PDA

View Full Version : Railing Height - Doesn't Match with Properties

lhanyok
2009-04-28, 02:27 PM
I'm usually capable of completing a simple stair and handrail, but for some reason, in this project my railings are higher than they should be and for the life of me I can't figure out why.

Both the handrail and the guardrail are about 4 1/2" higher than I would like - I've checked through the railing properties and the railing sketch, and everything seems to be fine. I've attached the stair and railing if anyone would like to take a look.

patricks
2009-04-28, 02:46 PM
The reported height is correct. Rail heights on stairs are always dimensioned from the tread nosing. In the example you posted, since the nosing is rounded, it measures from an imaginary point of the intersection of the tread surface and a vertical plane at the outer-most end of the tread nosing. From that point to the top of your guard rail is 3' - 6" just as it should be. The handrail is also 2' - 10" from the tread nosing, just as it should be.

To get the rails to the proper height above the floor/landings, the rail must extend at least one tread depth beyond the lowest riser.

cporter.207875
2009-04-28, 02:47 PM
When I looked at the file, both rails are at the height specified in the railing properties. Not sure what the problem is.