PDA

View Full Version : Massing on a small scale

mmiles
2009-04-24, 09:23 PM
So I have been experimented with making more detailed massing families during the early schematic design phase for single family house designs. Our firm jumps very quickly into the desired finished look of the projects we work on, yet, we also make tons of design changes before really establishing a Design Development phase.

So far, our transition to Revit has been met with frustration because the drafted elevations we typically make look more "detailed" and "elegant" and "with chararcter" than the modeling allows (this is especially true for Newbies - of which most users in our firm are).

My idea is to shape the house forms by cutting away at a solid, and then placing massing families to that (i.e. dormers, bay windows, projected stone surrounds, etc.). by including model line work in some of those families, the so-called character can be addressed in the early phases of a project. However, I am questioning my logic and would love to get input from others about this idea. So, please, tell me what you think, or even better, describe how you do this. thanks.

Joef
2009-04-25, 01:20 AM
Some examples might help us to understand the problem better. What kind of detail is missing? I find Revit often has too much detail.