PDA

View Full Version : Beginner's Query - Wall core

rubidge
2004-10-27, 07:30 PM
Hi,

Please excuse a very basic question:

I want to create a very simple cavity wall. The layers work like this: 15mm external render, 110mm brick, 50mm cavity void, 110mm brick and 15mm internal render.

The only component which does not wrap at openings is the cavity, so this must be the core. Problem is, I want to insert the wall by the outer faces of the brick (not the finish), so that must be the core. Also, I want dimensioning to prefer the outer faces of the brick.

How do I resolve this?

Thanks

christo4robin
2004-10-27, 07:54 PM
Keep both wythes of brick and the cavity inside the core. Only put the internal and exterior finish outside of the core boundary. When you invoke the wall command, look at the options bar - you'll notice a drop down where you can select the location line of the wall (core face exterior is the selection I would guess you are after). You can also change the location line of a wall after it has been placed (in the properties box).

Hope that helps.

rubidge
2004-10-28, 05:36 AM
Thanks Chris, but...

That is what I had tried. Problem is that the _brick_ does not wrap at openings because it is part of the core. When I edit the assembly there is no option to wrap the elements in the core. What am I missing?

Keep both wythes of brick and the cavity inside the core.

Thanks,

shaunv68276
2004-10-28, 09:12 AM
Lloyd
Only elements place outside the core boundaries have the ability to wrap.
Use the move down or up, options in the edit wall structure to move to the outside of the core.
you also have a tick box which switches of wraps once outside the core boundary.
then you need to change the wrap at inserts (windows doors) option to both & the wrap at ends to exterior. Should work. When dimensioning change the dim preference on the bar across the top to " prefer wall Faces " If all else fails in, rest your mouse and use the tab key to filter through selections.

christo4robin
2004-10-28, 02:45 PM
I didn't read your initial post carefully. Now I understand your problem. It seems to me that you have found a weakness. One workaround...

1. Make your wall type with the cavity in the core, one brick wythe exterior and outside of the core and the other interior and outside of the core. Leave your interior and exterior finish out of the assembly at this stage.
2. Draw all of your walls using the location line set to finish face exterior.
3. Using the project browser, scroll down to families, then walls, then your brick wall. Right click on it and select all instances. Then click on properties and, in one shot, change the location line to be center of core. (Note the walls will stay put in the drawing).
4. Now edit the structure of the wall to add the interior and exterior finish and everything will be as you intend.

That should do it.

rubidge
2004-10-28, 07:18 PM
Thanks guys, I thought it was me.

Its a pity that the wall type I use most requires a work-around. I guess that my best bet is to use Christopher's suggestion and draw all the walls without finish and change it later.

If I put something up against the wall (a toilet fixed to the wall or a table pushed against the wall), what will happen when I add the extra 15mm layer of finish.

christo4robin
2004-10-28, 07:26 PM
If it is a wall based family, it will stay with the wall face. If it is a generic family that is simply close to the wall, you'll have to move it manually.

Cheers!