PDA

View Full Version : Subscribe or Buy?

fernandez
2009-04-30, 06:34 PM
My firm recently switched over from pure, old-school Autocad (I'm talking AutoCAD2000 here, people) to Revit. We tried out a one-year subscription beginning with Revit 2009, and have yet to install the new 2010 version.

The firm is wondering whether to renew our subscription or simply buy the latest versions of the software whenever we feel like upgrading. It sounds overwhelmingly like people are on a subscription service . . .am I right?

Anyone have any compelling reasons for buying over subscribing?

twiceroadsfool
2009-04-30, 06:46 PM
Contrary to all the negativity surrounding the new release, subscribing really is your only option if you want to collaborate with any other consultants. Unless, of course, you can convince them to always stay on the same upgrade cycle as you.

For me, the features that weve gotten over the years have been worth the cost.

bcgatti
2009-04-30, 06:47 PM
If you poke around the Revit Groups (and even the AutoCAD groups) you'll find numerous threads that debate this exact subject.

Paul Monsef
2009-04-30, 07:33 PM
Assuming A2k was released in 1999 you saved 10 years of subscription fees, which at today's rates ($450/yr) would be $4,500 or roughly the same as purchasing AutoCAD 2010 brand spankin' new ($4,445).

They always get you in the end. No pun intended.