 03:55 PM
Judging from the filename, I suspect Stich sent the backup file back to the forum!

Here's the roof you want - I deleted everything else to keep the upload light.

I got the same message about the gables not wanting to join the main roof. Revit sometimes will not join roofs whose footprints overlap, as these two did: so I pulled back the main roof footprint just in the area where the gables are, joined the roofs, then edited the main roof footprint to follow the valley lines created by the roof join. Voila.

maxxue1756
2003-08-31, 01:54 PM
How about this!

e.wee1790
2003-09-01, 05:40 AM
Speaking of roofs... I am working on a townhouse with 2 roofs at the same level. Revit does not allow sketching roof lines with 2 loops. This is what it says 'This sketch defines more than one footprint. Make sure the sketch contains only one outermost loop and that there are no loops inside inner loops.' . I am wondering if there's a way around this or should I create 2 levels, one for each roof? :?:

beegee
2003-09-01, 06:38 AM
Speaking of roofs... I am working on a townhouse with 2 roofs at the same level. Revit does not allow sketching roof lines with 2 loops. This is what it says 'This sketch defines more than one footprint. Make sure the sketch contains only one outermost loop and that there are no loops inside inner loops.' . I am wondering if there's a way around this or should I create 2 levels, one for each roof? :?:

If the roofs are actually at different pitching points, but joined, then yes, create a level for each roof, then create the 2 roofs separately. After you have created the roofs, use the join geometry tool ( Not the join roof tool ) to join them.

If they are at the same pitching points, just create one then the other. Then join them if that's what is required.

If thats not clear, or not what you are asking, post an image of the roofs.

e.wee1790
2003-09-01, 07:11 AM
Initially I was in haste, creating 2 flat roofs at the same level in one go. It can't work. Creating one after another as beegee suggested did work. Thanks beegee... still working on the documentation concept of Revit.

ps: Also thanks for the earlier tips on resizing crop region of viewport for printing, although I am still struggling to change the text size of the 'level' annotations... ta! :oops:

beegee
2003-09-01, 07:25 AM
ps: Also thanks for the earlier tips on resizing crop region of viewport for printing, although I am still struggling to change the text size of the 'level' annotations... ta! :oops:

Working in the family for the level head, go to the properities for the text, edit and you will see a parameter for the text size. Change that, save the family,load/ reload the family into the project.