PDA

View Full Version : 3D Roof Canopy - Curved Beam

prenaptparch
2009-05-04, 04:52 PM
i have a curved glass roof (half barrel shape, see attached image) and i am trying to model a beam along the edge.
i have cut the plan profile of the roof in order to get the curved shape i wanted and i can't seem to sweep a beam or roof fascia along the curved edge. apparently it is because the plane of the edge is not a 2D plane.
somehow when i divided the roof into three segments i got it to pick the the edge during my sweep but i can't seem to get it to do that again (see attached image).

anyone have any ideas how i can model this beam??? perhaps a better way to create the roof to allow me to do this???

mthurnauer
2009-05-04, 08:56 PM
is the cut truly planar? If it is, then you should be able to do it. If you are looking at the roof from the side, does it cut off in what would appear to be a straight line? If so, make a reference plane that aligns with the edge of the roof. Then perform a sweep and have make the sloped reference plane active. Pick the barrel vault to create the sweep path and then pick your beam shape for the profile.

prenaptparch
2009-05-05, 01:46 PM
i don't think it is truly planer. i believe that's why i'm having the problem. see attached profile view of barrel vault.
do you think there is a way around it?
also, is there a way to create a reference plane on a 'z' axis?
i really do appreciate the help.

robert_taylor
2009-05-05, 03:26 PM
NIce! New Year, New Revit, New problems! Do they even test Revit on different platforms? Or do they just throw it in a box and sell it? I'll be staying with 2009 for the awhile longer!