PDA

View Full Version : RAC2010 What would you do?

nsinha73
2009-04-27, 04:23 PM
After seeing so many threads on glitches on RAC2010, we are a little hesitant to make our move to RAC2010.
Should we wait for RAC2011?.........what is your opinion?
Lest if there is a positive side as well.

Brian Myers
2009-04-27, 05:00 PM
There is an ol' rule of thumb for AutoCAD that applies to Revit as well. That rule is that you should never install the software until the first service pack comes out.

The people here like to jump in and try stuff out. They'll tell you great information, such as what works great and what doesn't work great and what is just plain terrible. Certain individuals complain very loud, others sing the praises all year long. My own take is if you wait until the first service pack (update) comes out, typically 2-3 months later, the initial gut reaction has worn off, work-arounds have been formed, processes will be better defined, and the software will just be more stable.

Unless there is a vital business need to upgrade, I would wait until that first "fix" is released to the public, then make your move. This will also give your reseller and people on AUGI more time to learn the product too and give you better advice. The technical staff's for the Autodesk resellers have not even gotten training on the software yet (that comes next month), they are talking to customers and reading blogs/forums just like you in order to find answers. Autodesk themselves are still discovering issues every day as customers submit them... but this happens every year too and not just in this release. So my sage advise is to be patient and wait. Ultimately I would install the software, but rarely is there ever a good reason to do it immediately after receiving it unless its to try it before rolling it out to the rest of your staff.

Good luck!

twiceroadsfool
2009-04-27, 06:28 PM
We had this discussion this morning... And were going ahead with 2010 as soon as the discs arrive.

We have a few brand new users just getting in to Revit for the first time, and it doesnt make any sense to show them 2009 just to pull the rug out with a brand new interface in a year. We are- of course- making sure we dont have any negative hardware compatibility effects yet.

The projects we have underway in 2009 will likely remain that way, but that remains to be seen until we sit down with all the consultants working on the job as well.

Gadget Man
2009-04-28, 08:37 AM
We had this discussion this morning... And were going ahead with 2010 as soon as the discs arrive.

We have a few brand new users just getting in to Revit for the first time, and it doesnt make any sense to show them 2009 just to pull the rug out with a brand new interface in a year. We are- of course- making sure we dont have any negative hardware compatibility effects yet.

The projects we have underway in 2009 will likely remain that way, but that remains to be seen until we sit down with all the consultants working on the job as well.

IMHO this is the most sensible approach.

clog boy
2009-04-28, 09:43 AM
We will definitely upgrade, and hope to be fully migrated by the time the first service pack comes available. And with 'fully migrated' I mean the majority of the work being done in 2010 and everyone being used to it. The quicker we jump onboard, the better we'll be able to benefit from actual real improvements.

still.james
2009-04-28, 10:43 AM
i havent upgraded yet at work, but i think when the disc arrives temptation will make me do it.

Andrew Dobson
2009-04-28, 10:47 AM
There are currently serious issues with printing to PDF with 2010, particulalry on quad core PCs. I would recommend thoroughly testing this before upgrading an entire office/company to 2010.

greg.gebert978266
2009-04-28, 12:22 PM
There are currently serious issues with printing to PDF with 2010, particulalry on quad core PCs. I would recommend thoroughly testing this before upgrading an entire office/company to 2010.

What has been happening when printing PDF's on a quad core pc? Has anyone noticed any issues with the 64-bit version?

clog boy
2009-04-28, 12:24 PM
What has been happening when printing PDF's on a quad core pc? Has anyone noticed any issues with the 64-bit version?

Not with CutePDF (yet).
EDIT: not using 64 bit.

Andrew Dobson
2009-04-28, 01:12 PM

This thread goes into it in more detail.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=100174

I have problems with RAC2010 on WIndows Xp 32-bit with quad core, but it also seems to be a problem on Vista 64-bit if you have a quad core.

It is ok with dual core computers for us.

clog boy
2009-04-28, 01:37 PM
This thread goes into it in more detail.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=100174

I have problems with RAC2010 on WIndows Xp 32-bit with quad core, but it also seems to be a problem on Vista 64-bit if you have a quad core.

It is ok with dual core computers for us.

In that thread another user confirmed errors while printing to PDF with CutePDF on a 64 bit quadcore. I deleted my message in that thread.

jcoe
2009-04-28, 05:42 PM
I have upgraded two out of three buildings in one of our projects to 2010 and have not encountered any crashes or surprising error messages as yet. I cannot speak to the pdf plotting, because I have not needed to plot since the upgrades last week. The buildings I upgraded both have worksharing enabled - no issues.

The philosophy I have taken with Revit over the years is to upgrade the youngest projects (those that are in SD, DD). This way if things do go awry, you have some time to recover. You definitely do not want to upgrade a project that is mission critical.

As far as waiting to upgrade until the first service pack is release, I still use this method for AutoCAD, but I have found it unnecessary with Revit. Revit seems to be a much more stable software.

One thing to be aware of in this release, aside from the Ribbon, is that some of the commands have been renamed. A perfect example is the new "Synchronize" button - aka "Save to Central." The tools that were renamed do not seem to be part of any publication I have seen, so you may struggle to find some of the tools at first.

jeffh
2009-04-28, 07:43 PM
One thing to be aware of in this release, aside from the Ribbon, is that some of the commands have been renamed. A perfect example is the new "Synchronize" button - aka "Save to Central." The tools that were renamed do not seem to be part of any publication I have seen, so you may struggle to find some of the tools at first.

The "Where is My Command" document (avaliable from infocenter/help) May help in locating some of these kinds of commands.