PDA

View Full Version : Weird Bricks

Grumple
2009-04-28, 01:44 PM
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me why the bricks in this picture are doing what they're doing???

The 'column' has been made by using a thick wall, cutting the arch profiles out, and then using in-place voids to 'chamfer' the edges...

Thanks

clog boy
2009-04-28, 01:58 PM
A surface pattern should be added to the material, for instance horizontal lines or a brick pattern. According to my research, the origin and direction of the material are taken from the surface pattern. So aligning the surface pattern to a favorable starting point might help make your model more lifelike.

It was only after great research that I got some clues on this topic, but it has been discussed before on AUGI.

Grumple
2009-04-28, 02:37 PM
Thanks for that clog boy...

In normal model view, the face where the bricks are showing the wrong way round is actually shaded blank with no surface pattern. I dont see how I can change that because it is simply a wall, with a brick pattern already built in... It just doesn't want to add the pattern to the faces exposed by the voids...

Sorry if that sounds confusing!

patricks
2009-04-28, 02:49 PM
You will have to paint the cut surfaces using the paint bucket tool. Then rotate/align the pattern as needed.

If this is a column family, you will have to get the pattern oriented correctly within the family editor. You can't alter model patterns on families while in the project, which is unfortunate.

Grumple
2009-04-28, 03:10 PM
Awesome!

Thanks Patricks, again...

It is actually a wall with arches cut into it.

Thanks again :)