PDA

View Full Version : Turn off "Overlay" setting to improve performance

narlee
2004-10-27, 06:32 PM
Yep, it is. It doesn't appear to be a "graphics" thing, as it takes some time just to get a reaction from things like clicking "Component"........................finally the "Create" & "Load" buttons come up.

I suspect 7.1 will address this and bugs that we find.

Geof Narlee.

hand471037
2004-10-27, 06:45 PM
But I've noticed that it's faster at other things than 6.1, like the files I've got that have tons of linked files within them seem to be better...

I'm not finding it slower. Have you tried tuning off the 'overlay' feature within the graphics settings? Maybe it's something with your video card and such...

sfaust
2004-10-27, 07:22 PM
When I first loaded it was definitely slower, especially with shadows, but I turned on OpenGL acceleration in the same tab and made sure hardware acceleration was on for the computer, and it works very smooth and quick now...

Wes Macaulay
2004-10-27, 07:37 PM
The OpenGL overlay planes feature must only work on certain cards -- none of the ones I work on seem to like that setting turned on.

Henry D
2004-10-27, 07:39 PM
Huge difference for me when I unchecked "using overlay planes to improve performance" and checked "Open GL acceleration" ...way faster now.

BillyGrey
2004-10-27, 07:44 PM
I am having startup lag (I think) but my perormance overall has been fine.
However, I expect delays when shadows are on (it happens in SU, (bye SU)), but
Steve is correct.

Once I turned on OpenGL, and cranked up hardware acceleration in my graphics card settings, even with shadows on refresh times are negligable. Now I'm smokin'....

Thanks Steve!