PDA

View Full Version : Revit, Vista 64 and IE8

dbaldacchino
2009-04-29, 01:53 PM
Hi all,

On my laptop running Vista Enterprise (64 bit), Revit 2009 (all 3 verticals) and RAC2010, and the released version of Internet Explorer 8, Revit crashes consistently. Let me explain.

Revit 2009 platform: Clicking anywhere in the Recent Files window causes an Unrecoverable Error and associated crash.
RAC2010: Switching from a project window to the Recent Fies window through Ctrl + TAB will either lock up Revit or cause an Unrecoverable Error and associated crash (multiple crash reports have been sent to Autodesk).Uninstalling IE8 cures the problem. I have not had this issue with IE8 Beta. Can anyone else verify this behavior?

ws
2009-04-29, 04:55 PM
yes, I posted something about it earlier somewhere hereabouts.

I made it go away by just rebooting several times and turning off and on the machines (it happened on both my Vista 64 PCs which was very scary).

btrusty
2009-04-29, 04:57 PM
and this is why companies should not use IE as a backend.

it is broken
it does not use standards (web standards)
and every version renders the same thing differently

dbaldacchino
2009-04-29, 05:13 PM
William, I've had the issue on 2009 for several weeks, so rebooting didn't cure my problem! So now you're running IE8 just fine without the issues I listed? I wonder if we're using the same version (not sure if there are differences between UK/US versions of Revit and/or IE8 ). This is so frustrating! It took me a while to figure it out. I must have missed your post.

ws
2009-04-29, 06:59 PM
I often still get crashes if I start RAC 2009, but the crashes happen when I click on a file in the recent files list but NOT when I open the project via File->Open...

I wondered if the recent files list uses some IE functionality like the Help system does?

It isn't every time - sometimes the recent files link will open but mostly it crashes, however opening from the File Open icon seems OK every time so far.

/later..
on further testing, my crashes on opening files in RAC 2009 on both Vista 64 quad core machines happen if I start RAC 2010 then start 2009...
Still trying to work out the logic of it though...

dbaldacchino
2009-04-29, 08:25 PM
I often still get crashes if I start RAC 2009, but the crashes happen when I click on a file in the recent files list but NOT when I open the project via File->Open...

That's exactly the behavior I see in 2009. Even if I simply click on a white space in the window! In 2010, it works fine (clicking on empty space or opening a recent family/project), but if I Ctrl+Tab from project to Recent Files window, it crashes. I opened a Support Request and we'll see what they tell me :)

dbaldacchino
2009-04-29, 08:53 PM
Heard back. BTW, Autodesk Support seems to be more expedient. I know I've griped about response time in the past, but it seems to be back to good standards. Thumbs up!

"Thank you for choosing Autodesk Support.

Internet Explorer 8 is not recommended to be installed when used with Revit 2009 64 bit. There is a known issue with the recent files screen. The Recent Files menu is an HTML based window and uses Internet Explorer and has not been designed to be used with IE8.

IE8 is also not recommended to be used with Revit 2010 as it has not been designed or tested with it. The same problem does not exist with the recent files screen in the same way but it is apparent that if you have the recent files window up and TAB+CTRL between your windows while using 64 bits and IE8 it will crash. You can use IE8 if you do not have the recent files window open."

ws
2009-04-29, 08:58 PM
Nice one ;)

What a good day for discovering the reasons for problems...

:beer:

Rick Moore
2009-04-29, 11:12 PM
IE8 is also not recommended to be used with Revit 2010 as it has not been designed or tested with it. The same problem does not exist with the recent files screen in the same way but it is apparent that if you have the recent files window up and TAB+CTRL between your windows while using 64 bits and IE8 it will crash. You can use IE8 if you do not have the recent files window open."
FYI, this problem doesn't happen using Windows 7 64 bit and Revit 2010. Windows 7 only uses IE8.

dbaldacchino
2009-04-29, 11:20 PM
So it's really VISTA 64 eh? :)

BomberAIA
2009-04-30, 11:55 AM
now that I have used 2010 64 on Vista 64 for on a project, I am very disappointed. It crashes all the time and for the first time in years I got a blue screen. This is starting to remind me of AutoCad 13. How can AutoDesk release a screwed up version, wasting my time. Every minute I spend crashing and looking for the command I need, I'm loosing money. I think I'm going back to 2009.

dbaldacchino
2009-04-30, 01:22 PM
Never got bluescreened because of Revit. I suspect video card issues (could be the RAM too). The current laptop I have has been exchanged because Dell couldn't figure out why it used to lock up and bluescreen. They changed everything...hard drive, mother board, video card, to no avail. The RAM was the only thing that wasn't replaced and they finally changed the whole thing. We did run several diagnostics on RAM which revealed no apparent trouble. But anyway...this thread is about IE8 and Revit 64 ;)

ijnicholas
2009-04-30, 08:25 PM
We have the same issue too. David's blog (http://do-u-revit.blogspot.com/2009/04/revit-64-bit-dont-use-ie8.html)talked about the same thing...
Thanks for sharing ADSK communication. This saved us from filing a support request! (filed the bug report tho!)

kurthompson
2009-05-21, 02:43 PM
Go 32bit! This may be the only advantage to having a 32bit Vista install...

dbaldacchino
2009-06-11, 05:57 PM
That might be a plug to temporarily solve the problem, but it's not a good long term solution as most are headed towards 64 bit OSs.

brenehan
2010-03-05, 08:01 AM
Hi guys

Does anyone have much experience with IE8, Revit 2010/2009 and Windows 7?

Does it cause the same problems as mentioned above?
Thanks
Brian

ws
2010-03-05, 08:40 AM
No problems recently with IE8, Win 7 64 bit and RAC 2010 - or at least nothing I can directly attribute to IE8.

Years ago I was told by a Revit trainer to avoid add-ins to IE, which are often added automatically - like PDF and activeX controls - as IE is used by Revit for the Help system among other things and to this end my cad PC is as 'clean' as possible but I've not seen any Revit problems for ages since I stuck to using the 2009 UI.

ron.sanpedro
2010-03-06, 12:28 AM
Hi guys

Thanks
Brian

We have Windows 7 x64, IE8 and RAC 2009/2010, and thus far I have not seen any similar issues. Admittedly I close IE as soon as I boot (it comes up automatically with the office Intranet loaded) and use Chrome for daily browsing tasks. But some days I end up with an IE8 window open too, and as I said, so far no issues. And most everyone else just grits their teeth and uses IE, and no reports of crashing from staff either.

Vista: just is like banging your head against a brick wall, it feels so good when you stop. ;)

Gordon

matt354598
2010-03-06, 01:32 PM
Hi guys

Thanks
Brian
I had abandoned Vista as soon as Windows 7 hit the first public beta, and could not be happier. I haven't seen any issues with the Recent Files menu in 2010 (other than normal - it is slow and has a very twitchy feel with the mouse), but have not tested this on 2009.