PDA

View Full Version : RAC 2010 tutorials

dbaldacchino
2009-05-01, 11:22 PM
I downloaded the 2010 tutorials and followed the instructions to install the chm file. For some reason it says you have to extract them to the desktop first for Vista, and then copy maually to the Revit Program folder. I tried this but they're still not working (Vista Enterprise 64). I also tried extracting directly to the Program folder but the help has errors (see attached). Anyone else running into this? This is really annoying and should be part of the install. Can it be deployed to all users or do we have to install machine by machine?

Andre Carvalho
2009-05-02, 01:49 AM
Dave,

I downloaded the RAC tutorials for Revit 2010 and it worked fine. I didn't follow their instructions though. I just extracted the files under a folder called Andre in my drive C and later moved the files to C:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2010\Program and replaced the files that were there (I had to close Revit to do that).

I have Windows Vista ( running with the latest IE8 )

Andre Carvalho

dbaldacchino
2009-05-02, 01:59 AM
Are you running 64 bit?

Andre Carvalho
2009-05-02, 04:27 AM
Are you running 64 bit?

Yep. RAC 2010 64bit and Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.

Andre Carvalho

ws
2009-05-02, 08:29 AM
There are recent posts on this.

Unless you have found a new problem...

The problem I found was that the downloaded files need to be unblocked by right clicking on them and clicking the Unblock button next to 'security'.

It is easier to unblock each compressed file rather than do it later.

It may be something to do with Protected Mode being turned on in IE.

See this thread which also links back to the original thread:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=100447

Andre Carvalho
2009-05-02, 03:44 PM
There are recent posts on this.

Unless you have found a new problem...

The problem I found was that the downloaded files need to be unblocked by right clicking on them and clicking the Unblock button next to 'security'.

It is easier to unblock each compressed file rather than do it later.

It may be something to do with Protected Mode being turned on in IE.

See this thread which also links back to the original thread:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=100447

William,

I didn't have to do that. Actually, when I went to download the files, instead of downloading and saving them, I selected "Open" (so it download and run without having to save the ZIP files). Once it finished downloading and opened the dialog box to extract, I extracted them under my personal folder and later moved to their final path.

By the way, I was using Winrar to extract the files.

Andre Carvalho

ws
2009-05-02, 04:25 PM
That's neat.

I just followed the Autodesk instructions ;)

I've just tried redownloading the tutorial zip files with and without IE protected mode enabled (it's under the Security tab in Options)..

but it makes no difference, on my Vista 64 machine the zip file is always marked as blocked - well if you right click and choose properties it says it 'may' be blocked, but it offers you a button to unblock it and the only way I could get the .chm files to install and work was to click the unblock button.

It isn't something I have come across before with downloaded files.

You can unzip the files to the location, but presumably because the .chm file uses IE to display the pages some security check kicks in when you open the tutorial index and stops the pages displaying because of this hidden tag that the files came from another computer.

I also have Winrar installed.

Anyway... it works now :)

dbaldacchino
2009-05-02, 11:00 PM
William, thanks a ton mate! That was it. It was being blocked. I simply clicked the unblock botton and that did the trick. Very akward indeed.

Brian Myers
2009-05-04, 12:11 PM
I just wanted to add this for people who may be asking "where can these be downloaded"?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=13080067&linkID=9243097

:)

kczege
2009-05-14, 05:22 PM
I am using windows XP and I can not get the tutorials to work. But the blocked issue does not apply here...
I followed the read me file and this is what I get in Revit (see attached image).

(BTW: It is sad, so very sad that Revit is so closely associated with Microsoft. So very sad... the ribbon... the help files using IE... what is up with not even being able to have the tutorial files? Did they even test this before it was sent out to the mass? Sad. Very sad day of Microsoft 'quality' now incorporated to Revit...)

jeffh
2009-05-14, 06:08 PM
I am using windows XP and I can not get the tutorials to work. But the blocked issue does not apply here...
I followed the read me file and this is what I get in Revit (see attached image).

I would try deleting all of the "Tutorials*.CHM" files at this location:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2010\Program

Then place the downloaded CHM files into this location and see if that corrects the issue.

Joef
2009-05-17, 03:13 PM
On the theme of tutorials I decided to view the New Features "Workshop". It says that there are videos included in this "Workshop", but I cannot see any controls nor can I hear any audio. My Flash player is up to date. How do I view these videos?
There is also a link called "Skill Builders" on the Help Tab. I cannot find anything on the link.
I thought that perhaps in the year 2009 some up to date tutorial methods might be explored, but it is the same old Text arrow Text arrow Text in the PDF document. With all the new icons and interface you would have thought at least including some icons in the tutorials would assist the learning process. Perhaps a quick video link in the PDF to illustrate something. Autodesk tutorial materials are virtually unchanged in probably 10 - 15 years. Is this because the Autodesk materials are as the best in the world and cannot be improved upon? I think it is because Autodesk does not really think it is important.

jeffh
2009-05-17, 03:29 PM
On the theme of tutorials I decided to view the New Features "Workshop". It says that there are videos included in this "Workshop", but I cannot see any controls nor can I hear any audio. My Flash player is up to date. How do I view these videos?.

There are no animations in the New Features Workshop. There has never been an audio portion of the New Features Workshop.

There is also a link called "Skill Builders" on the Help Tab. I cannot find anything on the link.

Skill builders are still being developed. They are intended to tutorials on more advanced topics and more focused. The tutorials that are released at the time the product ships is a more basic set of tutorials. We hope to make Skill Builders something more compelling for an advanced user. Stay tuned.

I thought that perhaps in the year 2009 some up to date tutorial methods might be explored, but it is the same old Text arrow Text arrow Text in the PDF document. With all the new icons and interface you would have thought at least including some icons in the tutorials would assist the learning process. Perhaps a quick video link in the PDF to illustrate something. Autodesk tutorial materials are virtually unchanged in probably 10 - 15 years. Is this because the Autodesk materials are as the best in the world and cannot be improved upon? I think it is because Autodesk does not really think it is important.

This year as part of the basic tutorials 2 sections were called out as "Express Workshops" (Detailing and Rendering). These sections were done as a traditional step by step tutorial and they were also done in an animation. In addition to there there are 26 (I think?) animations embedded into the help files. These animations are somethign new to the help and tutorials in Revit 2010.

Joef
2009-05-17, 04:17 PM
There are no animations in the New Features Workshop. There has never been an audio portion of the New Features Workshop.

The opening screen says that they include "animated demonstrations". I misunderstood this to be a video. I didn't see any animated demonstrations either.

Skill builders are still being developed. They are intended to tutorials on more advanced topics and more focused. The tutorials that are released at the time the product ships is a more basic set of tutorials. We hope to make Skill Builders something more compelling for an advanced user. Stay tuned.

I will not adjust the dial. :-)

This year as part of the basic tutorials 2 sections were called out as "Express Workshops" (Detailing and Rendering). These sections were done as a traditional step by step tutorial and they were also done in an animation. In addition to there there are 26 (I think?) animations embedded into the help files. These animations are somethign new to the help and tutorials in Revit 2010.

Can you point me to one of these animations in the help file. This is definitely a step forward.

jeffh
2009-05-18, 01:33 PM
Can you point me to one of these animations in the help file. This is definitely a step forward.

The animations can be found in the help files under the Architectureal Workflows section (not sure exactly which subsections they appear in.)

They can also be found in the Conceptual Design Environment section, specifically in the Froms, Dividing a Surface, Profiles, Pattern Component Families, and Modifying Forms sections.

All of them can be found in one place if you go to the following location and open the "Revit_Help_Animation.chm" file. This is the file that is being directly linked to from within the help.

The tutorials "Express Workshop" animations can be downloaded form the documentation section of the Revit page at Autodesk.com

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=13080310&linkID=9243097

travismv702230
2009-05-18, 01:40 PM
The tutorials "Express Workshop" animations can be downloaded form the documentation section of the Revit page at Autodesk.com

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=13080310&linkID=9243097

Jeff--

The express workshop animations, where are they supposed to go? The tutorial readme file says where to put all of the tutorial files but there is nothing that tells you where to put these animations. Does it matter?

Thanks, Travis

jeffh
2009-05-18, 02:14 PM
Jeff--

The express workshop animations, where are they supposed to go? The tutorial readme file says where to put all of the tutorial files but there is nothing that tells you where to put these animations. Does it matter?

Thanks, Travis

It does not matter. There is not a link to them from within Revit so they can be anywhere you would like to place them to access. It is a CHM file and these sometimes have problems running off of a network resource (depending on Windows settings) so to make sure that will not be an issue I would place them on a local drive where you will be running the file from.

Joef
2009-05-23, 06:06 AM
Jeff,

I just got around to checking out a couple of the animations in the help file. They are just the thing that is needed to get across some of the more complicated aspects of Revit. Could use a hundred or so more of them but its a start anyway.

jeffh
2009-05-23, 02:22 PM
Jeff,

I just got around to checking out a couple of the animations in the help file. They are just the thing that is needed to get across some of the more complicated aspects of Revit. Could use a hundred or so more of them but its a start anyway.

Thanks. Have to start somewhere right? ;-)

kczege
2009-06-01, 09:44 PM
Just FYI for all:
When you download the Revit tutorial files and unzip them (in Windows XP), the TutorialsArchitectureImpENU.chm file AUTOMATICALLY gets locked!!! No warning, no notice.
Before you can have the Revit help menu run, you have to manually go to the properties of the TutorialsArchitectureImpENU.chm file and make sure that it is unlocked, that all macros are allowed and so on.

None of this is straight forward nor intuitive... so I hope you can save some time from our experience.

(I would LOVE to bill Microsoft for our time on this one...)